c4 grand picasso - citroen newby
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default c4 grand picasso - citroen newby

Hi guys,

I'm a newby to the world of Citroen, so great to find this forum.

Looking at purchasing a new 2012 C4 Grand Picasso (with premium leather package) - seems such a logical choice with space and efficiency - hopefully driving one tomorrow to tick the final box.

Any advice on the vehicles, anything to look out for???

Also, does anyone service their Citroens in Geelong, Victoria. We are based in Torquay so Melbourne dealers are too far away for servicing so we'd be looking for a local option that is willing to service the car with Citroen parts and fluids.
    Any experience with this would be great to hear.

Any experience on servicing costs.

Advertisement

cheers
    wes

UFO

Wes,

Welcome to AF, and I hope you find the C4 Picasso to your liking. Picassos have been since day 1 (with the Xsara based model we never had in Aus), "boringly reliable" and do exactly what they are supposed to do.

I think the worst report we ever had on AF was as a result of the owner dropping a metal cased biro into the runner of the driver's seat so that the seat could not move back and forth. Hardly a production fault! It was a task and a half for the dealer to rectify but things like this do happen with any car - and coins/pens/kid's toys have a habit of falling exactly where they should not be.

The only other issue I recall is an external trim piece falling off from one car.

I see lots of Picassos around now so they must be doing the right thing. I even saw one heading south around Kiama bends on the weekend with a trailer loaded for a family trip by the looks of it.

Ensure whomever does your vehicle's servicing uses the correctly graded and specified type of engine oil. There are already enough debates on AF re oil, so I will not go into one now.
    Last edited by UFO; 12th June 2012 at 02:44 PM. Reason: more info
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

THere's a "Citroen guy" here in town that owns a CX wagon. About 6months ago they bought a picasso 2litre diesel egs in sydney and drove it back. I haven't heard a bad thing from them about it. He thinks it rides better than there C4 sedan too.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Tadpole

excellent thx guys - like the sounds of those reports

"boringly reliable" sounds superb!

I'll put my hand up for the pen. 4 kids a dog, surfboards, kayaks, skis, trailer ... It's very versatile and perfect for Jan Juc. The glass roof makes everything feel bigger - even though the car is shorter than a Subaru Liberty. Plenty have commented on the leather seats being a more supportive option than the cloth.

Only issue I can recall are that at night there can be a curious "ghosting" effect with lights from oncoming traffic (not a big deal for me though you may want to check it out in a test drive).

I'd get plugged into a dealer though just in case there are warranty issues. They don't sell the 1.6l I had trouble with in Europe.

Hi Wes,

The Courier Mail has done some interesting reviews on the C4 Grand Picasso recently. They reported it had the most versatility of any of the competitors. They even quoted one family that had just ordered their second one because the lease had run out of their first one and they couldn't find anything better.

Cheers,

Ken W

Tadpole

thx guys - nice one Bonjour, gotta love the consequences of a dropped pen!
    thx Ken W

Anyone had experience with servicing a new Citroen under warranty outside of a Citroen dealer? Any concerns or worries with the tactic?

cheers
    wes

IWS

Regarding servicing in Geelong - this thread recommend a Pug mechanic in Geelong or Ballarat? has some discussion on French car servicing options in Geelong which might help?

And welcome to the world of French cars. I've owned nothing but since 1974!!

Ian.

I thought Ateco had a standard servicing arrangement with someone like Ultratune?

Does anyone else know more details about this?

Cheers,

Ken W

Hi Wes - welcome to AF and welcome to Citroen ownership

The C4 Picasso is a great car and I'm sure you'll love it. In addition to AussieFrogs, I'd also highly recommend you to join C4Owners.org which is a forum devoted entirely to the C4 variants. You can find out just about anything that's worth knowing about your Picasso from that forum.

Cheers,
    Cam
    2005 Jaune Scott VTS 180 (built 28/1/05), K&N Typhoon Induction Kit, Bilstein B14 PSS Coilovers | Build Thread

C4Owners.org Premier Club Member#19249
    Citroen Car Club of NSW Inc Member - 2013/14 Committee Member and Editor of "The Chevrons"
    Australian Racing Drivers' Club Member
    facebook.com/cccnsw

Tadpole

We have had our 2008 Picasso for 2 years and could not be happier with it. The only issue has been the drivers seat bolster on the door side has collapsed and this is a known fault. I am sure this has been resolved in new vehicles.
    We have 3 small kids and it is perfect for us arond the city - the interior flexibility is unmatched and the internal size offered in what remains a medium sized car would embarrass many 4WD/AWD vehicles.

