C5 front rotors and pads down in cost
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default C5 front rotors and pads down in cost

I ended up at McCarrols today re the C4 headlight globe replacement which they did for nothing, and I could not believe it. Plus they changed the key over for one I got from China off eBay, the replacement here costing close to $400 so I was told.

Advertisement

They have a C5 going at a great price, end of financial year sale, which interests me.

I asked Tony the service manager about brakes, and he said they were the one thing to consider.

All of the other positives and negatives are noted from an earlier posting.

He said front brakes and pads need replacement depending on driving at between 25 and 30ks. I knew that, bu he said the front pads and rotors are now about $620 to do. He said rear pads go first, but I didn't get a figure.

I thought front would be much dearer. So a bit of a surprise, but still not great having to do at all with that mileage, but I feel that knowing up front, softens the blow a bit.

The car on special is a diesel, which I still think is better buying than a petrol.

Chris Mortimer

Fellow Frogger

Diesel 2 litre I assume, but with coil springs or spheres? The model with coil springs loses the electric handbrake, which is no great loss, has Halogen lamps not HID's and there will be other differences. Just make sure you know what you are looking at when you consider the car. Nothing wrong with the coil spring models and it would appeal to many people wanting a larger car but not the hydraulics.

Fellow Frogger!

Default C5

Hi David,

It is a 2.0 comfort model in diesel. I am assuming it has the real suspension we all love. I will do some homework first, you are dead right. Thanks, Chris

Fellow Frogger

If it's correctly called a 'Comfort', then it should have spheres, but check the build date on the stick on label on one of the pillars as well as the stamped compliance date. The current lineup has other model names and I was sure Comfort had been replaced by Attraction, Seduction ... Rejection (?) or whatever. They come with coil springs in both 1.6 Petrol turbo and 2.0HDi form.

Fellow Frogger!

David,

I enjoyed your model line up description.

Anything to escape the BLOODY football that has this state obsessed tonight.

Fascination, Remorse, Agitation, Regret, Deflation, Curse, Gremlin ( Oh that one has been done before ) could be other model name considerations.

I had a peek at a new Maserati today in a shopping centre, used as a promotion for a lottery .. took great delight in informing the ticket seller that my C5 had superior lights that shone around corners, but bought a book of tickets anyway.

Fellow Frogger!

Default C5

David, we had a talk today, the dealer and I.

It is a 2010 build, 2011 complied c5 comfort 2.0 diesel. First rego April 2011. Has spheres too.

Low kilometres and good price.

My only issue is running costs. Brakes especially, and this one has had pads recently, will need front rotors and pads soon.

So thinking hard tonight. Might do.

Chris Mortimer

Fellow Frogger

Aftermarket discs and pads should be available. Even genuine through other sources? Perhaps, price them via an independent like EAI or Dapco Auto France (as they are now known) as a comparison. There shouldn't be anything unusual about changing discs and pads provided whoever does the work knows about the electric handbrake on the rear wheels. You might be best to work the job into the purchase cost as a dealer is often likely to factor it in at their internal price instead of retail when they are trying to sell a car. Especially during June ...

Also think about tyres - options, cost and availability depending on what sized rims it's wearing.

Could someone please explain why this issue has become a serious point of discussion? I have owned C5's since 2003 and have never believed brake rotors and pads would need replacing at so low a distance traveled.
    NO car I have owned (I have been driving since 1960) have had this problem, as far as I am aware.
    Is it that I am not as particular as some?
    Is it the driving environment, poor quality materials. super hard/abrasive pads?. I do very little city driving, maybe this is why I don't seem to have had an issue so far.
    This discussion on the latest C5 does concern me somewhat.
    Allan

Fellow Frogger!

Default C5

tassie c5,

You may either be light on the brakes, or doing highway kilometres.

Both the service manager of a major Sydney dealership and the manger of sales at their showroom confirmed this today when I brought up the high rate of wear.

Yes, most common at 25 to 30000ks. Brake pads rear at under 20,000, front rotors and pads 25-30.

This seems weird, and if I change my mind about this car, will probably be the reason. Still thinking!!!

That is dealer servicing, and what they will hit you for on service. Common knowledge it seems as there have been several posts confirming that this has been done through regular maintenance with these cars.

So good to know what you are in for.

Chris Mortimer

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by tasie C5 View Post
    Could someone please explain why this issue has become a serious point of discussion?

I do very little city driving, maybe this is why I don't seem to have had an issue so far.
    You've answered your own question.

As for alternatives, I reckon ATE ceramic brake pads would be the solution. Same stopping performance, but with less black dust and reduced wear.

They're distributed in Australia by HSY Autoparts. If you purchase both discs and pads through them, they offer a 3 year/50,000 km warranty!

Agree with Tasie, brake parts replacement is also not an issue for me. I have done 90k and have replaced pads once only and am on the original rotors. I have purchased rotors from Caravelle for $125 (front only) ready for when they are required. Obviously brake wear is not an issue for me.

