A C5 one year on and suspected suspension issues
  • Register
  • Help
    3CV

Default A C5 one year on and suspected suspension issues

About this time last year I had a life changing experience with my C5. It tested my marriage and took several weeks to fix. The car not my marriage!
    Thankfully the year since has passed without a single hiccup, although I know I shall regret saying that. She's now running beautifully except that of late I feel the suspension is not as forgiving as it should be. My non technical explanation is that there is little of no give when one goes over railway tracks or joints in the road for example, and is felt as a modest "shock" rather than feeling the impact has been absorbed as I would have expected from the ubeaut "hydropneumatic" suspension.
    Is there any way to know whether the rear trailing arms need new kits and is the front suspension similar to the rear?

Advertisement

Is there a source of non OEM kits here in Australia where I can get them for less than around $75 per side with postage about the same for a set from the UK?

And on the subject of Citroen suspension has anybody seen this YouTube clip?
    http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...g-ar90953.html
    If it has done the rounds my apologies.

Hi there 3Cv, you might have to have the suspension tested.
    It's probably got a few dead spheres.
    They either have to be replaced or re-gassed.
    If you are a bit of a mechanic you should be able to replace them yourself. If not, join the local Citroen car club and get help to have them re-gassed or replaced. It will be worth it, the difference in ride will be amazing. You won't feel any bumps any more.
    Cheers...George 1/8th

Quote Originally Posted by George 1/8th View Post
    Hi there 3Cv, you might have to have the suspension tested.
    It's probably got a few dead spheres.
    They either have to be replaced or re-gassed.
    If you are a bit of a mechanic you should be able to replace them yourself. If not, join the local Citroen car club and get help to have them re-gassed or replaced. It will be worth it, the difference in ride will be amazing. You won't feel any bumps any more.
    Cheers...George 1/8th
    But don't do this without reading the manual first or working with C5 experienced mechanics. The pressurised reservoir C5 system can make a bit of mess if not correctly depressurised and restored. The spheres are designed to have a much longer life than those of the DS, the membrain technology has moved on, so although I would always attempt to regas a DS or CX genration sphere, my approach would be to replace the C5 spheres and not bother.
    Note the advice on working under these cars at the top of the Forum.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Fellow Frogger

C5 'slimline' or 'saucer' spheres are not regassable as they are filled and then closed with a rivet. You can get an idea of a flat sphere just by pushing each corner of the car down. If one is hard, then it's probably flat. They all need to be removed to have them checked properly using a testing rig that the dealer (and some others) will have.

This seems like an opportune time for a reminder to would be DIY-ers ... For anyone used to earlier LHM cars, you DO NOT check the level in a C5 (or C6) by putting it to it's maximum height and topping up the reservoir - DS to XM/Xantia style. If you do, you will overfill it with LDS and probably split the reservoir. Without the full de-pressurising step, set it to the lowest setting and make sure the level is about at the reservoir's seam. A bit harder with the later black reservoirs.

Thread Information