Replacing AL4 ECU
  • Register
  • Help

Default Replacing AL4 ECU

Having seen my ECU see a solenoid short to positive that doesnt exist and then ask for 22BAR of line pressure, I fairly confident its stupid and has a poor grasp on reality.

Advertisement

So am trying to replace it.

I was of the understanding they're plug and play - its only the engine ecu/BSi that are coded to each other - anyone know different?

Also, ASV said they had my ECU (S118047502C) but sent me another one - which booted straight into limp and locked out the immobiliser Now they say my number is a new universal part thats not original to my car and anything they supply needs to be coded. Not sure whats going on here...

Also tried a Renault Scenic ecu i found at pinchapart for $25 - it booted into limp and I couldnt even communicate with it via Lexia.

Cant see anything in lexia about coding beyond the standard parameters resetting thing.

Any clues? Really dont want to go back to the dealer...

The holy grail is of course the whole software on a CD that can be reloaded onto a wiped ECU offline...

Fellow Frogger

It's not like the BSI and engine ECU. The AL4 ECU is not VIN-coded and you can swap them between cars, but you need to get one coded for the same model, even a later version of the ECU. If you get one from another make or model, then it may not even be able to communicate over the type of network in your car. The reference number starting with 96 is probably the best way to identify the ECU you have.

That being the software version - agreed.

Thanks for confirming what I thought about it being coded. Try again..,

Fellow Frogger

The reference number that starts with 96 tells you what the part is, not the software version. Taht reference number is not the same as the Citroen part number, but it would help you compare two ECU's. A dozen ECU's with the same reference number could all have different software versions. If it came from a working car like yours, then the software version shouldn't make any real difference, even if it's an old version. It should still work, but the later software may be better. Or it could make no difference to the gearbox operation because the later version was only changed to complement an engine software change. There would be other markings to tell you when it was made and also a serial number etc..

Thread Information