CX??? Worth the risk?
  • Register
  • Help

Default CX??? Worth the risk?

Well guys, the time is here for need of a car to get around in for a short time.

Came across a couple of possible canditates on ebay and gumtree.....

standouts are......
    A Xantia
    http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/yagoo...ale/1002239946

A CX 5sp

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/east-...box/1001680913

I like the look of the CX, but the price is extremly low for one of them.
    Obviously, a decent windfall if the car is a good one for that sort of coin.
    I just need something for the interim that I could keep and restore later or sell on when finished.
    Yeah I know, just get a [email protected], but who'd be happy with that, not me.
    Like the idea of a CX, my uncle had several when I was in my early/late teens and I loved their cruising ability. DOing a bit of driving between Brissy and Bundy lately so it'd be good for that too.

Any opinions grately recieved.

HKP.

Yeah, the Scenic has issues currently, likely clutch...just the cost is exorbidant and I can't scrape up that money and am sick of trains/buses

Advertisement
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

the CX would be a bit of fun. Do you like being warm

It's always going to be cheaper to fix what you have though. Scenic clutches look pretty cheap to me

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...All-Categories

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post

It's always going to be cheaper to fix what you have though. Scenic clutches look pretty cheap to me

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Yeah, parts prices are low as for the UK import ones.
    I have absolutly no where I can fix a car these days Shane.
    I've been solo HKP since last January mate....won't go into detail publically, although I would love too

Renault wanted $2500 inc clutch at their price of $800, they dreaming

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post

seeya,
    Shane L.
    I agree with Shane. The Xantia could be excellent for $2000 but it has done 262,000 km and may well be on its original clutch............. You'd be buying the last 20% of its life really.

I'd fix the Scenic personally. Keep the troubles you know rather than buying someone else's.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thanks John.
    Problem is, I am still out of pocket from last years dealings and that'd almost fix the car......GRRR

I've had the Rx4 since about 85,000km so know it well.
    Mine never missed a beat in all that time, worst thing so far is dead a/c comp. Easy fix, jdAir in Sydney, new a/c comp, $425 delivered.
    It just goes everytime I turn the key.
    Damm it guys, almost convinced myself to buy the Pallas.
    If it's still for sale after I fix the Scenic, might consider it.

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

I'm pretty cynical of the 28000km odo. I wonder how many times it's been around the clock. I'm guessing at least 328000km +, unless in can be proved otherwise.

If you want a CX now is the time to get one. Personally I would look for an auto, suits the character of the CX so well and the ZF box is bullet proof.

A very nice one here by the look of it if it is still for sale

1984 CX25IE Pallas for sale - Canberra
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

CX's have 99,999kms odometers, so the reading isn't relevant. A CX being a 30year old car isn't something you'd buy if you have nowhere to work on a car and want something cheap to run.... It's not there unreliable (there not, don't ask my wife though ). It's simply because there 30years old so minor age related stuff will need to be fixed over time.... there is always something small and niggly to be fixed.

Your better of buying the best possible car you can find. There worth so little it's the best way to go. Eg: that car Greg has listed above would have to be one of the nicest looking CX's advertised in years.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

As always, buy the best you can afford. That one listed looks very nice, I must admit I was sorely tempted when it went up for sale but the rules at home explicitly state I am allowed one and only one CX.

As for the mileage it has covered the seller thinks maybe 134k, or 234k. Judging by the condition of the drivers seat I'd say it would be 134k, another reason to put it on your short list
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

However, don't drive a CX unless you want to own one forever ............... You'll never buy mine..... If you offered me $20,000 for it.... I'd probably think about it, search the cars I could buy for $20,000..... And think rapidly decide there is not a single car I'd replace the CX for given that sort of money. Now if you offered me $40,000 I'd probably accept it................. Only to advertise world wide "Wanted, CX2500 GTi Turbo Prestige RHD" ........................ And import the best one I could find in the world for less than $40,000

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Andy N lives up Lismore way..................perhaps it might be worth your while to ask if he knows the car??

I spoke to Andy about the CX in Lismore. He did not want to go to see it because he might be too tempted to buy it. But I'm sure he would not mind to go and have a look if asked.

Get a CX and you will never be the sam(n)e again.
    C5 Touring 2008, CX 2400ie Prestige '81 (with dead gerbox), CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic '80, CX2400 Super Familiale C-Matic '79 (to be scrapped very soon) , CX2400i Familiale 5-spd (to be scrapped), GS 1220 Wagon '78 (next project), ID19 '64
    CX Register

HKP,

If you buy a NSW car, you will be up for getting it roadworthy to QLD standards so you can transfer the rego. That at least usually means some new brake discs etc plus some oil leaks to fix.

Cheers,

Ken W

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
    HKP,

If you buy a NSW car, you will be up for getting it roadworthy to QLD standards so you can transfer the rego. That at least usually means some new brake discs etc plus some oil leaks to fix.

Cheers,

Ken W
    Thanx Ken.

No idea what I am going to do.....the Scenic needs new clutch and I am not in position to pay the labour costs at the moment to have it done and haven't anyone close who has a garage I can borrow.
    Renault's cost is OTT as usual, even the clutch is $800 for just parts.

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

HKP,

Why don't you put up a plea for some short term garage space nearby on AF in the general forum. I could help but I am on the northside of Brisvegas a long way from you I think.

Do you need a loan car also?

Hope you can get it sorted.

Cheers,

Ken W

Hey Ken.

A garage with hoist is the go as the box needs to be seperated from the engine. Usually on the Rx4 done by dropping the front subframe from the car. Other alternative is engine/box out as a whole and split it after that.
    Not sure what is easier as the only people to ask really are Renault service and they don't give up too much easily or the non-dealer service guys in Bris and it's impossible at one to get past the front office usually
    If I had my Dialogy programme from the old home comp I would know so much more as there was some Rx4 details buried if you knew where to look on it.(ex never came good with requests for stuff off the comp) But won't make it all public LOL..

I think a friend of mine who moved close to Stanthorpe has a hoist but I am not sure.

I'll keep updates coming as things happen.
    I was all geared up to start work on the R10 again this winter, not going to happen just yet now.

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

HK Puggy, if you'd like to try out a CX 5 speed out for size, I'm happy for you to see if it's your thing as it's certainly not everyone's cup of tea.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Quote Originally Posted by donat View Post
    HK Puggy, if you'd like to try out a CX 5 speed out for size, I'm happy for you to see if it's your thing as it's certainly not everyone's cup of tea.
    Thanks Donat, have never been in or driveen a 5sp.
    My uncle in Galdstone had a few in the late 70's early 80's. Manuals if I recall, absolute glory to ride in.

I'm taken with the 5sp one, but not sure if it's a decent buy. Would be my transport until the Scenic is up and running again.
    It'd be a daily driver type of car, bit silly I know but I am not doing much driving at the moment and will hopefully be moving out of Ipswich very soon and the daily drive will be about 20minutes of 100km/h running so the car will be a blessing.
    I'd rather have something that if I can't sell it when the Scenic is back up and running it can be played with and taken on as a project.
    Yeah, I know, the disease has finally gotten to me, I still have the R10S replica on the go, or the stall...haha

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

Current price for your clutch here is 152 euros at Oscaro.com. Dealer price for replacement around 2000 euros inclusive. It`s a couple of days` work.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Thanks Gerry.
    Yeah, about the same here for labour. Am considering importing the kit myself, will save me a heap I think.

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

Thread Information