BX 16 Valve - done something stupid...
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default BX 16 Valve - done something stupid...

Hi all,

I spent the weekend doing routine maintenance stuff - changed the engine oil and filter and replaced the LHM. I pulled off the big rubber hose that runs from the air cleaner to throttle body so that I could remove the cold air intake hose so that I could get to the bleed screw on the accumulator. I got the LHM changed, put it all back together and I now have the engine check light on constantly.

I guess I've managed to unplug some engine sensor somewhere, but despite staring at the engine for hours and swearing at it in any number of languages, I can't see what I've done.

Advertisement

So, my questions are:
    - Anyone done this before and has a pointer to share?
    - And can anyone point me to somewhere on the web with the engine check codes and how to retrieve them? I remember seeing an article somewhere that described fault codes displayed by flashing the engine check light. I *think* you had to jumper a connector in the engine bay.

Thanks!
    Duncan

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Did you disconnect the battery ?? If so, try the alarm remote. the car maybe imobilised.

If it's an aussie delivered car it'll likely have a mongoose alarm fitted.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Peugeotlogic has a blurb on the procedure - but no pictures.

How to extract fault codes

If you really can't find any plugs missing, I guess the first step is to make sure the hose is on properly and clamped (and that there are no splits in the hose) and take it for a drive. It could just be a massive air leak that it's complaining about.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Tadpole

Thanks gents,

The engine check light doesn't extinguish before the engine starts which is why I'm pretty sure it's a sensor issue.

The alarm is long gone, so definitely not that... :-)

Thanks for the link - that's exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks,
    Duncan

Here is the factory manual on how to extract the codes.

ECU Fault Codes

It's reasonably easy if you rig up some twisted pair wire back to the drivers position. I don't even worry about a push button switch. Just hold the wires together for 3-4 secs. Once you have the code, it's easy to identify which sensor is faulty. I'm going to take a punt on the canister purge valve.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

If you started the engine before putting the big rubber hose back on, or before tightening the clamps on it, or before plugging the sensor back in on the side of the air filter, then the MAF would register a fault (too much air) and will keep it until you retrieve and clear it.

Cheers, Erik

No, it doesn't work like that. If there is a fault, it will be recorded until cleared. If you fix the fault, it will still be stored until cleared, but the light will go out. So it's possible to have multiple faults stored, showing the history of faults. If the fault remains, such as the knock sensor being disconnected, the light will remain on until the fault is corrected. Under this condition for example, the ECU drops into limp home mode, severely retarding the ignition advance.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Sounds like the AFM conector plug is faulty or not connected propely this has happend to me after i replaced dizzy cap , leads , lamda sensor , fly wheel sensor (the one on top of gearbox) , idle motor.............. turned out to be something simple my connector was a bit dodgy too
    Dan

Tadpole

Thanks everyone,

I put the regassed spheres back on last night and the engine started and ran faultlessly - the error cleared itself.

No doubt it'll be back... :-)

Cheers,
    Duncan

Thread Information