I was interested to learn that the 2.0 litre HDI has steel coil suspension. Now that is an issue for me
    2014 C5 2.2 HDI Limited Edition Sedan
    2007 C5 2.2 HDI Hatchback
    2007 C4 1.6 HDI EGS Sedan
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

When checking the rotors for wear. What thickness do they start out at and what is the safe minimum thickness that can be tolerated.

Ps. Are they ventilated disks (hollow through the middle) or solid. Does this relate to wear criteria.

Fellow Frogger!

Ceenine

I was interested to learn that the 2.0 litre HDI has steel coil suspension. Now that is an issue for me
    The either / or suspension is only available on the newer C5s after 2008.
    The logic from Citroen was to have an executive style car for the lease market. Presumably the steel suspension is marketed for simplicity, reliability, and more predictable service costs.

Or perhaps it's a status thing. For junior executives!

David

Fellow Frogger!

When checking the rotors for wear. What thickness do they start out at and what is the safe minimum thickness that can be tolerated.
    There are three different sets of front discs depending on the engine:

Diameter = 304 mm
    Original thickness = 28 mm
    Min. thickness = 26 mm

Diameter = 330 mm
    Original thickness = 30 mm
    Min. thickness = 28 mm

Diameter = 340 mm (3.0 V6 HDi)
    Original thickness = 30 mm
    Min. thickness = 28 mm

Are they ventilated disks (hollow through the middle) or solid
    All front discs are ventilated.

The rear disc (diam. = 290 mm, orig. thickness = 12 mm, min. thickness = 10 mm) with or without electronic handbrake, is solid.

Does this relate to wear criteria.
    My feeling is that, compared to the C5 II, the C5 III is not a particularly light car, which would have an impact on wear, especially if driven in urban areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceenine View Post
    In many markets, the hydropneumatic suspension was optional for the 2.0 HDi. But it was only recently that the 2.0 HDi with steel suspension was introduced in Australia.

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_vert View Post
    In many markets, the hydropneumatic suspension was optional for the 2.0 HDi. But it was only recently that the 2.0 HDi with steel suspension was introduced in Australia.
    I think it makes good sense to have a C5 with coils in the lineup for those people wanting to move up in size from a C4, say, but refusing to consider a Picasso or a car with hydraulic suspension. It adds very little to the spares a dealer has to carry and many bits would be the same as for a Pug. You can always pay more (about the same as before the coil suspension C5 arrived) and buy one with hydraulic suspension if you want.

Fellow Frogger!

Default C5

I saw the car today, and it is a 2010 build 2011 model, red with dark grey cloth and leather trim.

I couldn't bond with it or get excited for some reason, but am certain it will be a great car for someone wanting one. I bought a petrol car new in 2002, and a V6 in 2006. Owned two at once for a period.

It was an ex loan car and had many signs of wear, although the guys I talked to described it as immaculate and were literally drooling over it on the phone. Rock up and you see instantly that many have driven.

On the positive, they are good on fuel, must be comfy, safe and solid.

On the downside, it did not have front sensors, they would have to cop a waking on the front end, and this car was scraped there.. Some ripples and fine scratches, rear of driver and passenger seats as if some toddler or baby had scraped scratches in each, carpets fair for a one year old car, and a tired vibe. Tyres ok, worst at rear. Scratching on the plastics up front, so for a one old car, I thought it was tired.

On paper, a good buy at $32590.

They are an interesting car, and feel big like the old model.

Great boot, low slung driving stance. In Comfort spec, they have all of what you need, but not a luxury feel, more practical.

They had some demo C4's there too. In my opinion, about as appealing as a Corolla. For mid to upper 20's in demo, about the same size, and cloth, plastic dash, and utterly ordinary. BLAND is he word, and Andre would be hitting strong booze looking at that thing from up above. SO BLAND and DULL.

The C5 will be good with a tidy up, so if you are in the market for one, grab it.

Red is an ok colour on these, but there are nicer colours, and I like silver and even old white.

The brakes were still on the mind during the inspection, but as I said, if you know up front, it isn't as bad. But on my other car, I have just done pads only four corners at 60,000ks. The lot at double. This car needs the lot at half the intervals. Therefore this car will require more maintenance.

They must be great to ride in and have great links to the master, but I think this car is for others that have different driving habits and conditions. And I think with the right owner and conditions, they would be brilliant. Me in the city traffic each day, 100ks a day, might not be the best choice.

Chris Mortimer

Fellow Frogger!

Such is the lot of the modern car driver,My DS21 is still on the original discs and pads(and they will cost about $250 when I need them)and so is my Subru Brum
    by at 165,oook ( ds is 101000m)
    I,ll have to wait and see how the Wife,s Golf goes!!
    Woody

Thread Information