Citroen CX tie rod end
  • Register
  • Help

Default Citroen CX tie rod end

Hi everybody!

Its been a very long time already not to visit this forum. Shame on me when appear when I need help.

Anyway, just a brief intro... my nickname is citroneer and I bought a CX from Andrew D last January. There few updates about the my life with the lovely "french mistress"... hahahah.. that I always wish to share here BUT I have been terribly busy with my thesis writing all this while. Maybe soon I'll upload some photos. By the way that CX is always fantastic and bring me smile even when I'm always stress with uni work daily..

My CX is due for REGO and need to replace the tie rod end (RH). At the moment, I'm looking around for that particular spare part. It seems to be there are few things that actually concern me when I'm about to buy it online.

Can anybody advice me the right way to choose since there are few options as such:

Advertisement

1. with or without steering knuckle.

2. manual?/DIRAVI steering/power steering
    (all this while I just assumed that all CX is fitted with DIRAVI, therefore the part should be the same -please correct me if I'm wrong, I wish someone can really explain this if there is a different type of power steering in CX models)

My CX is CX2400 (1981) manual

I found that some tie rod end are short and some are long. I could not confirm the one that fitted in my car since I haven't removed it yet.

3.Any suggestion where is the best to buy is online / local part shop?

All feedback from others is highly apreciated!

Thanks

AX 1.1 (Malaysia)
    BX 1.9 Diesel (Malaysia)
    CX 2400 Pallas (Aussie)
    ZX 16V (Malaysia)

Preowned...

CX Pallas 2.0 TRE (1985)
    DS 20 Pallas (1968) Dad's car

Yours is with diravi steering. If only the outer balljoint is worn then you need a tie rod end but if the inner is worn then you need the knuckle.

There are two lengths of inner rod ends (knuckle ) and two lengths of tie rods. I think 81 is a cut off year when they changed from narrow to wide track. My 81 prestige is with narrow track, I think. Narrow track = short tie rod ends.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
    C5 Touring 2008, CX 2400ie Prestige '81 (with dead gerbox), CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic '80, CX2400 Super Familiale C-Matic '79 (to be scrapped very soon) , CX2400i Familiale 5-spd (to be scrapped), GS 1220 Wagon '78 (next project), ID19 '64
    CX Register

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

You need to verify the car isn't a narrow arch car with wide track. The way to replace the tack rods is by length. You need to match the length of the existing one.

Both early and late cars have short and long inner tierod ends (DON'T use this as a guide to there suitability!). There was a batch of "bad" inner tierod ends doing the rounds many years ago, but they would have to be all gone these days (did I end up with all of them here ).

You can buy the whole tracking rod quite cheaply on ebay UK these days. I have no idea if the quality is any good. THe best alternative is to watch ebay australia. Someone is listing a pair of NOS tierods that will likely fit your car (bugger I was hoping to find the money myself to buy these at some point ). But if you can get them, go for it!! There quality should be good given there NOS.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Hi guys,

Thank you for replying. Bot of you are correct. I haven't removed my tie rod end yet. But I did inspect the worn side again. I believed that mine got long type, and only the tie rod end is worn but the knuckle is still good. The wobbly movement is came only from the tie rods end. BUT I guess I should get a complete set with knuckle just for spare.

I shopped around on ebay australia and uk/franc. There few best option but came with pros and cons as well.

Shane, you are right, someone is listing a pair NOS tie rods complete with knuckle at the moment, BUT it is very very expensive for me. Same to the one listed by a guy in Melbourne (2nd hand part). Both price are nearly double not including postage. I watched at this particular item for month already. I'm sure you did too Shane!

There is a good company in UK on ebay which have the stock (new complete-tie rod end with knuckle). they even can provide a proper compatibility check for part that we are looking with a reasonable price BUT unfortunately they refused to ship it to Australia. I believe many of us here already came across with this company (acepart_uk).

However, I just ended up buying one side NOS tie rod end without knuckle from someone in UK with quarter price (including postage) from what I can get from Australia. Quality wise not sure at all!! But to be honest, I still tempted with the pair listed on ebay australia. Shane, you still have a chance... keep watching... Hahahha and good luck!

Anyway, thank you so much for all replies. Hopefully the "french mistress" will keep going...

I uploaded some unsorted photo of my new look CX, on my flickers.. just for sharing! please check the link below..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2478503...n/photostream/

AX 1.1 (Malaysia)
    BX 1.9 Diesel (Malaysia)
    CX 2400 Pallas (Aussie)
    ZX 16V (Malaysia)

Preowned...

CX Pallas 2.0 TRE (1985)
    DS 20 Pallas (1968) Dad's car

Tadpole

Default cx2400 tie rod ends

Hello Citroeneer
    I am in desperate need of both left & right tie rod ends for my '78 CX.
    Could you possibly pass on your details of your contact in the UK.

Thank you.
    Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by shaw rogers View Post
    Hello Citroeneer
    I am in desperate need of both left & right tie rod ends for my '78 CX.
    Could you possibly pass on your details of your contact in the UK.

Thank you.
    Shaw
    NNNNOOOoooooo...... Stop for a sec ..... a '78 model CX will likely have the yoke type inner tierod joints. DON'T BUY THE ONES WERE TALKING ABOUT WITHOUT CHECKING !!!!

You can easily pick these joints as there will be adjustment "tubes" on the tierods. The good news is I'm sure you could re-bush these with neotholane (spelling ?) bushes turned down from your local autoparts store

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Fellow Frogger

1978 CX should have the rubber bush inner joint and shorter tie-rods. If the rack is leaking, the rubber bushes are probably soggy and can even disintegrate leaving a a metal on metal loose feeling. Pull back the boot and have a look to see what's there. If the bush has failed, changing just the tie-rod end won't fix it. I have a memory that some people used to fit a Pug bush to the knuckle, but the pin is pressed in and peened over, so it needs replacement too. If the rack leaks, any replacement bush will fail prematurely. I'm not sure if you can fit the later type tierod assembly with the steel knuckle as I suspect the track it's designed for is wider.

I tried the puegeot bush at one point ..... Lasted me about 3weeks Rebuilt engine mounts at the time didn't last me much longer either.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    I tried the puegeot bush at one point ..... Lasted me about 3weeks Rebuilt engine mounts at the time didn't last me much longer either.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Yes, that's what I'd thought was the likely outcome. Urethane would be a better option, but you still have to make the pin to hold it all together as there not enough room for a bolt as I recall. Urethane would survive a leaky rack much better than most rubber bushes.

Have a look here

http://cx-basis.de/eshop/index.php?c...5644c971482320

Scroll down to the bottom and you will see some track rods around 100 euro. Don't know what prices they want for them here but with the value of the Euro compared to the $A they could be good value. Note that they will charge 40 ecru postage so it might help to have a look around for some other parts you need and get them at the same time and save
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Thread Information