xantia series 1 engine removal
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default xantia series 1 engine removal

I am currently removing the engine/gearbox unit (to make it an electric car, will put in a separate thread in due course).

Advertisement

The Haynes toilet paper book says to hoist the engine by its lifting brackets on the cylinder head, no brackets there nor any detail in the book on where to fix the brackets or what form they take.

I intend to put a plate across 4 tappet cover bolts & fix it with nuts to these bolts, fit an eye bolt to the plate. Then put a plate at each end of the block (2 plates & eyes). Is this the correct procedure & will it take the weight?

Any help gratefully received.

Regards

agd123

Default xantia engine removal

Hi there 'agd123',
    you might have chosen the wrong car for a conversion to electric, Xantias are a pretty heavy car. Sure the electric motors can move anything, such as trains full of people, but at what price?
    All of the successful conversions I've seen have been on much lighter vehicles without hydraulic suspension.
    I was considering doing that to a BX which was a very light car, but the main issue for me was that the High pressure pump would have to be powered continually by an electric motor, which would continually restrict the cars total mileage unnecessarily compared to a normally sprung car.

To answer your question about hoisting out the engine, since the engine is not being re-used you could chain the engine to a hoist via the exhaust manifold and the gearbox.
    There should be plenty of mounting points, but don't hang the engine by the rocker cover because that is plastic. I wouldn't get anywhere near the underneath of that one.

BTW, once you remove the engine and most likely, the HP pump, the suspension will settle down.
    If you don't retain the hydraulics you would end up with a car with no power steering, no brakes, and no suspension.
    I would assume you have a plan to retain all of these functions somehow....good luck with that .

I think an electric car conversion is a great idea, but I wouldn't pick a Xantia. The Xsara or a C4 would work better for me I reckon.
    Let us know how it goes.
    Cheers....George 1/8th

JBN

George, you have solved most of the Xantias problems. Just remove the engine and nothing else will go wrong. Lateral thinking at its best.

I wouldn't convert a Xantia to electric. My only problems with the Xantia have all been electrical. Changing the engine to electric is like putting out a fire by hosing it with a flammable liquid.

John

I'm interested how you will make the hydraulics work.
    406 D8 V6 manual

Fellow Frogger!

I have a C5 pump which is electric so hydraulics are ok, weight is not a problem at highway speed, wind resistance is the major drag item. I have plenty of power with the chosen motors, up to 200kW. More on the details in a new thread a bit later.

I have removed the plastic tappet cover, it is the 10 studs that hold the cover in place, cover removed there is enough thread to take a mounting plate. But what is the intended lifting point for the engine?

Thanks for the comments so far.

Regards

agd123

Hi, I had a look at mine today. Mine has two lifting points, there from manufacture...yours should also be there. One hook point is right near the belt cover on the left side, the other is near the air intake on the right side. Both look the same, and will take the weight of the engine. Have a close look for yours.
    Cheers...George 1/8th

Hey John,
    I think electric engined cars will just be more common in the future. It's not the electrics of the Xantia that would cause issues, it's the car's overall weight and the fact that you need to continually power the HP pump. I think it would be worth it, if you could get the engine management system that General Motors had in their electric car.

Cheers...George 1/8th

Thread Information