CX door card survival
  • Register
  • Help

Default CX door card survival

The Red Rocket ('85 CX) came with suprisingly good door cards.

Unfortunately, the effects of shrinkage are starting to become evident - distortion and cracking. Presumeably this is due to loss of plasticiser from the presumably vinyl skin.

Question is, is there anyway to slow or reverse this process?

Cheers,
    Andrew

Advertisement

Driving - '90 XM, '85 CX IE Auto, 406 Coupe, 405 srdt wagon, '78 dyane, Resting (or Rusting): '73 Birotor '82 CX Presitige, '81 CX Break IE, GS X2, GS1015 Wagon, GS 1300 5sp Wagon, '76 GS 1220 Wagon, '75 GS Wagon, '58 2CV, '58 Vauxhall Velox

bump - any ideas?

Driving - '90 XM, '85 CX IE Auto, 406 Coupe, 405 srdt wagon, '78 dyane, Resting (or Rusting): '73 Birotor '82 CX Presitige, '81 CX Break IE, GS X2, GS1015 Wagon, GS 1300 5sp Wagon, '76 GS 1220 Wagon, '75 GS Wagon, '58 2CV, '58 Vauxhall Velox

Fellow Frogger!

Armour all and such are supposed to pep up the plasticisers

'hmmm, that's where I'm getting conflicting information from the web.

Some sites say that hydrocarbon and silicon protector's' will actually leach out the plasticiser over time.

I am hoping there is something out there that actually replenishes the plasticiser, rather than simply protecting it from the sun....

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

If you do find something that works (other than never letting the car see daylight or heat), you'll let the rest of us know right .

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Administrator

This is from about 8 years ago -

Okay, after much googling, I now know more useless shit about Vinyl than any person should.

After researching the construction and degredation of vinyl, I have found a product that is actually approved by many of the vinyl manufacturers in the USA.

Vinyl is apparentky used extensively on shop and window awnings in the US and there is quite a big buisness just in the cleaning and maintenance of these things.

The company that seems to manufacture the best type of product for the preservation of vinyl is a company called WINSOL LABRORITORIES.

The product that interested me is this one
    Winsol vinyl preserver

Some quotes from the product description:
    AWNING ARMOR
    VINYL SEALER AND PROTECTANT WITH UV BLOCKERS AND PLASTICIZERS

Powerful Protection Against the Ravages of Weather, the Sun and Air-Borne Pollution

"WINSOL AWNING ARMOR has the emollients, plasticizers and UV blockers needed to give long lasting life and beauty to your awning and vinyl fabric investments, and to restore the original beauty and luster to vinyl awnings and fabrics."

"AWNING ARMOR actually penetrates the vinyl to displace embedded soils, replace critical plasticizers. Repeated use will increase luster and shine to like new. AWNING ARMOR will help seal the vinyl so air and rain-borne soils cannot bond to the surface. Naturally, subsequent cleaning will be much easier and far faster. "

"AWNING ARMOR is a safe and powerful blend of plasticizers, penetrants, UV blockers and sealers scientifically formulated to give vinyl technicians the ability to restore and enhance the original colors to most all awnings, vinyl furniture including restaurant booths, tents, boat tops, soft sided trucks and much more. Try some today, you will be amazed with the improvement in your customerís vinyl signs, furniture and awnings.

-Improves appearance, restores natural beauty
    -Replaces plasticizer lost through migration
    -Increases the life of awning and sign vinyl
    -Maximize protection against the ravages of sun, rain, birds and air-borne
    pollution
    -Future cleaning is far easier and much more effective
    -APPROVED PROTECTION

"WINSOL AWNING ARMOR Vinyl Sealer is safe and easy to use, cost effective and has been approved by Cooley, Dickson and other major vinyl manufacturers and installers. Using AWNING ARMOR is a critical step in an ongoing routine of vinyl care to help maintain manufacturerís warranties and your customerís investment and image..... "

"WINSOL AWNING ARMOR is safe for sealing, protecting and replasticizing vinyl fabric used for most all applications. Always follow manufacturerís instructions supplied with the product. WINSOL AWNING ARMOR virtually adds usable life to most any vinyl awning, sign or cover."

This to me sounds like a truly purpose built chemial, not some BS shny looking protectant.

