XM Parking brake stuck on
  • Register
  • Help

Default XM Parking brake stuck on

Hi 'Froggers,

Others may have left their heart in San Francisco - I have left my XM in a Melbourne carpark! And for what seems to be such a trivial reason: the parking brake is stuck on.

Went to drive off, pulled the hand release back, which seemed to work as usual, but the parking pedal remained locked and brake did not disengage. It seems that the cable from the hand release to the pedal mechanism has come adrift leaving the ratchet on the parking brake firmly engaged.

I got some tools and removed the cover below the dash, making the pedal mechanism (slightly) more accessible. I'd hoped to pry a pawl off a racket or simple, but nothing like that was identifiable. The only accessible thing to do looked like removing the bolts which hold the pedal in place (although one turns out to be semi-captive due to the heater pipes). Half way through this I got worried that it might either spring apart like a clock spring, probably in my face, and be impossible to put back together and/or not free anything. So I gave up.

I now have lots of downloaded diagrams of the park brake mechanism but no clear idea of what to do. Advice on sites is conflicting. A post on planete-citroen implies it is possible to get in there and pull the mechanism to release the ratchet. Nice, but I can't even find where the cable from the hand release ends up. Perhaps it's more accessible on left-hand drive cars. A poster on club-xm found that removing the two bolts alone that I was attacking did not free the pedal.

I suppose the number of Aussiefroggers who have dealt with stuck XM parking brakes is very small, but if anyone has any ideas, I'd be grateful. There doesn't even seem to be any point in calling the RACV!

Andrew

Advertisement

I have worked on the main parking brake cables on an XM but not the release cable. I think Shane has and I seem to recall it was awkward. Every time I release the parking brake on an XM I apply a little pressure to the pedal before I pull the release lever. This reduces the pressure on the pawl and the load on the release cable. Not much help to you now, I realise.

Roger

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

oh gee's,

yeah I replaced the cable .... It was "fun" like everything on the XM. I'll go see if i can find any piccies that show the pedal., It shouldn't be to difficult to release ( If I was stuck somewhere I probably would have just unbolted the cable at the wheels rather than try to get into THAT dashboard).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Looks like you just need to release the ratchet. The problem is you'll need someone to stand on the pedal and take the load off the ratchet so you can release it.

I probably described how to change it 5years back when I did it, but the posts are all lost now.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XM Parking brake stuck on-footbrake2.jpg   XM Parking brake stuck on-footbrake5.jpg   XM Parking brake stuck on-fottbrake4.jpg  
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

UFO

You could possibly use a length of timber with a locating V cut in one end to wedge onto the park brake pedal then the other end against the left side of the seat frame and use the electric seat to gently apply some pressure as it creeps forward.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

A big thank-you to Shane for posting the photos - they made things so much easier. In situ, the mechanism is hidden by the blue/grey structural member to which it's attached. Dropped down, as in Shane's photo I got a good idea of

I needed to remove more dashboard to gain access. Then, releasing the ratchet was simply a matter of levering the part where you can see the remains of the cable with a small screw driver. This isn't under tension Ė just push it back far enough and the ratchet releases, as per photo. I did take a notched piece of timber (and a foot) but neither were necessary.

Replacing the cable will be 'interesting,' particularly fixing the end in place. In the meantime, the biggest problem will be remembering not to put the brake on before it's fixed.

It's amazing that you get some of the best advice on these cars in a country where they are rare.

Thanks again,

Andrew
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XM Parking brake stuck on-xm-parking-brake-release.jpg  

Tadpole

Too late I know (hope you got it sorted fine)...but my general tip is if you don't need a parking brake then do not use it:-

One thing I do on every car....unless conditions dictate otherwise (hill/slope/force 12 winds), I never use the parking brake.
    Older cars without self adjusters, generally means the use of the parking brake and cycling causes it to go out of adjustment.

On cars with automatic self adjusters, where this in theory is not a problem, it still puts the cable under tension cycling that eventually causes failure.
    I once had a broken handbrake cable on an XM (and a Visa)...so it keeps the tension cycle down (just like aircraft metal fatigue).

In the past I have been living between three countries and at one time owned cars in the UK, South Africa and New Zealand, so I prefer to leave them parked up with no parking brake on, for obvious "sticking" reasons.

Some people may be tempted to say that the cars need a parking brake cycle to keep it "free and adjusted"..I agree. But it gets sufficient use naturally those times it is required and used. If I feel it needs it, then I cycle it once in a while.

In this way I have had handbrakes on (disc brake) 2CV's last for years in the past without needing further adjustment. I think that is unheard of in 2CV's if you use the handbrake on it everytime you stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    I have worked on the main parking brake cables on an XM but not the release cable. I think Shane has and I seem to recall it was awkward. Every time I release the parking brake on an XM I apply a little pressure to the pedal before I pull the release lever. This reduces the pressure on the pawl and the load on the release cable. Not much help to you now, I realise.

Roger
    i am with roger on this,put a little pressure on the pedal, never had a problem with my cables.

Thread Information