C5 driver's window switch panel
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default C5 driver's window switch panel

Hey froggy folk,

Haven't been around much lately, busy with one thing and another.

The driver's window switches are doing some crazy things of late. Work once minute and then go off song. Seems to work better when it's warm.

Drivers window was fine up until yesterday when it stubbornly went up after numerous auto clicks (wouldn't work on manual setting).

This has been the case for the left front and right rear for a while. Left rear is fine! Auto lock with the key is fine too (except if passenger front is partially down).

I use the windows a bit as the dog is often in the back seat and loves his head out the window. Is it the switches that are failing or something more sinister? It's 2006 manual.

Apart from the tyre pressure sensors getting a little temperamental, she has been very reliable with no issues.

Starting to think it's time to move it on at 92k.

Advertisement

Any thoughts or opinions?

Regards
    Andrew

1000+ Posts

Default Switches !`

Hi,
    Andrew, mine played up a while back and I considered buying a new switch unit. However I did not for some reason. Eventually I got sick of it and pulled it out, opened it up to "have a look".
    It is just like a TV remote control or the like. No switches in the old sense. A flexible diaphram which shorts out contacts on a printed circuit board. So I cleaned it all with metho and buds etc. Worked like a charm afterwards. Still does. Saved a bundle on a new one.
    I did the remote last week as it was poor. However instead of replacing the battery I just cleaned the board and contacts and it works as good as it used to and I have the battery number for the next time.
    jaahn

Fellow Frogger

The switches can be a bit so-so, so cleaning it may help. If it's not the switch, then perhaps the anti-pinch feature is playing up. Does it move up in steps, then stop or even go backwards sometimes? That's more likely due to the anti-pinch system than the switchgear.

I saved myself absurd amounts of money by dismantling gently the switch mechanism and cleaning the contacts with IPA and by removing the anti child crusher PC board and leaving it for a few days to empty its memory.
    The dealer wanted about 700 euros to change both items - they have no incentive to repair or reset them.
    Neither seemed well enough protected against the elements or of a build quality to live for very long in a car door.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks everyone for the responses, Been on holidays so haven't had a chance to respond.

Will have a lash at cleaning it before I get too serious. It does go up in stages depending on the window and the passenger window does the 'go down' instead of up when it is partially open and I use the remote to lock the windows.

Cheers
    Andrew

Thread Information