Alloy 16" wheel with offset ET42 on a Xsara VTS - yes or no
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Member WEST-VTS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Melbourne Werribee
    Posts
    33

    Default Alloy 16" wheel with offset ET42 on a Xsara VTS - yes or no

    I ordered 16" wheels and tyres from the UK , I was very very clear I need an offset ET20 and they sent me ET42 with 20mm spacers and said the order was complete , spacers are illegal in Vic , ongoing email swordfight in progress

    Due to the fact that the seller is in the UK they have made an early offer of partial compensation and I keep the wheels , I,m also trying to get the Australian office of Wolfrace to make an exchange

    Now if the offset is supposed to be ET20 for a Xsara VTS with the factory 15inch wheels , if I did throw my hands up in the air and say I,ll just use them with a 16" wheel with offset ET42 just how big a difference in the scrub radius will it make ? I really don,t want to make the car unsafe or have the tyres rubbing

    At the moment I,m stuck with these wheels , so is using 16" wheels with offset ET42 ( spacers would go in the bin ) a very bad idea or ok but not great


    .

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Administrator
    mistareno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WEST-VTS View Post
    I ordered 16" wheels and tyres from the UK , I was very very clear I need an offset ET20 and they sent me ET42 with 20mm spacers and said the order was complete , spacers are illegal in Vic , ongoing email swordfight in progress

    Due to the fact that the seller is in the UK they have made an early offer of partial compensation and I keep the wheels , I,m also trying to get the Australian office of Wolfrace to make an exchange

    Now if the offset is supposed to be ET20 for a Xsara VTS with the factory 15inch wheels , if I did throw my hands up in the air and say I,ll just use them with a 16" wheel with offset ET42 just how big a difference in the scrub radius will it make ? I really don,t want to make the car unsafe or have the tyres rubbing

    At the moment I,m stuck with these wheels , so is using 16" wheels with offset ET42 ( spacers would go in the bin ) a very bad idea or ok but not great


    .
    How wide are the new wheels?

    You can use this calculator to work out exactly where the wheel will sit in relation to the guard.

    http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

  3. #3
    Fellow Frogger! runabout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    129

    Default

    You really want a 15 offset if there 7 inch wide I'm 99% sure the stock wheels are a 18 offset.

  4. #4
    Fellow Frogger! frog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    600

    Default

    I find http://www.willtheyfit.com/ pretty useful as a calculator

  5. #5
    Member WEST-VTS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Melbourne Werribee
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mistareno View Post
    How wide are the new wheels?

    You can use this calculator to work out exactly where the wheel will sit in relation to the guard.

    http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp
    The wheels are 16 X 7 Wolfrace Tornado , I,ll have a look at the calculator , thanks for that



    .

  6. #6
    Member WEST-VTS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Melbourne Werribee
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by runabout View Post
    You really want a 15 offset if there 7 inch wide I'm 99% sure the stock wheels are a 18 offset.
    Yes , I just went through the manual , it does look like the factory offset is ET18

    Looking at the measurements for an offset of ET42 that would mean the outside of the tyre would be 11mm further in from the guard and the inside of the tyre would be 37mm closer to the strut housing , really don,t like the sound of that at all , negative offset

    It all gets confusing damn quickly , according to the measurements I really need an offset of ET30 , the outside of the tyre is 1mm closer to the guard and 25mm closer to the strut housing and the steering and handling is not affected , speedo of course down about 2kph being 16"

    An offset of ET25 would be easier to get , it does seem that my original selection of offset ET20 might have been a bit close to the guard with the outside of the tyre , if I can organize an exchange with Wolfrace Australia I may have to switch to a different wheel to get the right offset , the seller will have to pay the difference its cheaper for them to do that have to pay to ship them back

    .

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •