C2 buying
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: C2 buying

owl

Default C2 buying

Daughter Son in law is considering a C2 VTS to replace a commode! Have a 90Km each way trip 3 times a week and fuel cost is killing them.
    Any advice on what to look for and what to avoid appreciated.

Advertisement
    Ian
    504 GL
    505 STi
    505 Gti

Fellow Frogger

Sensodrive or regular manual? The Sensodrive works well, but it would be a mistake to regard it as very much like an automatic. The C2 really has few vices, but brake switches and the indicator/lighting switch unit under the steering wheel (aka Comm unit) are a bit weak. If it's a Sensodrive car, make sure it changes smoothly without shuddering, rather like a regular manual simply driven very well. You an catch it out in slow moving traffic situations where it sometimes struggles to know whether 1st or 2nd is required. You can over-ride it manually, even in auto mode. Some of the later cars were down spec versions to reduce costs.

If there are long commuting trips, then a C3 1.6 HDi or C4 1.6 HDi diesel may also be worth considering. It's important to avoid a 1.6 diesel with an bad service history as it's not very tolerant of missed or stretched oil changes.

owl

Thanks David,
    They are looking at Sensodrive - how is it so different to a reguler auto? Your other comments noted. I will also point them at the C3 &C4 options

Thanks again,
    Ian
    Ian
    504 GL
    505 STi
    505 Gti

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    Thanks David,
    They are looking at Sensodrive - how is it so different to a reguler auto? Your other comments noted. I will also point them at the C3 &C4 options

Thanks again,
    Ian
    Nothing like an auto. There a manual gearbox with soleniods that change gears and operate the clutch for you. There "jerky" in traffic just like a manual box. The ESG in the C4 works brilliantly, except if you try and merge into traffic from standstill in a hurry. It takes time to dis-engage the clutch smoothly and bring the little motor up onto boost. You take this into account without realising when you drive a car with a proper manual gearbox (ie: your riding the clutch ready to move the split second you want to go).

seeya,
    shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

So far (touch wood) my 1.4 auto C3 has been very reliable. Id look at a C3.They are very reasonably priced now.

My 2004 C2 VTR Sensodrive has proved to be a fantastic car. I bought it January 2011 on eBay, it had done about 50000kms. I have done close to 20000km and it has been very reliable (after fixing a problem caused from rats chewing a couple of wires - search earlier posts) and great fun to drive, it has become my daily commute. It is just driven from home to work (5km one way) and around town. While I drove it from Ballina to Coffs a couple of times (e.g. 2012 WRC) and from Ballina to Bathurst, I would not really recommend it as a 90km each way ride. We take the C5 on longer trips and my wife is now driving the C4 from Bathurst to Orange Monday to Thursday. While I love the C2 around town, I would suggest a C4 as a 90km each way commute.

Have a good day,
    Anthony O'Brien
    2008 C5
    2007 C4
    2004 C5 Estate

Previous
    2003 C5
    2004 C2 (now with youngest son)
    2006 C2 (now with eldest son)

owl

Thanks again guys,
    I thought th C2 would be too small for the 90Km commute. Now have them looking at C3 / C4 or 306/7 (where's the "ducks for cover" emoticon!). It most likely will be petrol auto.

What do we need to be looking for / avoiding?
    What advntage (or otherwise (ducking again!)) over the Peugeot equivilent?

Ian
    Ian
    504 GL
    505 STi
    505 Gti

Fellow Frogger

Mechanically, Citroen and Pug share various platforms and drivetrains, so if you compare two models on the same platform, it largely comes down to styling and personal preference, but there are numerous variations available. Citroen probably sells more cars as automatics and in the larger cars (C5, C6) doesn't offer the manual option at all. Pug has outsold Citroen here by what must be a factor of 4 to 1, maybe more, and so there are more cars to choose from and the dealer/service network would be larger. In the C3/C4 ranges, you get essentially the same coil suspension as Pugs of the same size, whereas with C5/C6, you generally get hydraulics instead of the Pug coils. The exception is the new C5 range, where there is a coil spring option. You can get these from about $33K driveway, so that's a benchmark to consider.

Suggest they take a few cars for a drive and see what they like the feel and styling of before looking seriously for one to buy. Personally, I'd be thinking of the diesels or earlier petrols in preference to the later EP6-engined cars. Petrol autos (if you discount Sensodrive as not being a true 'auto') will be coupled with the AL4 auto gearbox, which can be a love-hate situation - search the forum re AL4. The C3/C4 HDi's are either a manual or in the C4, a 6 speed EGS. If they can live with a manual, it's probably the best value choice. C4 1.6 petrol manuals are apparently relatively unloved and a bit down-spec, so may be a bargain buy, depending on what's sought.

Why not try a 2003 to 2007 C5 for this commute? They eat the km's and give you a relaxed drive. You can expect 6.7 to 7.0 litre/ km for the trip if country driving. Lovely car, if it has a good service history. You do not have to chose a small car to get economy these days.Al.

Buy a diesel Renault. You'll never look back...

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Tadpole

You know at 540km a week (28oookm a year) and without too much stop/start on the trip, you would only have to fill up every 2 1/2 to 3 weeks in a C4 1.6 diesel, around $80 per fill, $2100 per year (diesel at $1.5) for the 28000km, only need 2 service per year as to 3 per year on the C2, don't get me wrong I'm a fan of the C2, looking at one for daughter, but for the travelling your people will be doing.....C4 1.6 diesel

Cheers

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flightdeck View Post
    You know at 540km a week (28oookm a year) and without too much stop/start on the trip, you would only have to fill up every 2 1/2 to 3 weeks in a C4 1.6 diesel, around $80 per fill, $2100 per year (diesel at $1.5) for the 28000km, only need 2 service per year as to 3 per year on the C2, don't get me wrong I'm a fan of the C2, looking at one for daughter, but for the travelling your people will be doing.....C4 1.6 diesel

Cheers
    For that sort of travelling, I wouldn't even consider one of the cars with bumpy, thumpy poogoe suspension, I'd be looking at a C5 diesel. One with the 6spd box.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Maybe an early 2000 model Renault Clio possibly....?

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    For that sort of travelling, I wouldn't even consider one of the cars with bumpy, thumpy poogoe suspension, I'd be looking at a C5 diesel. One with the 6spd box.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Depends on the road. Could be mainly billiard table smooth??

Anyway, if they are running a Commodore, size is presumably not a problem and the desire to buy a small car will be driven by the belief that a small car = low fuel consumption. The larger cars don't hold their value as well as the small ones it seems, so you can get relatively good value and excellent fuel economy with a car like a 6 speed C5 or 407.

The larger cars will be better equipped and the HID headlights of the better equipped versions of the C4 and C5 and equivalent Pugs could be quite desirable for a 90km commuting trip. Also note that some of the lower end models may not have ESP / stability control if that's a must have feature.

Thread Information