Determining the condition of a DS
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Determining the condition of a DS

A couple of months ago I received a phone call from a couple that had moved to my area from interstate. They were keen to purchase a DS that was in good condition that didn't require restoration. They'd owned 2CV's in the past but always hankered for a "D". They came over to my shed and I gave them as much information as possible, so they could give a good assessment of the condition of a car that they might be looking at. I gave them an example of a situation of a car that I once owned. It was the 1966 ID Conforte that originally was imported to the NZ Embassy in Auckland. It went into private ownership and painted gold, hence the name; Goldie Girl. After bringing the car over to Queensland, a lot of work was done to the engine and gearbox but the body looked just fine. Being a Conforte, It had the DS engine and some DS spec eg. carpets. My family had some wonderful years owning Goldie Girl and I'm sure some of you remember it at CIT-INS. "Richo" from Tasmania called me one day and asked me if the car was for sale. Ofcourse I replied saying it wasn't and would always remain a family car. I loved Goldie Girl. Richo was keen because Goldie had the spec to enable it (with alot of work) to be converted to a Hydraulique. He rang back and said " There must be an offer that I couldn't refuse." I named a price and laughed knowing it would be higher than he would want to pay. It wasn't. He was flying up, camera in hand to inspect the car. He was keen! I had never seen anything like it. He took photos of the interior, underneath, a bit of rust at the front in the box section and everywhere imagineable. I was confident, it was a good car but emphasized it was my "fun" car. He would be buying "as is" as I'd told him I really hadn't gone any further. The carpet underlay rubber had stuck to the floor so I never found a need to destroy it, to look underneath.So to finally get to the point; Here was a buyer that thought he knew the condition of the car. He had all the information he needed,flew home and then let me know,"we had a deal" Richo was to fly back and drive the car back South, stopping in Melbourne to let David Greis do some tidying up. As the car had been fitted with a sunroof, I supplied another roof(strapped on top) and a newly reconditioned Plaides Hydraulic pump. It was sad to see Goldie Girl go but it was in good hands. It didn't take long! Richo emailed me a batch of photos of the rust that was present in the front of the floor, all hidden by that plush carpet. I still have that email. He wasn't happy and I didn't blame him. What a mess he had to try to repair. I wasn't a member of Aussie Frogs then, but I imagine those that were; heard about it .
    So it's not easy to determine the condition of a DS especially when "the heart is pumping" when you find the car you're after.
    So I found out that the situation certainly hasn't improved all these years later. My friends had $15000 to spend and inspected a number of cars. They weren't good, and the more they looked, the more it became, just too difficult. They went back to what they knew, and bought a Dyane instead. It has reassured me to hang onto what I've got, and. I have learned the lesson of not just having a car for "fun". I now know what to look for and keep on top things that could get nasty in the future.
    Dare I ask --- How is Goldie Girl ? Michael

Advertisement

670 words odd and not a paragraph. Makes for very difficult reading

Default Not just D's but any car.

Hi IDear,

Although we're Citroen people what you say really relates to any car. Not just knowing your stuff about any particular make or model but avoiding getting carried away with the excitement of it all.

In the case of D's it is the structure that is paramount. High mileage and worn mechanicals can be dealt with, even if expensively, but a rusted frame can mean the end. It is all very well taking pictures of the interior if you're concerned about originally or condition but a severely rusted car can just be too uneconomic to repair. If you're wishing to collect info of what to look for I'll chip in with the following:

Be wary of 'fun cars' as you call them. I imagine you mean 2nd or weekend cars. It my experience D's do not like sitting around, even in nice garages. They will quietly start to rust. Secondly, watch out for rust! I was always told that D's are like icebergs when it comes to rust, you will only see a tiny percent of what is there. It's really a case of wings off and road mud scrapped off.

I must say, however, that I wouldn't be too put out by Goldie. You say that it's a 1966 and someone found was rust in the front floor. For a 45 year old 'fun car' that's not really too bad, eh?

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Richo hasn't mentioned the car. He's just not that sort of person

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Thread Information