C5 2010 hdi 6 speed auto
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default C5 2010 hdi 6 speed auto

Monday june 4, the weather was not so good raining all night and all day i had to visit the doctor in Mornington about a 40k round trip i was about 12k from home stoped at the traffic lights took off on the green, the c5 appeared to loose traction the car carried on like a feral pig juddering for a few seconds i think something went bang then the car went on its normal way, since then when the auto changes from first and into second snatches second, not the usual smooth gear change, it has never done this before, in fact the 6 speed gear box is usually very smooth and a delight to drive, now i am concerned is it possible that water on the road found its way into the gear box ? any advice would be appreciated.

Tony

Advertisement

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

broken engine mount ?
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

1000+ Posts

Default Water in the gearbox !

Hi,
    Whatever the problem is, it is very, very unlikely to be the water has 'got into the gearbox'. Cars are designed to drive through driving rain, ford small streams, etc etc and function normally throughout. They actually do it remarkably well. So I would discount that as cause.

More likely to be a broken mount as suggested, or some similar simpler fault. I sometimes think it's a bit of a big ask to call for suggestions on such a lack of information. You cannot beat going to a compentent mechanic for a look if you think there is a problem I appreciate the problem lies in findind one
    Jaahn

The juddering and banging may have been the traction/stability control. It can get quite intrusive. Doesn't explain the rough change, though, on what is a very nice gearbox.
    206 GTi 2003
    VW Golf 118TSI 2009 ( the wife's)
    Bedford CF 1980
    Valiant VJ Ranger 1974
    "Driving a 206GTi makes you feel like you're 18" Jeremy Clarkson

Fellow Frogger

The AL4 can certainly take in water via the breather. The fix is often two or three back to back very hot fluid changes. I don't know whether the AM6 can take in water in the same manner. Perhaps, discount the water issue and just let the dealer work it out within the warranty?

Price the factory oil for the AM6 gearbox and you'll not want to be paying to change it! Don't let anyone outside the dealer network change the gearbox oil without prior approval as it may void the warranty if it's incorrect oil and there is a problem later - have a read of the terms re incorrect fluids etc..

Fellow Frogger!

Took the C5 on the local freeway, it peformed in its usual way, as if it never happened smoth gear changes no drama's, re two front wheels fighting each other, the c5 is due for its 20k service very soon, however not untill i have my fuel lines sorted ( stents may need replacement) and tripple A repair sorted,in my case the body is stuffed but the engine and its ecu is working just fine, if you think old citroens are expensive try $1500.00 for a bit of s/s tube, with no guarantee.
    Tony

Fellow Frogger!

Have no idea what you're talking about with your last post, but as for your original problem I would agree with cme2c, stability and traction control problem. Caused by a sticking front brake perhaps?. Jerks through the gears and makes a hell of a racket and tells the engine ECU to knock back the power.
    Low fuel rail pressure will produce the same effect, but if that's the case, better see the bank manager about a second mortgage before you give the ok for repairs. Get a fault diagnosis done.
    many cheers.

Default I think he is talkin about a Lee Majors o'haul

Quote Originally Posted by scarfjoin View Post
    Took the C5 on the local freeway, it peformed in its usual way, as if it never happened smoth gear changes no drama's, re two front wheels fighting each other, the c5 is due for its 20k service very soon, however not untill i have my fuel lines sorted ( stents may need replacement) and tripple A repair sorted,in my case the body is stuffed but the engine and its ecu is working just fine, if you think old citroens are expensive try $1500.00 for a bit of s/s tube, with no guarantee.
    Tony
    MIGHT WANT TO GET A SOFTWARE UPGRADE WHILE YOUR AT IT
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

Hello Scarfjoin.

I assume when you mentioned "stents" and "ss tube" you were talking about a personal heart problem?

As for the car, surely it is still under waranty?

Allan.

Tony,

If the gearbox is not happy with the world, its ECU will jump into a degraded mode that produces very jerky changes. If it gets really upset, it will lock itself into 3rd gear and make you use the torque converter to take off from rest. If everything is OK over the next few starts and some time has elapsed, it comes back to operating normally. So yours could be operating normally - ie over-reacting to some ESP action during a 1st to 2nd gearchange which upset its confidence in this gearchange so it decided to take the smoothness element (engaging the 2nd solenoid before releasing the 1st solenoid) out of this change for a while by releasing and engaging solenoids at the same time.

We had our gearbox do this when our engine fusebox was misbehaving a few times. It is pretty unnerving when it happens but it has been great for the last 40,000 km.

Cheers,

Ken W

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks tasiC5 & Ken W, The C5 is still under warranty and the C5 is running great gear changes smooth as. yes Ken just found out that one stent has failed, and possibly the tripple A may be failing, going under the knife on Monday for so called state of art replacement, left leg and new stent on the right leg, and I am going to ask for my ss stent be returned after all i paid for it, who know's I may need it one day for the C5. As for the C5 it is due for its 20k service.

Tony

Fellow Frogger!

M. Scarfjoin,
    Good luck with the revisions. My wife recently had an old plate removed after a broken ankle. I wanted the titanium screws back, after all they are worth $103 a piece, and would be useful around the boat, whats more there was a couple of different "pitches' on the screws too, a fine and a coarse mix.

Advertise your old stents on Aussie Frogs as replacements for DS exhaust flexes.

Thread Information