It is about $56.85 (US) for a 1 gallon bottle (4.0 Litres approx) and this can be dilted in a 50/50 mix with water.

making 8 litres

seeing as a 250 ml bottle of ArmourAll and the like costs about $5.00 bucks (I think) it's very good value....
    It would appear they still make the product -

http://www.winsol.com/2052.htm

Fellow Frogger!

Seems like it ( Winsol Awning Cleaner) can be purchased through a Queensland cleanng online company for $44 a 3.74 ltre bottle. Haven't tried it yet but may consider it.

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

Default Plasticiser

Quote Originally Posted by andrewj View Post
    The Red Rocket ('85 CX) came with suprisingly good door cards.

Unfortunately, the effects of shrinkage are starting to become evident - distortion and cracking. Presumeably this is due to loss of plasticiser from the presumably vinyl skin.

Question is, is there anyway to slow or reverse this process?

Cheers,
    Andrew
    Most of the plastics of this era use lanolin as plasticiser and I have found that spraying general purpose lanotec on CX door trims sofens them. It is a slow process which is fine for the wrecks I've got up the paddock, but is a bit messy for a daily driver. Also works on Pugs such as 504 dash top which went back to its flexible as new condition after several months all gooey with lanolin. The excess can be washed off with soapy water and some wax applied to seal the surface.

At a recent CCOCA info night at a professional car detailers, a 'well known vinyl and dashboard rejuvenator ending in all' was said to have a reverse effect on longevity.
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

That was my experience with a two year old BMW. Six months of dashboard 'protection' resulted in eleven cracks in the dash. I doubt cooking oil could've done a better job of frying up that dash.

The dealer wanted $800 for a new dash and $800 for labour.

This was over twenty years ago and I have not bought that product again!
    Cheers,
    Michael

Citroen Car Club of NSW - Member

1974 Citroen DS23 non Pallas BW Auto/Carby with Air-conditioning [AC640 Delta Blue]
    1972 Citroen DS21 5SPD EFI Pallas [AC088 Blanc Meije]

2012 Citroen C5 Exclusive 3.0L Auto Diesel [Noir Perla Nera]

Thanks everyone for the insights. I've ordered a gallon of Awning clean on line - $60 inc. postage . Given the number of GS's with vinal interiors I have sitting around, it will get put to good use!

I'll try the lanolin on the worst door card and report back- I am thinking a drycleaning bag over the top for a few months should avoid slimyness.

Cheers,
    Andrew

Administrator

Let us know how it works (or doesn't).

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Trading Estate View Post
    At a recent CCOCA info night at a professional car detailers, a 'well known vinyl and dashboard rejuvenator ending in all' was said to have a reverse effect on longevity.
    I have heard similar hard bitten recounts, re silicones et al.

I'm not an industrial chemist. Some will also insist to avoid petroleum based products while others have related excellent long-term preservative results on automotive plastic trim simply by applying el-cheapo vaseline.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    I have heard similar hard bitten recounts, re silicones et al.

I'm not an industrial chemist. Some will also insist to avoid petroleum based products while others have related excellent long-term preservative results on automotive plastic trim simply by applying el-cheapo vaseline.
    Glycerine? I think Shannon Lush mentioned it for dash vinyl.
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

Its interesting. i have a 2001 Passat with that mat black sort of dash finish. The car has never been garaged. I have always been reluctant to put anything on it for fear of 'shining' it up. I just wipe it once every 3 months with a wet chamois. Still looks as new . I don't know why!!
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

Plasticisers for PVC if I'm correct are often Cobalt or Lead Napthalate type products, pretty nasty chemicals. These leach out with time and form the film on your windscreen after a hot day in the sun. I question if anything that can be applied on the outside will actually somehow find it's way back into the plastic to make it soft again. (I do however believe that leather will absorb certain oils to make it soft) I too have heard some rumours about that product that ends in ...all ruining plastics at an accelerated rate. The real answer is for someone to reproduce said panels and make a small fortune. Not rocket science !

Yes - Suprised it has not been done, as it does not appear technically that difficult. Similar stiching up of CX interior re-trim kits. If we get a Liberal government next election I will most likely be out of a job. Remanufacturer of CX door cars is high on my list of "projects to progress on loss of employment".

Thread Information