Oh no.... MICE!!
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Default Oh no.... MICE!!

Hi Guys,

I backed the mighty CX out of the shed this morning and found this

This interior I think is refered to as the "VIP" cloth. From all appearances I thought the damn stuff was indestructable. It simply doesn't ever wear. Bugger it, it can be eaten though by the looks of this.

How the hell did a mouse get into the sealed up locked CX There should be no gaps or holes for it to crawl into. This car was gutted and covered in insulation blocking up every hole from the outside world to the interior (that I can think of ).

It must have got into the car when I've left the windows down at some point over summer.

Does anyone have any ideas on making sure there isn't any mice inside the car ... and keeping the damn thing out. I have no idea how that seat can now be repaired

Yeah, yeah, I know the car needs to be cleaned.... I did clean it before the Tassie Cit-in so the filth isn't too thick

Advertisement

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oh no....  MICE!!-cxseat.jpg   Oh no....  MICE!!-cxseat2.jpg  
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

No, not mouse...

Siberian Hamster!
    (Sorry, couldn't resist...Could entry have occurred through a hole in the firewall if a wiring bung is missing?)

Cheers,

Andrew Matusiewicz
    1999 Xantia SX 16 Valve 5 speed (Jetzt mit Komfortkugeln! )

OH!----- "[email protected]%$&y [email protected]" !
    There I said it for you!
    Now is the time to lay out some Rat Sack!
    Cheers Gerry

As an added precaution, lay out both types of poison.
    Alternately, ask a pest control company if they will sell you any bait stations, then place them in a corner of the car or under cover, like under the seat.
    Remove any close by source of water.

The mice or mouse will take the bait. Not a dignified end for the critter, but replacing those seat covers could prove an even bigger task.

A mouse or rat has the ability to sqush its skeletal structure to enable it to access holes or crevices smaller than its body size.

Currently reading an amazing study on the rodents. Fascinating but almost inescapable creature. Their "relocation" is the only answer.
    Hope this helps.

Fellow Frogger! Inspector Clouseau's Avatar

Living in the country for decades surrounded by macadamia farms, I have much experience with rats and mice. Since the destructive bastards caused havoc in a beautiful old 403 we have put the lights on in the shed every night (they're nocturnal). I see evidence of them but they don't set up house. I also lift all the bonnets and have a dedicated light shining under the bonnet of the DS. If you trawl the net you'll find the only thing that seems to deter them is peppermint oil. Get the 100% pure essential oil at about $22 for 100ml. I've experimented and it doesn't seem to attack metals or plastics. I put some in containers on a cotton ball and place them inside the cars and under the bonnets. The smell (not unpleasant) doesn't linger once the containers are removed. Also, wipe some on the tyres. When it gets cold (as now), especially in colder climes like Ballarat, they're looking for warm housing.

Fellow Frogger!

Mice / rats don't like camphor either, but I'm not sure about antikinus [ spelling ? ] if that is what they are. A native rodent that loves to nest indoors & eat all sorts of stuff including certain plastics, like telephone cable !
    Moths are another potential destroyer of stored cars too, and the camphor is a good deterrent against them.
    They made a mess of some pristine original carport in my Bristol many years ago while it was stored.

Sad to see that very special CX upholstery damaged.

Richard

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post

Does anyone have any ideas on making sure there isn't any mice inside the car ... and keeping the damn thing out. I have no idea how that seat can now be repaired

seeya,
    Shane L.
    I've not used these but you never know...

http://www.overship.com.au/pest_cont...ent_free_trial

That upholstery might respond to a deft hand with a needle and thread, being dark and in a dark car you may achieve an almost invisible mend.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Dťesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Dťesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Dťesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Icon6

G'day,
    what about a nice little python?
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Alexxxxxxx!!!!

dino

ps... Bugggggeeerrrrr

1000+ Posts

Default rats nest

i found a rats nest in the boot of my 405 ,still cant work out how they got in there ,PUGS car was completely closed up no signs of them in the cabin or engine compartment

Fellow Frogger

Perhaps, trim a few scraps from the underside somewhere and carefully let them in with dark thread. Not much else you can do.

The mouse/mice probably sniffed some kind of food spots on the seat and took a liking to it. They often get in via the ventilation system, sometimes getting stuck and making the car stink as they rot. Maybe via the fresh air intake??? Do you have a gauze in the tower? The original sock would have rotted away decades ago.

Said it before and will say it again moth balls with out the moth we have a plague of the buggers at the farm at the moment . Eating every thing horse blankets feed bags oats hay lupins electrical cable Cotton wool furniture rose bushes etc etc even found
    One in the tractor seat now this gained access thru a 10mm by 10 mmm hole slippery little suckers . The cats are so fat that they can hardly move
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

Fellow Frogger!

