DS Carburettor Heater Hose - handy alternate part
  • Register
  • Help
    UFO

Default DS Carburettor Heater Hose - handy alternate part

My good mate Dragan, who is in the process of getting his D Special back on the road after buying it last year, is a retired mechanic and is patient about sourcing alternate parts at good prices.

He recently got onto a replacement water pump to inlet manifold heater hose. Head to your local parts shop and get a heater outlet hose for a 1976-ON HOLDEN GEMINI p/n 02-0976 by Gates. It will set you back the outrageous sum of around $12 to $15. I think a new genuine Citroen part is around $70.

Advertisement

Dragan advises you then need to trim the hose. Take about 20mm of the end that will fit on the rear of the water pump and about 60mm off the carburettor end. You then need to squeeze a larger diameter pipe or rod into the carburettor end of the hose and carefully heat it and allow it to cool so that it is stretched enough to then go onto the carburettor connection.

Fit the part using good quality hose clamps, top up the system and all should be good.

For our non Aussie AFers who have no idea which Holden I am talking about, here is a Wiki page that may give more info. Basically it was a 1.6l 4 cylinder petrol engine by Isuzu.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isuzu_Gemini
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!

Very handy to know. Filed for the future. Thanks

Good to know, that hose is probably the most neglected on a DS. I got one from Roger Parker at Oleopneumatics in Adelaide for $25. Remember to refit the "doughnut" to the hose to save it being chafed behind the alternator.

I mentioned before I think that it is essential to check that the little drain hose at the bottom of the inlet manifold is in place as otherwise fuel will drip directly onto the water hose and rot it out of sight under the manifold. The drain hose pushes onto a nipple.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS Carburettor Heater Hose - handy alternate part-inlet-manifold.jpg  
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by michaelr View Post
    Good to know, that hose is probably the most neglected on a DS. I got one from Roger Parker at Oleopneumatics in Adelaide for $25. Remember to refit the "doughnut" to the hose to save it being chafed behind the alternator.

I mentioned before I think that it is essential to check that the little drain hose at the bottom of the inlet manifold is in place as otherwise fuel will drip directly onto the water hose and rot it out of sight under the manifold. The drain hose pushes onto a nipple.
    Good info thanks Craig, I have two NOS hoses in stock that I paid a fair bit more for than your Holden jobbies - they do come with the foam doughnut already in place though.

Good advice from Michael too, the other thing to check when fitting is the free flow of coolant at the water-pump mount, these can gum up causing a restriction.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Thread Information