BX 16V squeaky plastics
  • Register
  • Help

Default BX 16V squeaky plastics

I'm enjoying having the Valver back on the road although the squeaky plastics are starting to drive me crazy. I've narrowed it down to the steering wheel rubbing against the instrument binnacle. Is there some some product or even say Teflon tape that I can put in between to get rid of the noise? Or is there a quick easyfix to increase the clearance between the two that doesn't result in more cracked/broken plastics.

Did these things have squeaky plastics from new? I really want to keep this car but reliability is not a given compared to my similar age daily driver Honda Prelude. Still enjoying ringing the neck out of the XU9J4 donk.

Advertisement

Silicone spray or the plastics spray from Rare Spares.
    I've not seen anything work as well.
    Hope this helps.

First thing to check would be the flexible coupler to the rack. The next thing is the subframe!

How do I know. The BX TRI used to have drove me crazy with the wheel rubbing on the housing. Flexible coupler replaced but no difference. I was having a good look around underneath to see if anything was wrong as everything upstairs was shipshape, and spotted this very long and scary crack, the steering rack was bolted on one side of the crack, everything else on the other side. Apparently a fault that is not unknown on BXs
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

In the interim try giving the wheel a sharp pull towards you

My car does exactly the same. Turn up the stereo instead!
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

I drive a Peugeot 205 GTI, is there such a thing as plastics that don't rattle or squeak ?

Quote Originally Posted by smiffy1071 View Post
    My car does exactly the same. Turn up the stereo instead!
    Yeah the original Eurovox stereo that doesnt work. I suppose I can enjoy ringing its neck and listen to the exhaust note.

Knowing everyone elses Pug 205 and BXs are just as squeaky make me feel better . At least Im not alone.

Never heard of Eurovox??? Original fitment in the UK was either Blaupunkt, or Phillips. I think in your part of the world, it was Alpine.
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

Quote Originally Posted by b707 View Post
    I'm enjoying having the Valver back on the road although the squeaky plastics are starting to drive me crazy. I've narrowed it down to the steering wheel rubbing against the instrument binnacle. Is there some some product or even say Teflon tape that I can put in between to get rid of the noise? Or is there a quick easyfix to increase the clearance between the two that doesn't result in more cracked/broken plastics.

Did these things have squeaky plastics from new? I really want to keep this car but reliability is not a given compared to my similar age daily driver Honda Prelude. Still enjoying ringing the neck out of the XU9J4 donk.
    I glued thin felt on the back of the steering wheel to at least make it rub smoothly. You can sometimes move the steering column up a little bit on the splines behind the universal joint. We've just put on a new (second hand) column assembly as the bottom bearing died, and the problem remained.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information