I put covers on the cars and one of the cats sleeps in the garage with them every night. Have never had any problems with rats, mice nor seen any sight of them in the garage, BUT, we have found the remains of the odd snake (about once a year).
    He doesn't mind being in the garage and actually asks to go in, must have something to do with feed and the electric blanket on a rubber mat with sheet protector on the floor to sleep on - better than sleeping in his run under the verandar where he spends his days.
    FLASH

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

cement dust and icing sugar 3:1 mix

that will stuff em and if your dog finds one of them after they have eaten it and decide to munch down on it there is no poison to hurt the dog

for the last couple of years there has been a bad mouse/rat plague around these parts and having birds in the yard made it worse

having the neighbours cats also jumping the fence even after being asked to keep them locked up was also bad

sticking out cement dust lures worked on the mice, once they died down i just laid out baits to rid the last few and this has seemed to work, also the cats seemed to vanish a couple of months after the baits were deployed

so stick some icing sugar/cement dust mix's around the garage and you should be on a winner
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

1000+ Posts

That sounds like a concrete idea-wonder if the cats disappeared because they 'stiffened up' on the way home?.
    I put a msg on a while ago about John Austins diesel 505 that was eaten in the plague last year.
    Unfortunately the vehicles at the panel beaters who had promised to fix same. so John could not use his trusted method of leaving some diesel in an container with a small opening so that the vapours can escape, inside the vehicle.He uses it in all of his vehicles-particularly tractors & headers which have a lot of downtime.
    Apparently the little critters hate it as much as we hate them-particularly when they wreck the almost ireplaceable .
    of diesel.
    Pekay.

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo View Post
    cement dust and icing sugar 3:1 mix

sticking out cement dust lures worked on the mice, once they died down i just laid out baits to rid the last few and this has seemed to work, also the cats seemed to vanish a couple of months after the baits were deployed

so stick some icing sugar/cement dust mix's around the garage and you should be on a winner
    Brings new meaning to shitting bricks.
    Regards,

Garth.

Fixin' Cit's and got the shits.

'15 DS 5
    '74 GS Convertisseur

In the family
    '51 Traction
    '08 C5 X7 V6

Previous ownership
    '95 XM V6 Series 2
    '96 306 XTDT

An old substation engineer I worked with as a graduate at the HEC once explained to me how they used to stuff electrical conduits with oatmeal and plaster of paris.

Same effect in the end I guess.

Driving - '90 XM, '85 CX IE Auto, 406 Coupe, 405 srdt wagon, '78 dyane, Resting (or Rusting): '73 Birotor '82 CX Presitige, '81 CX Break IE, GS X2, GS1015 Wagon, GS 1300 5sp Wagon, '76 GS 1220 Wagon, '75 GS Wagon, '58 2CV, '58 Vauxhall Velox

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day Shane,

Having tended aviarys for more years than I care to remember I can certainly second the plaster/cement & icing sugar idea, good stuff that icing sugar, 50/50 with ordinary laundry style borax is good [bad] for ants too.

Poisoning mice can be a two edged sword though as the dead critter is full of stuff that's not necessarily nice to dogs/cats/owls..... Also, the little green whoopsies they leave everywhere is full of it as well......

Can be a better deal to use live catch methods when you have lots of them to deal with - and we probably will have lots of them due to all the water that's around this year. Domestic quantities can be dealt with using those cheap [$15?] tin traps with the perspex lids from Bunnings etc, they work well particularly after the first victim has made it nice and smelly. Or, you can get American wind up ones from most of the poultry dealer places, think the last one I got was about $35, might be double that now.

Peanut butter makes a good attractant if you want to use those little plastic sping traps, the ones that don't bite you as you set them, but don't chuck out the traps with the meece like the kid at the factory did.....

Hole pluging of solid materials, like around pipe entries etc, is best done with steel wool. They'll have ago at it but it doesn't do their digestive systems any good at all.

Farmer style disposal unit - empty long neck of your favourite brand with sock at big end, bait in little end, bread & peanut butter is good, arranged such that little end is over a 44 half full of water. Little buggers get onto the bottle via the sock, spot the bait, go for dash but have trouble with the slippery neck of the bottle, splash..... Some people like to butter the neck but I've heard that it's not necessary.

They are devious little buggers, they walk though half-inch heavy gauge weldmesh, they can run up waterpipes and vertical overlaps of gal wall sheeting. But you can fight back

cheers,
    Bob

Oh Shane, believe me, I feel your pain!
    Lift the bonnet of either of my CX's, and you will find rat shit everywhere!
    it is so de-moralising to see where the little buggers have eaten away the wiring harness, and in the case of the blue car, one has died inside, and decomposed into the seat!
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

I'd be checking your house, not your car, especially if you have children, due to health concerns.

Fellow Frogger!

That sucks ass!

The Queenslanders have a good product that pops up on special in Aldi stores on occasion...
    Vehicle Rodent Rid...

Harley

Icon6

G'day,
    that poor little snake would be eaten by the big ferocious mouse.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oh no....  MICE!!-snake.jpg  
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by 560sel View Post
    I'd be checking your house, not your car, especially if you have children, due to health concerns.
    G'day 560sel,
    welcome to the AF comedy show.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug

Quote Originally Posted by 560sel View Post
    They would have to be very clever rats to get into my house, as my cars live on a farm 50km away from my house!
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

Quote Originally Posted by smiffy1071 View Post
    They would have to be very clever rats to get into my house, as my cars live on a farm 50km away from my house!

dino

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information