Best way of painting DS front lights plastic enclosure?
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Best way of painting DS front lights plastic enclosure?

Back in the past there was a very well described Aussiefrogs post regarding the preparation and painting of the plastic housing for the DS headlights. I think it might have got lost when the site had a meltdown. As I am now in the situation of having to replace the lights in my DS23 Safari, I would like to take the opportunity of renovating the enclosure which is looking very shabby with peeling paint etc. I vaguely remember that the primer coat was of importance and a commonly found grey spray paint was recommended for a good finish. Any ideas?

Advertisement

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by Perryair View Post
    Back in the past there was a very well described Aussiefrogs post regarding the preparation and painting of the plastic housing for the DS headlights. I think it might have got lost when the site had a meltdown. As I am now in the situation of having to replace the lights in my DS23 Safari, I would like to take the opportunity of renovating the enclosure which is looking very shabby with peeling paint etc. I vaguely remember that the primer coat was of importance and a commonly found grey spray paint was recommended for a good finish. Any ideas?
    Page 1 of my D Special rejuvenation thread shows how I tackled mine, plastic primer and acrylic lacquer, though they have not yet seen the light of day the finish has proved to be tough and durable.

GreenBlood’s D(very)Special Rejuvenation 2009>

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

DS

You could always buy new ones. I don't think they are expensive. They will always look better than painted ones.
    http://www.citroworld.com/tableaux/i...=77&itemId=907
    Citroen Car Club of New South Wales member.

My Citroen ID21F can be seen here http://www.flickr.com/photos/frontdr...7605999522616/

Remove existing paint, sand with 600 w/d, degrease, spray with aerosol of the plastic primer used on bumpers. Spray a matt white acrylic. Stand back and admire.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

UFO

Mine were painted by tractionfan years ago (while he was still pretending to be a spray painter) and they have lasted fantastically.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Scrub with a mild detergent, rinse with fresh running water, dry well then spray with Anchor Bond touch-up paint, colour:- Lysaght/Colorbond Dune/Birch. This is extremely close to the original colour plastic and dries to a satin finish like the original.
    DS 21
    C4 HDI
    Piaggio Fly 125

Tadpole

Default Thanks for thoughtful advice.

Thank you for the ideas offered concerning restoring the front light enclosures for my D. They all seem like valid solutions and I am bound to use one of them for sure.Hopefully they will also be a useful reference to other D restoration projects in the future. I will let you know what method I decide on and will post the result. Many thanks once again.

Thread Information