How to ship/post seats from the UK?
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default How to ship/post seats from the UK?

Hi,
    I am about to travel OS, yes I know, lucky me, and will stop off in the UK to check out some leather seats for my 1964 Jag. The question is, if they are any good, how do I get them home?

Advertisement

If I get them across to the Netherlands, I can post up to 20 kg at a time (used to be for 50 euros a throw), but there are size restrictions that may not suit the back seats. Weight wise, there would be 4 parcels.

If I ship them, i gather I can package them all together and then pay per cubic foot, however it is a bit more expensive then the Dutch post at about 6 pounds/ft 3.

Has anyone done this recently and can recommend a shipping company to Adelaide? Or is there another way that I have missed.

Erik

Fellow Frogger

Can you remove the covers and dump the cushions? They all have steel frames, springs, wood panels and Dunlopillo Latex foam, which you would already have here. The latex foam lasts very well, but sunlight will cause it to degrade, usually when the leather is dry and torn. Have a look at your seats and you will see how easy it should be to strip the covers and then refit them. However, given the age, you would have to be careful as it would be easy to damage aged stitching and the leather may even be stiffer than you think.

Default How to ship seats from the UK

Bottoms up!
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Fellow Frogger!

No I can't remove the leather outers/covers. Theyare fairly well integrated into the wire work. I guess I could cut the wire and fold the rears, but I would worry about the leather cracking on the join. Worth looking at though, so thanks for the input.

And yes, bottoms up is always good advice (although I had to think about it for a bit).

Erik

I bought a set of Laguna leather seats from ebay UK, after convincing (paying) the seller the strip off the covers and dump the frames/foam.

Fitted them to frames here (zip ties make assembly easy )

If the leather is good, it wont terribly mind being folded up, but mine were packed in a big box that was about the size of a seat back - all the parts were stacked up unfolded in the box about a metre square and 30cm thick.

Only economic way I think - otherwise it would probably be cheaper having them made here!

I once also shipped some complete bucket seats within Australia - they become a big parcel once you wrap in cardboard and clingwrap!!

Icon6

Book yourself a couple of places on Ryanair.

Tell the steward/ess that you've paid for super-dooper economy, and you've brought your own seats, as requested.

Mike.
    Started out with nothing, still got most of it left.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Anyone sending back a container?

Actually, I have had a look at them and while I can't take the leather off the front seats, I think I can from the back ones. This will get me over the size limit of Dutch parcels and may be a workable solution.

Unless one of you is sending a container back from Europe soon??

Erik

I managed to find someone that does regular containers from the uk (rover parts) to get a complete interior for the SM to WA you maybe able to find someone in SA that is doing this still not cheap but achievable good luck what model jag?
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

Fellow Frogger!

I know it is a Citroen thread, but it is a Mk10 Jag, 1964, the big ugly one with the vertical front that looks like someone accidentally left the handbrake off and drove it into a wall. Nice though and the picnic tables are really cute.

Fellow Frogger!

I had a think about containers and thought, an international removal company should have them coming over... got a quote of $1500 for a 59 kg parcel that is 170cm by 70cm by 75cm.

Might as well ship the whole car over for that...

Erik

PS. Went to an upholsterer to find out the cost of doing them here. He said about $4k for leather. He also gave me the useful advice that, if the foam in my current seats has gone rotten (which it has), then taking covers off another Jag and putting them onto a new set of foam will never look very good, as it is impossible to get them to fit properly.

Default excess baggage

Years ago, when sending excess baggage from England (motorbike crates of good stuff, hi fi speakers, motorbikes!, tools etc) we looked in the classified ads in the back of ...now what was the name of the Aussie expat newspaper in London?? Handed out free around Earls Court. In the 70's. Maybe Time Out magazine? Just searched...TNT was the paper, apears to be still going! There were various freight forwarders there who collected baggage till they filled a container.
    Frank

Thread Information