C5 squeely brakes
  • Register
  • Help

Default C5 squeely brakes

At low speed, gentle braking, squeels ...
    checked disks: smooth, pads: plenty of depth
    Mainly left rear
    so everytime you pull up at lights, noise
    everytime you park at home, noise

I remember many years ago father had similar problem and dealer stuffed about but noise stayed.

How do I kill the noise?

Advertisement
    ------------------
    Michael T
    2013 DS4
    1977 CX 2400 Pallas
    1974 GS 1220 Sedan
    1958 ID19 (Slough)

Fellow Frogger

Not that unusual for an older C5. Firstly, hose the brake dust off regularly, but the root of the noise is most likely glazed pads and discs. If you are into DIY, roughen the disc and pad faces with a sander and consider cutting a vertical slot in the pads. There should be steel shim plates behind the pads, which are intended to reduce squeal. Removing the caliper is not a easy DIY job as the bolts were secured with Loctite, so try to avoid that job.

Michael and David,

I have been fighting this sort of squeel in Citroen rear brakes since I bought a GS in the 70s. I ended up having to put two shims on each side to stop my GS from squeeling at one stage.

I now have a Xantia Activa which has the problem quite badly. Taking the pads out and giving them a sand and then re-coating the back of the pad lasted one week even though it already has the shims fitted. A mechanic suggested reversing the pad springs, but I think that has just made it worse.

So David I would be interested if you think your suggestions above would help in my case before I go the whole hog and replace both discs and pads.

Regards,

Ken W

UFO

My XM had squealing brakes for a while. I got some of that PBR (?) orange goo stuff and followed the instructions to put some on the back plate of the pads and the problem went away.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger

It doesn't seem to be a problem restricted to Citroen, but some models seem to be worse than others. Ken, if you sanded the pads, did you break the glazed surface on the disc too? I would have thought the problem would return quickly if you didn't. Luckily, I've just never had much of a problem with brake squeal in any car I've owned, including XM, the Xantia before it and the CX before that. Maybe, just a lucky combination of driving style and the road conditions I encounter??? I don't know. On both the XM and Xantia, a smear of red sealant on the back of the front pads might have helped a little.

I guess we'd be remiss if we didn't make some kind of Asbestos warning here if people start sanding old pads. There are still NOS pads for some of the older models being sold with asbestos and it's just not safe to assume it no longer exists.

Thanks for the PBR Goo advice, I now remember finding what looked like red silicon sealant on the back of my Range Rover pads once after complaining of noisy and squeeky brakes. I'll try that.
    Regarding glazing etc, the car has travelled only 26,000ks and is still on original pads and discs, so that could be an issue, but for now I'll try the goop and let you know.
    ------------------
    Michael T
    2013 DS4
    1977 CX 2400 Pallas
    1974 GS 1220 Sedan
    1958 ID19 (Slough)

Fellow Frogger!

A couple of weeks ago I took off the front pads on my
    v6 xantia and filed the back of the pads smooth
    I also filed the pistons flat
    This has helped a lot but not a complete cure
    I will be applying "goo" shortly
    The squeal is the pad on the piston usually, not the pad on disc (woops! rotor)

If the squeel os between the piston and pad, maybe ordinary automotive silastic/silicon would do the job, rather than whatever is in the PBR tube (probably automotive silicon!)

Brake Anti-Squeal

PBR anti-squeal adhesive is specially formulated to absorb noise and vibrations which stem from the brake pads. This product is water resistant, easy to apply and suitable for all popular disc brake caliper applications.
    ------------------
    Michael T
    2013 DS4
    1977 CX 2400 Pallas
    1974 GS 1220 Sedan
    1958 ID19 (Slough)

Tadpole

I've been advised to copper-slip the backs of the discs and where the anti-vibration clips are seated. I did this when I did my brakes and no problems at all. I noticed when I changed the pads that they had been glued on at some point in the past. Possibly in the factory as these where the original pads.

This obviously isn't your car but gives an idea of the anatomy if you haven't pulled the brakes apart before. Maybe worth suggesting the next time you have the car in for a service that they look at the clips and the back of the pads and copper-slip them.

http://c2club.co.uk/showthread.php?3...(1.1-1.4)-Pics

Dave

Icon10 Xantia rear brakes fixed!

Hi Froggers,

When I was at DS Motors recently, I told John all that I had done above and asked if he had any ideas. He said he had had some success with rotating the pad holding spring so it holds the other side of the pads. So I tried that. Initially, they squealed just the same but sure enough over the succeeding weeks, the squeal reduced to the stage where it just doesn't seem to happen anymore. I am ecstatic!

So with regassed rear spheres fitted and new front engine mount, it should now be a classy ride. I must do that engine mount tomorrow!

Cheers,

Ken W

Fellow Frogger!

I have just replaced the rear pads on the V6 Xantia and now no squeak
    Made sure the back of the pads were dead flat with a file as they seemed to have a large amount of paint on them

After some silly bugger experiments with brake pads, brake discs and a screwdriver, I reckon the squeal is a harmonic of the disc's resonant frequency.

The disc is induced to resonate like this, by the pads chattering minutely against it with regular frequency. There may be sympathetic resonance in some cases, by pieces such as splash shields. Stuff like the orange silicone, stops the chattering developing at such regular frequencies as are required for a sustained "squeal".

No particular remedy from me, other than to note many calipers are sticky on their sliders after a few years - it's infrequent they are removed and meticulously cleaned; judging by other threads' posts thorough cleaning (which allows further inspection of condition, and remedies thereto) is something many eschew. I've also found wrong greases in slider bores; copperslip where there should be PTFE paste seems a common one.

Any liability stops here.
    Constant customer complaint of brake squealing. All ideas very time consuming with little result.
    While unobserved I would put a dob* or two of koprkote on the disc face via a screwdriver through the wheel spokes.
    A drive around the block with brakes held on lightly, no more noise. Customer happy for a while.

* Amount no larger than a match head.

Another method for my own purposes.
    Remove lead/graphite from a pencil. Remove brake pads, drill pencil lead size holes [2] in pad material. Insert lead flush in holes.
    The pencil lead will wear down with the pad keeping things quiet.

Among the cries of shock, horror at the thought of foreign material on your pad faces. Consider the crap they have to endure daily.

Thread Information