C5 Series one wagon - replacing rear door struts?
  • Register
  • Help
    UFO

Default C5 Series one wagon - replacing rear door struts?

A friend in the CCC of NSW who uses the interwebs very little has a very nicely kept C5 series 1 2l wagon. The gas struts for assisting and holding the rear door open have lost pressure and he is currently carrying a length of timber in the boot to prop the door open. This of course is not "wife acceptable".

At a recent BBQ day he asked me if I knew how to get the struts off. Full of bravado I walked over to the car thinking "piece of p1ss", until I opened the tailgate and found that it does not have exposed struts, but they run horizontally in the headlining! You can see the rear end of them and they have the usual clip arrangement, but we did not venture further.

So we came up with two possible ways that this job may be attacked.

Advertisement

1/ Perhaps the forward end of the struts sit in a "well" to locate them and when you remove the rear end near the hinge the whole strut just comes out

or

2/ The headlining has to be removed to access the forward end of the strut.

Does anyone know the answer? Please advise.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    A friend in the CCC of NSW who uses the interwebs very little has a very nicely kept C5 series 1 2l wagon. The gas struts for assisting and holding the rear door open have lost pressure and he is currently carrying a length of timber in the boot to prop the door open. This of course is not "wife acceptable".

At a recent BBQ day he asked me if I knew how to get the struts off. Full of bravado I walked over to the car thinking "piece of p1ss", until I opened the tailgate and found that it does not have exposed struts, but they run horizontally in the headlining! You can see the rear end of them and they have the usual clip arrangement, but we did not venture further.

So we came up with two possible ways that this job may be attacked.

1/ Perhaps the forward end of the struts sit in a "well" to locate them and when you remove the rear end near the hinge the whole strut just comes out

or

3/ give it a nice coat of paint in her favorite colour or stain
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo View Post
    3/ give it a nice coat of paint in her favorite colour or stain

Go with this one
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post

http://www.citroen-owners-club.co.uk...l-from-estate/

Quote Originally Posted by fatgut
    Time for a mini update on this. Yes the strut does have the conventional threequarters of a circle clip at the 'easily' accessible (rear) end which springs off with a screwdriver easily(finding where it landed takes an age though!). Yes the socket does prise off the ball with a large screwdriver in the usual manner. Then it would not release as hoped as the front end is secured by a C shaped circlip that required the headlining to be dopped down further in order to access it, so I gave up at that point as was absolutely freezing. The socket of the strut was knocked back onto the ball using a drift and a mallet, and then ever since the tailgate hasn't seemed to sag as much. So I've sprayed the exposed bit of both tailgate struts with WD40, and am seeing how it goes. Still unsure whether there would have been enough room to wiggle the gas strut out of the tunnel once disconnected, but at a guess would say more likely than not. Otherwise will be a tailgate off job, but doesn't sound too hard based on the above post. Word of warning - all this was a 2 person job, and the tailgate is clearly VERY heavy based on the extra effort required to hold it up once just 1 strut was disconnected. 2 props advisable. The other obvious thing to point out is that a temporary way round the low tailgate problem is to use that weird button just inside the boot to raise the rear of the car on the suspension. We had never once used it in 5 years, and had forgotten its existance until recently- DOH!
    Starting to look like painting the broom handle is the easy option (thanks 'rambo)

I've just replaced ours on the hatch 10 minutes as both ends are exposed... I'm sure David S will have the correct info - good luck

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Dťesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Dťesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Dťesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

UFO

Thanks GB. I have forwarded the link.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thread Information