2CVs – Can They Be Made Safe?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Fellow Frogger! Inspector Clouseau's Avatar

Default 2CVs – Can They Be Made Safe?

There’s only one thing wrong with a 2CV : If you have an accident, you’re dead! Other than this small drawback I can’t think of any other downsides. I’ve done a lot of miles on country roads in my 2CV without incident (touch wood). However, I’m feeling mortal and my wife wants to sell. If only I could make it safe……. A safety cage, perhaps? Or……? Any ideas?

Advertisement

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

By a motorbike with a big pillion seat ................... That 2cv is going to feel staggeringly safe in comparison
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Swap it for an H van.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

People have died in "safe cars". It is the luck of the draw.

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

Default Safety or possessing occupant protection?

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Clouseau View Post
    There’s only one thing wrong with a 2CV : If you have an accident, you’re dead! Other than this small drawback I can’t think of any other downsides. I’ve done a lot of miles on country roads in my 2CV without incident (touch wood). However, I’m feeling mortal and my wife wants to sell. If only I could make it safe……. A safety cage, perhaps? Or……? Any ideas?
    Occupant protection (secondary safety) is a massive area starting with the work of Volvo on seat belts, Jackie stewart with aircraft harnesses and fire proof suits in racing cars and JP Stapp of Murphy's law fame. Nader was politics, not technology.

The tin snail doesn't have the mass to have good secondary safety. What it does have is that it is conspicuous. I had more near misses in the baby poo brown volvo than I've had in any Pug and especially the D.

Make it safe by advanced defensive driving techniques and keep it polished!

Nicely said, Bruce. I'll put it to the missus

No car is any safer than its driver. Keep skills up and fuel tank full. The steering wheel and the fun pedal take care of the rest.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

2cv pilotes sont immortels - Descartes
    Last edited by gerry freed; 30th May 2012 at 09:02 AM.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

JBN

Get rid of it. If you are starting to focus on accidents, the 2CV is not for you.

The Deuche is for immortals, either real or imagined. It is for those that love life but don't fear death. It is either one or the other, it is never in between. One will never be relegated to the queue of death - those unfortunates that spend their lives in wheelchairs or hospital beds patiently waiting for death (many are probably Volvo drivers that were just half killed).

Deuche and death go together. One wrong move and the question for the emergency team is "Do we separate the meat from the metal, or do we crush the lot to coffin size and warn the pallbearers that this one is a tad heavy?"

In Finland, the 2CV is regarded as quite a safe car statistically, based on numbers killed per numbers of that car registered. This is possibly an aberration because the 2CV is so slow it arrives at the accident scene far too late to participate. Maybe it is because it is so light, it gets pushed out of the way, not standing its ground to be crushed. Kick an empty cardboard box. Now kick a full cardboard box. Observe.

My wife is not worried about the safety aspects of a 2CV. She won't ride in either of mine, but then she won't ride in any car that I am driving. I have two 2CVs and I know she feels that gives her twice the chance of collecting my life insurance. All things come to she who waits.

Travel light, stay nimble, be careful, keep your wits about you, always expect shit to happen. Armour plating yourself or your car will not neccessarily stave off death, it will only remind you that you are mortal and that you fear death. Death will find you when it needs to.

I was always amused by the US soldiers during the Vietnam War with their metal helmets, flack jackets and a packet of Marlboro stuck in their helmet band (giving a nice red and white aiming mark). It didn't help them, just made them weary from carting it around all the time in a hot climate.

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -jbn013.jpg  

Fellow Frogger!

"By a motorbike with a big pillion seat ................... That 2cv is going to feel staggeringly safe in comparison ."

If the 2CV brings you both joy it brings longevity. It is safe being out and about in a 2CV and joining the activities than lying in bed.
    Statistically it is only marginally safer being an in-patient in an Australian Hospital than jumping out of an aeroplane with a parachute! So don't excessively worry about being snotted in your 2CV.
    I totally disagree with Shane about motorcycles feeling more inherently dangerous than a 2CV. Motorcycles are more manouverable, have greater acceleration , can keep up and ahead of traffic, are noisy ( mine are) and a lot of fun... rider skill and blind automobile drivers notwithstanding.

