DS grease gun
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: DS grease gun

mnm

Default DS grease gun

Hello all

seeing as the DS has a "few" grease points.. can anyone reommend a brand/ type grease gun for the task? Trigger, cordless, air, etc ... I have a lubricating chart, courtesy of Richo, just need a decent tool for the job.

Thanks

Matthew

Advertisement
    Last edited by mnm; 12th June 2012 at 04:23 PM.

You can buy cheap grease guns if you wish. There are plenty to choose from. My own grease gun of choice is an Australian made Macnaught K29. Pistol grip design, can be used one handed. Flexible hose for getting into tight places. Takes cartridges or can be bulk loaded. If you would like a German made Alemite 660 of much the same design and features that has had little use, I can sell it to you. I have standardised on Macnaught.

You don't need electricity or air to push grease around, just a squeeze of the hand. It's not as though you will be greasing a bulldozer!

Roger

Roger has this one bang to rights. The Mac K29 is just the thing, easy to use and repairable. Mine's about 12 years old and still does the greasy thing!

Brendan

Default grease gun

i will third that about macnaught guns,used to service a lot of earth-movers and trucks
    cheap-skate owners and operators always had crap guns ,so they never greased machines properly
    macnaught works,easy to bleed,easy to use,no contest

Same here, I was fed up with the cheapo greaseguns that need two hands to operate plus a third hand to keep the coupler on the nipple. My Christmas present to myself was a Macnaught gun. It is the best one I've ever used, marvellous! £75 in the UK through Amazon.

I have a ''Rox Handigun" that I bought from Motor Spares in Box Hill 45 years ago and is still working fine. It is just a little messy to fill as the cartridges were smaller than the ones supplied to day and are no longer available. It is a pistol grip lever gun quite similar to the Macnaught and is a small handy size for one handed operation. It easily gets into the drive shaft splines on a TA. I liked it so much I bought two so that I did not have to refill half way through the job. Up till then I had ( and still have) a Tecalamit push pump action gun. It makes a nice bit of period kit for the tool bag but not very useful!
    Cheers Gerry

Agree with Macnaught, Have a K10 pistol grip type a single hander (For 25years) , a K8 inherited from my father which is at least 50 years old it has a mechanical articulated nozzle and lever action,both still are excellent, recently bought a small plunger action ,hold in one hand and push plunger with palm, has a needle nozzle you push the ball in the nipple with and have found that quite good for certain jobs, called an AmPro mini grease gun bought at FJ Tools (a discount store)
    1950 Light 15 - Blanche 'Claude'
    1949 Light 15 - Noir 'Emilie'
    1982 2CV Special - Lagune Bleu 'Daffie'
    2007 C4 HDI EGS - Rouge Lucifer
    1968 Velo Solex 3800 - Noir

1000+ Posts

I must be the odd man in the mix.I bought a McNaught pistol grip gun-probably from Ryan's in- Elizabeth St. in about 1976 to grease my new Mustang Bobcat as it needed greasing twice daily -or every 4 hours.On a long days I greased it 4 times.Also used it to grease my truck, cars etc.

I decided a good brand was smart as it would be a long term investment & I also had a machine which I had to really take care of as repairs/parts horribly expensive.

Anyway I cannot ever using ONCE and enjoyed using it-IF the connector stayed on[rare] the grease would creep out of the nipple & obviously not enter the site.It would continually slip off & if it it stayed on or not it ALWAYS leaked -a totally FILTHY piece of gear.Whenever I tried to use the plunger to bring the grease forward -well I do not want to talk about -totally frustrating.

It has been the least enjoyably piece of equipment that I have ever bought or used in my life.

Guess I like to persevere with things in the hope that they will improve with some tlc or whatever.

So I guess I would highly recommend that if you buy a new one & it does not operate as it should take it back.

Cheers.

Pekay.
    Reckon that Ampro gun is a good idea as I have often wondered why they make one like that.Do S/Cheap stock Ampro.
    Last edited by pekay49; 4th February 2013 at 10:15 AM. Reason: addition

Quote Originally Posted by pekay49 View Post
    I must be the odd man in the mix.I bought a McNaught pistol grip gun-probably from Ryan's in- Elizabeth St. in about 1976 to grease my new Mustang Bobcat as it needed greasing twice daily -or every 4 hours.On a long days I greased it 4 times.Also used it to grease my truck, cars etc.

I decided a good brand was smart as it would be a long term investment & I also had a machine which I had to really take care of as repairs/parts horribly expensive.

Anyway I cannot ever using ONCE and enjoyed using it-IF the connector stayed on[rare] the grease would creep out of the nipple & obviously not enter the site.It would continually slip off & if it it stayed on or not it ALWAYS leaked -a totally FILTHY piece of gear.Whenever I tried to use the plunger to bring the grease forward -well I do not want to talk about -totally frustrating.

It has been the least enjoyably piece of equipment that I have ever bought or used in my life.

Guess I like to persevere with things in the hope that they will improve with some tlc or whatever.

So I guess I would highly recommend that if you buy a new one & it does not operate as it should take it back.

Cheers.

Pekay.
    Reckon that Ampro gun is a good idea as I have often wondered why they make one like that.Do S/Cheap stock Ampro.
    Often if the grease nippple will not stay attached then there is either wear in the collets that grip the nipple, wear on the nipple itself or the alignment of the collets on the nipple is off because the gun is attached crookedly to the nipple. I get this with the 'Rox' and usually all I have to do is straighten the connector so it is in alignment with the nipple ( hard to do on the angled spline shaft nipple on the drive shafts of a TA).
    Failing that I check the cleanliness of the nipple and the collets----it is amazing how a small piece of grit upsets the apple cart.
    Cheers Gerry

On a Macnaught grease nipple coupler (and on other good brands as well) you can screw the coupler housing in or out to adjust the strength of grip on the nipple. Worn nipples need a tighter grip. Some nipples are both worn and only loosely mounted so to avoid wrenching them out I find you have to loosen the coupler grip before you remove it.

Roger

Fellow Frogger!

If you have trouble squeezing a grease gun while lying under the car (like me). I suggest you buy a Millers Falls 12v Cordless Grease Gun.
    Just press the button and out it comes. Comes with spare battery. Was very popular on a Raid when greasing the king pins on a 2CV.
    Herman

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    On a Macnaught grease nipple coupler (and on other good brands as well) you can screw the coupler housing in or out to adjust the strength of grip on the nipple. Worn nipples need a tighter grip. Some nipples are both worn and only loosely mounted so to avoid wrenching them out I find you have to loosen the coupler grip before you remove it.

Roger
    Yep! That makes sense. I would pull the couplers apart to clean them out if the grease had gone hard from infrequent use. The TA only comes out every now and then!
    Cheers Gerry

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    Worn nipples need a tighter grip. Some nipples are both worn and only loosely mounted so to avoid wrenching them.

Roger
    An interesting observation Roger.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thread Information