I just bought a...
  • Register
  • Help

Default I just bought a...

Yep you guessed it, ...a Citroen.

It is a red 1991 AX GT Injection. Done 162000 kms. Everything seems really good except for, as you already know, the plastics.

Right now it is unregistered, needs the electrics checked out, and needs a few bits and pieces (like a boot catch) but I think it will go over the pits pretty easily.

I want to put this thread up to ask for advice as I fix it up. So here's the first question - is there any general advice I should know about these cars?

I will post some pics a bit later.

Also, this is my first car. I told a friend of mine I bought a Citroen and he thought I was crazy. He even tried to convince me that I would be better off with a Hol**n.

Regards,
    Mick (Just hijacking my dad's account)

Advertisement
    Current: 406 Coupe, 504 Sedan

Previous: 306XSi, 205GTi, 206Gti, 505 V6, 505 Wagon, 504 Sedan, 504 Wagon, 306Gti6, 306XT, 205Si, Citroen XM, Citroen Xantia

Congratulations Mick! Sounds like a great project, hope you get her back on the road soon. How about some before and after photos?

Don't worry about your mates, there is nothing wrong with being an individual.
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

All I can say is that my mate has definitely never driven a french car.

Here are some photos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I just bought a...-dscf5332.jpg   I just bought a...-dscf5334.jpg   I just bought a...-dscf5323.jpg   I just bought a...-dscf5327.jpg   I just bought a...-dscf5328.jpg  

Previous: 306XSi, 205GTi, 206Gti, 505 V6, 505 Wagon, 504 Sedan, 504 Wagon, 306Gti6, 306XT, 205Si, Citroen XM, Citroen Xantia

Does anyone know if one needs an engineering certificate and permit etc. for licensing to make and install a completely custom dash?

How do I remove the dash please? Do you remove the binnacle cover piece first? Mine seems to be glued on.

Thanks in anticipation.

Quote Originally Posted by aquinian View Post
    How do I remove the dash please? Do you remove the binnacle cover piece first? Mine seems to be glued on.

Thanks in anticipation.
    sorry not much help, but why do you want to remove the dash? its part of its late 80's charm black with red is a hoot.
    replacement dash tops must be around somewhere? re-coated in material that wont be so UV attected?
    Looks like someone as already tried to remove it and shattered it in the process...
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

I have gotten most of the dash out.

The reason for replacement is that the existing one is so wrecked (it isn't only the top... now anyway) that it would take a lot of work to fix it and it would look like it had been fixed when I'm finished.

I've applied for a modification permit. I'll post up the reply when it comes.

Bit of armourall 'll fix it !

Seriously would look for a wrecker for new dash. Somebody will have one.
    or hit with expanding foam and bumper coat !
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

Try Martin Bray in South Australia - see spare parts in the sticky area.

Cheers,

Ken W

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I'd suggest the only way he'll get a dash for a PSA vehicle made in the 80's is the UK. The bad new is the replacement will disintegrate the first time the sun comes out

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Tadpole

It is virtually impossible to find an uncracked dash board here in Australia...I know, I have been looking for one for years...

I have tried to get one posted out from Englaand through the AX OWNERS CLUB, but that hasn't happened either. I have found a couple of members there willing to sell me the dash but either unable or unwilling to send it even though I would happily pay all costs including insurance.

I guess that I am lucky that my second AX has an excellent dash board which is still in one piece and only a very few little cracks. The one in my first car is rubbish and that is the one I would love to replace.

I myself prefer originality especially with a car that is relatively rare in Australia, but each to their own. Best of luck with your dash!

Try Malaysia. It was made there as the Proton Tiara
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post
    Try Malaysia. It was made there as the Proton Tiara
    I'm not one-hundred percent certain, but I don't think Malaysia produced any Mk1 GT dash boards. I believe they only made the Mk2 (later more rounded version) dash boards. But I guess if you are not a stickler for originality then fitting a Mk2 dash may be worth looking into.

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. I am now trying to "fix" the old one. I hadn't even thought about originality.

I'll see how it goes - it is mainly a labour question.

Regards,
    Mick

I am now back on the Citroen. I have a Haynes manual on the way too.

Has anyone here pulled a dash out of one of these? (I don't mean the usual one-piece-at-a-time method. )
    Can one pull it out in one piece without having to disconnect the air-con? My idea is to fibreglass it together enough to hold it in one piece and then to pull it out and finish it out of the car.

Another problem is that the thermo fan doesn't come on. Any suggestions as to where I should start please?

Also, if anyone wants to know, the reply I got for the modification wanted an engineers signature etc. It also wanted the modification to comply with VSB 14.

Regards,
    Michael

Hiya didnt realise you bought this, I nearly bought it a couple of years ago we coudlnt get it going and nearly started a fire int he engine bay!!

I am presuming its the one from the antiques shop guy....

If so that's a big project lol

Good luck though

Hi Gezza,

Good to see you on this thread. I am not sure where this one originated from, I bought it off a guy in Cottesloe who had only had it for a few months. He let the rego run out I think.

Was the guy who owned the antique shop called Dean?

I doubt it's the one you saw because it runs beautifully (well it's a teeny bit rough actually- I'm guessing spark plugs), it's only done 160000 km and it really looks like it has only done that. (Other than the dash )

Also, this has had a bump on the back end, if that helps with identification.

Regards,
    Mick

PS, Can you have a look at the other thread called "where's that Citroen" for me please?

Cant remember his name but loads of parts had been stolen off it, I was gonna buy it as donor car for my old white ax gt!!

Too many bits had been taken though he had it for years and couldnt be bothered with it at all that too had 160k on it though or there abouts..

Just looked again at the pictures and I think it was deffo it!!

He must of sold it to the guy you bought it off and he did some work then got bored.....

Thread Information