Alloy 16" wheel with offset ET42 on a Xsara VTS - yes or no
  • Register
  • Help

Default Alloy 16" wheel with offset ET42 on a Xsara VTS - yes or no

I ordered 16" wheels and tyres from the UK , I was very very clear I need an offset ET20 and they sent me ET42 with 20mm spacers and said the order was complete , spacers are illegal in Vic , ongoing email swordfight in progress

Due to the fact that the seller is in the UK they have made an early offer of partial compensation and I keep the wheels , I,m also trying to get the Australian office of Wolfrace to make an exchange

Now if the offset is supposed to be ET20 for a Xsara VTS with the factory 15inch wheels , if I did throw my hands up in the air and say I,ll just use them with a 16" wheel with offset ET42 just how big a difference in the scrub radius will it make ? I really don,t want to make the car unsafe or have the tyres rubbing

At the moment I,m stuck with these wheels , so is using 16" wheels with offset ET42 ( spacers would go in the bin ) a very bad idea or ok but not great

Advertisement

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by WEST-VTS View Post
    I ordered 16" wheels and tyres from the UK , I was very very clear I need an offset ET20 and they sent me ET42 with 20mm spacers and said the order was complete , spacers are illegal in Vic , ongoing email swordfight in progress

Due to the fact that the seller is in the UK they have made an early offer of partial compensation and I keep the wheels , I,m also trying to get the Australian office of Wolfrace to make an exchange

Now if the offset is supposed to be ET20 for a Xsara VTS with the factory 15inch wheels , if I did throw my hands up in the air and say I,ll just use them with a 16" wheel with offset ET42 just how big a difference in the scrub radius will it make ? I really don,t want to make the car unsafe or have the tyres rubbing

At the moment I,m stuck with these wheels , so is using 16" wheels with offset ET42 ( spacers would go in the bin ) a very bad idea or ok but not great

How wide are the new wheels?

You can use this calculator to work out exactly where the wheel will sit in relation to the guard.

http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

You really want a 15 offset if there 7 inch wide I'm 99% sure the stock wheels are a 18 offset.

I find http://www.willtheyfit.com/ pretty useful as a calculator

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno View Post
    How wide are the new wheels?

You can use this calculator to work out exactly where the wheel will sit in relation to the guard.

http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp
    The wheels are 16 X 7 Wolfrace Tornado , I,ll have a look at the calculator , thanks for that

Quote Originally Posted by runabout View Post
    You really want a 15 offset if there 7 inch wide I'm 99% sure the stock wheels are a 18 offset.
    Yes , I just went through the manual , it does look like the factory offset is ET18

Looking at the measurements for an offset of ET42 that would mean the outside of the tyre would be 11mm further in from the guard and the inside of the tyre would be 37mm closer to the strut housing , really don,t like the sound of that at all , negative offset

It all gets confusing damn quickly , according to the measurements I really need an offset of ET30 , the outside of the tyre is 1mm closer to the guard and 25mm closer to the strut housing and the steering and handling is not affected , speedo of course down about 2kph being 16"

An offset of ET25 would be easier to get , it does seem that my original selection of offset ET20 might have been a bit close to the guard with the outside of the tyre , if I can organize an exchange with Wolfrace Australia I may have to switch to a different wheel to get the right offset , the seller will have to pay the difference its cheaper for them to do that have to pay to ship them back

Thread Information