Fellow Frogger!

there is a Citroen dealer in Geelong now - Kings.

They have been in Ballarat and Ararat for some years, now have opened a branch in Geelong.

It is at Waurn Ponds just next to JB HiFi and Bunnings.

It is mainly Great Wall but has some Citroens too.

Fellow Frogger!

I have just done 50,000 klm in my 2010 grand picasso ( I live near Melbourne) which i got with leather/electric trim. It has been a great trouble free car. The only problem to be aware of is having a tow bar fitted. Some dealers will fit a towbar and bypass wiring loom as genuine which they are definitely not. It was only when threatened with legal action that the correct wiring loom was fitted, also be very attentive to what the salesman tell you and then get it in writing because they will tell you things like your Picasso will have sensors in wheels that will indicate low pressure this is a lie as none are brought in with this option, I found out the hard way when tire went flat with no warning.
    I highly recommend the car but the dealers are dubious to say the least, I am currently going to try another dealer to see how they perform, I hope the dealer situation improves when the new importer is announced now ateco have lost it. I'm actually thinking of buying a Lexia unit to run my own diagnostics and finding a independent mechanic who has integrity in his work.
    Anyone who wants a genuine wiring /citroen towbar unit I recommend "Right Connections (Enquiries)" <[email protected]> to give you the Australian distributors details which I have misplaced I believe one is in Melbourne and the other in Queensland.

Add another Picasso owner
    Pickup a white one, with tint, rear sunshades and boot liner, on friday from Gulson's. Funnily enough we only popped in as we needed to measure the boot opening as our Pyrenean mountain dog has trouble jumping into the back of the Rav we are getting out of.

Got it this afternoon. Love it. Photos when I get the thing off my wife!

We just recently picked up our Picasso as well. Haven't had much of a drive yet but what I've been lucky enough to get in has been enjoyable. I really like all the practical stuff it has.
    We ended up with leather & full glass electric roof. Kids love to roof!

We thought about the roof but since it's fixed couldn't see the point, very different matter if it was openable. Leather pack would have also been nice but we couldn't justify the expense, especially with the dog. Currently researching the best option for protection of the top of the rear bumper so the dog won't destroy it when he jumps in, the previous Rav had a couple of gouges from him jumping in, and slipping out which prompted this rather sudden purchase! One thing that slightly annoys me is the small filler neck, I'm used to using hiflow truck diesel bowsers when filling up my work vans so having to use the small ones might catch me out with this! We used to modify the filler necks at Mercedes by pulling the plastic restriction out of the diesels during predelivery, approved Mercedes modification! Do love the shove in the back when you put your foot down.

Quote Originally Posted by irsa76 View Post
    Got it this afternoon. Love it. Photos when I get the thing off my wife!
    Did you run over your wife? Or should you have said what so few people say "from my wife."

Quote Originally Posted by Burgjoh View Post
    Did you run over your wife? Or should you have said what so few people say "from my wife."
    Lol good catch.

My Picasso has tyre pressure sensors because I did not tell the mechanic when he was changing the tyres and he was not impressed as he could have damaged them.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by niks View Post
    ... be very attentive to what the salesman tell you and then get it in writing because they will tell you things like your Picasso will have sensors in wheels that will indicate low pressure this is a lie as none are brought in with this option, I found out the hard way when tire went flat with no warning.
    Hi Niks,

My 2008 Picasso certainly does have tyre pressure sensors because it's warned me about low pressure in them from time to time and tells you which one.

Not sure if the later builds have them though, my 7/12 build is missing a few items earlier builds have such as vents for the 3rd row. That said if it's mentioned in the spec list as fitted, then it should be there, don't have the printed brochure in front of me and I can't pull up the PDF copy at the moment.

Noticed on the Citroen Australia website under special deals there is a limit edition Picasso with glass roof, navigation and opening rear window for $38,990. I'm not happy as that's pretty much my preferred spec, knowing navigation and the rear window aren't available here normally. Now if only they had offered HID lights and the 160 Hdi, I'd even accept the torque convertor auto.

Thread Information