stupide fraternite
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default stupide fraternite

Advertised the C5 Hdi for sale, boy was that a mistake, bombarded with so many stupide questions from the stupide sans le sou fraternite I got the shits and withdrew it from sale. Do these people actually read the damn add?. Learned a lesson there, advertised it too damn cheap.

However it's pleasing to know the Chinaman I ran over will survive, probably, because Kenny has dropped his second gear, my fault entirely, so now I've been forced to open the rusty toolbox an affect repairs.
    Getting parts seems to be a problem, UK is too expensive with high postage, and I've given up on the China Syndrome, the guy there only seems to understand Swahili, and so far the Aussie connections all but hang up when I mention AL4. I'll keep looking.

Serves me right for opening my big gob and saying there's nothing wrong with the AL4 if it's serviced regularly.

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger

Aside from the used option, you could try A&B in Melbourne for advice or a referral.
    Also, I believe this outfit in Sydney has worked on Citroen AL4's, so they may be worth a call about parts.
    http://www.globalautotransmission.com.au/services.html

The Chinese option would exist as China is a huge market for PSA and the AL4 would be used there. There is no reason that Chinese market parts should be inferior to those used elsewhere. However, you would probably want to deal with a local who already has a relationship with a Chinese rebuilder.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks David
    China has most of the parts in genuine PSA or local made and both are cheap. Rebuilt transmission is $1500 + frieght, but getting any sort of answer about payment from the guy is nigh impossible, and I'm not phoning China.
    The gearbox was exchanged under warranty at 60,000 km from A&B, it's now done 40,000 which some may say that's it's life, but inside looks like it's done 200,000 at least and according to the numbers it's been repaired 5 times. It was not a good exchange unit for vehicle manufacturers' warranty.
    Anyway come Tuesday I'll start ringing around, rebuilt box is out of the question, I'm only replacing the E2 clutch. The box worked faultlessly before I burnt out that clutch, so it'll work again.
    Last edited by shanadoo; 11th June 2012 at 07:05 PM. Reason: adding to

Fellow Frogger

Also look at the fit of the bush in the end plate. Supposedly, the 1-2 change quality is markedly affected by a bad fit and/or wear there. There is an aftermarket bush from the US that's meant to help - Sonnax from memory. I assume you are aware that there is a slop measurement in the friction plate pack and that's why the factory supplies a range of thicknesses for the final plate. A further thing is to check that the valve block assembly bolts are not working loose.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Who was looking at Haakons ?? They could be worth chasing up. It sounds like they bent over backwards to try and help him. Have you tried Martin Bray yet he may have a low milage AL4 ready to plug straight in

I've been so keen to avoid this dilemma, I've gone and bought a poogoe for my wife to drive .... Yes for the first time since I was 16years old a car that's not a Citroen is coming into this household

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Also look at the fit of the bush in the end plate. Supposedly, the 1-2 change quality is markedly affected by a bad fit and/or wear there. There is an aftermarket bush from the US that's meant to help - Sonnax from memory. I assume you are aware that there is a slop measurement in the friction plate pack and that's why the factory supplies a range of thicknesses for the final plate. A further thing is to check that the valve block assembly bolts are not working loose.

Couldn't fault the box for the last 30,000 after doing the wiring , even though it was made in 1998 and put in my 2003 car under warranty. A&B hadn't even cleaned the outside case, it looked decidedly S/H.
    Anyway not so much complication here, have a manual, paper type not a Mexican offsider and it appears straightforward.
    My fault I burnt it out, forcing a 1-2 shift after starting off going up a very very steep hill, which should have been locked 1st only, and then prevented a loading down shift by easing up on the go pedal leaving the car hanging in 2nd. What a stupid thing to do. Now pay I must.
    Lucky I didn't damage the converter lock up, and before you ask, yes it has lock up on all four.
    So once more into the breach, and to think I once considered welding my toolbox shut. Ah me--

Thread Information