Icon6

G'day,
    buy a motorcycle with a sidecar. A study a few years ago, [20 or 30 ] found that the safest vehicle on the road was an outfit. This was in England, I think.
    Most sidecarists are older, more experienced bikies.
    A similar report by the state medical officer in Victoria stated that 'bikies' , what we now call OMCG's, were actually more careful and less likely to have an accident than run of the mill motorcycle riders. Could be why I have survived so long.
    The same could be said for 2CV drivers.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

JBN

Do you think that removing a wheel from a 2CV (giving it the same number of wheels as a sidecar) would increase its safety? If so, please explain.

John

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    Do you think that removing a wheel from a 2CV (giving it the same number of wheels as a sidecar) would increase its safety? If so, please explain.

John
    G'day,
    if that means staying st home, it would be safer.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by pug206gti View Post
    G'day,
    if that means staying st home, it would be safer.
    Statistically, more people die at home in bed than die in a 2CV.

John

Icon6

John
    G'day,
    so, you would be very safe staying at home in a 2CV...yes
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug

Fellow Frogger!

They are probably safer when travelling in a convoy of 10 or so...similar crumple rates front and rear.

Icon6

G'day,

speaking of which...

Just Saw About 10 2CVs Lismore

regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug

They do race 2CVs (seems like a contradiction ) overseas - UK isn't it? Presumably they have to have roll bars etc to make them safer. I've often thought something like a safety pod in a 2CV with the driver seated in the middle and passenger behind would allow space for some safety to be integrated. Call me crazy - my family think this idea is some kind of lunacy!

Icon6

They do race 2CVs (seems like a contradiction ) overseas - UK isn't it? Presumably they have to have roll bars etc to make them safer. I've often thought something like a safety pod in a 2CV with the driver seated in the middle and passenger behind would allow space for some safety to be integrated. Call me crazy - my family think this idea is some kind of lunacy!
    G'day,
    most probably, they also swim in channels of mud
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug

You could sell the wife instead - you'll feel safer and have more fun

John
    That is because more people sleep in beds than they drive 2CV's?

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

Default Auntie jack woz here.

Quote Originally Posted by pug206gti View Post
    G'day,
    buy a motorcycle with a sidecar. A study a few years ago, [20 or 30 ] found that the safest vehicle on the road was an outfit. This was in England, I think.
    Most sidecarists are older, more experienced bikies.
    A similar report by the state medical officer in Victoria stated that 'bikies' , what we now call OMCG's, were actually more careful and less likely to have an accident than run of the mill motorcycle riders. Could be why I have survived so long.
    The same could be said for 2CV drivers.
    Outfits have a certain presence bikes and small cars don't. Believe it or I'll rip your bloody arms off and beat you around the head with the wet end...

Icon6

G'day,
    yup, they sure do...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -egg.gif  
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug

JBN

2CV Cross is popular in France. Its on a dirt track. They probably have a roll cage of sorts, but the speed attained are not great and the 2CV can sustain falling over without much damage to itself or its driver.

The UK races are more endurance races and are on bitumen tracks.

Either way, a 2CV falling over (fairly rare occurence) or running into a stationary object is not as big a deal as it would appear. The car is light (570kg). The 1/2" steel tube curving from the floor sill, around the perimeter of the doors back down to the floor sill is quite strong for the weight it may have to support.

The danger is being T-boned or caught between vehicles with no room to escape. Its inherent stability at any speed allows for abrupt changes of direction without loss of control, giving it a good ability to avoid accidents. With no automation or distractions, it is a car that demands driver concentration, the lack of which is probably the major cause of road accidents.

Statistically they are a safe car, regardless of how unsafe they look. They are not a racing car, but 20 years and more ago on English country roads and lanes, there are few cars that would stay with an well driven Deuche.

Australians used to long straight boring stretches of road and large engined cars and timid attitudes towards driving fast would not find them appealing. Better being surrounded by a lot of metal, aircon on, cruise control set, thumb-in-bum, mind-in-neutral, listening to the airbag in the passengers seat and praying that the airbag in the steering boss doesn't deploy.

Flat out in a 2CV is far more exciting than the same speed in most other cars. Adrenaline junkies are more easily and more often satiated in a 2CV than anything else.

John

Banned

IMHO, yes a safety cage would make a huge difference to accident survivability. naturally there are complicated rules about fitting cages to registered cars (there was a thread on this about 4 months ago), but whatever can be fitted would help. likewise intrusion bars fitted to the doors.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information