DS Jacking Safety Bar
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger! Inspector Clouseau's Avatar

Default DS Jacking Safety Bar

Is anyone able to provide advice or a design for a jacking safety bar thinggy that can go in the square tubing section? I'm told DSs have a nasty habit of sliding off a garage jack and that a bar and pad inserted in the square tube behind the front wheels will save the front wings - or worse - if the car slides off. Thanks

Advertisement

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Clouseau View Post
    Is anyone able to provide advice or a design for a jacking safety bar thinggy that can go in the square tubing section? I'm told DSs have a nasty habit of sliding off a garage jack and that a bar and pad inserted in the square tube behind the front wheels will save the front wings - or worse - if the car slides off. Thanks
    If you are working on the car the safest option is a pair of car stands, set ride height to the highest position and slip a stand under the square tubing jacking point on both sides.

Never work under the car only supported by a jack

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Further to sage advice above...
    Support is best obtained from the bottom face of the front jacking point rather than something inserted into the square section.

If the jacking point is rotted the potential for failure is slightly decreased.

A stand with screw adjustable height is better than the pin, due to the chance of their being a slight difference in height of the square section of the jacking point for a number of reasons.

Hope this helps.

OK, thanks. When I bought the car I was told that when it is put up on a hoist (didn't say that earlier) a bar in the square tubing would prevent disasters. I guess any tubing that fits, won't fall out easily and is strong enough, might do the job. I take the point about the jack stands.

OK, thanks. When I bought the car I was told that when it is put up on a hoist (didn't say that earlier) a bar in the square tubing would prevent disasters. I guess any tubing that fits, won't fall out easily and is strong enough, might do the job. I take the point about the jack stands.
    When I lift my car I use that jacking point but I put a piece of wood between jack and jacking point. But I am afraid that point might break off because of age. I place stand with wood sheet under the car avoiding soft part of under body.

I am not sure I am doing right though.
    I feel i need to modify the stand and jack plate.
    There is a drawing of jacking thing at end of manual.
    Last edited by caparobertsan; 6th June 2012 at 01:40 PM.

A railroad spike usually fits nicely in the square tubing and gives the jack a nice purchase which will not easily slide off.

Default Railway spikes to you, dogs to me...

Thanks Daffy for the tip on 'Dog spikes', I work at a Railyard and they litter the sidings.
    Before I start taking home the used (I will get permission!) as the sleepers are being changed to concrete over wood with a far better locking method.
    Would there be interest in pre-loved Dog spikes? Re use is the best recycling!

Quote Originally Posted by bluey504 View Post
    Thanks Daffy for the tip on 'Dog spikes', I work at a Railyard and they litter the sidings.
    Before I start taking home the used (I will get permission!) as the sleepers are being changed to concrete over wood with a far better locking method.
    Would there be interest in pre-loved Dog spikes? Re use is the best recycling!
    Yeah, I'd definitely be interested in some, thanks . Did a Google and they look ideal. Let me know how you want to go about it, freight etc.

Yeah, I'd definitely be interested in some, thanks . Did a Google and they look ideal. Let me know how you want to go about it, freight etc.
    Will have to wait until Tuesday when back at work. Shouldn't be too hard to find a few strays about the place. I'll also measure them up so to confirm that they will do the task. Nothing worse than posting a useless lump of iron across the country!

Brendan

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by bluey504 View Post
    Will have to wait until Tuesday when back at work. Shouldn't be too hard to find a few strays about the place. I'll also measure them up so to confirm that they will do the task. Nothing worse than posting a useless lump of iron across the country!

Brendan
    What's the problem ? Half the world is DRIVING useless lumps of iron across the country !

Richard

Default Didn't want to mention makes...

So true Richard, way too many useless lumps of iron travelling around.
    Around my area mainly clapped out Camries and Magna's. The owners have the good sense to realise that they are only just transport and dump them when they die an early death from neglect.
    Brendan

Thread Information