Auto AL4 electro valve replacement !
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default Auto AL4 electro valve replacement !

Hi,
    We all know the 2 electro valves that fail in the Al4 autos. The pressure modulation and the convertor lock up valves. The early type were superceded by an improved type, different brand, in the early 2000s. Citroen seems to pretend to customers, that it did not happen and still does not.

I would expect that as they age all transmissions that have the early valves will need them replaced eventually. The recommendation after changing the valves is to "upgrade the transmission software". In the UK and perhaps elsewhere it seems easy to get the computer "flashed" but here we have only the genuine dealers

Advertisement

Are there any other alternatives to the dealers for a softwre upgrade ?? Is there any person who has experience with not upgrading the software. Does the tranny work ok or not. As I understand it the software runs the valves at twice the frequency when modulating them.

Jaahn

Lexia 3 for the software upgrade?
    I must admit to not knowing for sure, but that seems logical, particularly if you have say a V42 or later.

Fellow Frogger

If you fit the later (from around 2001???) 'black' electrovalves to replace the original 'white' type, you must change them as a pair and ensure the software is updated to at least a particular version (the number/reference will vary by model) before you try the gearbox. Software after that version will run either type of electrovalve. You can replace just one with the same type though and that's typically the one for line pressure modulation. The valve block comes out and you need to be careful of pinching the harness and setting the linkage up properly. It also involves a change of oil and the level checking routine.

It was possible to do the updates offline from CD using Proxia and Lexia without hooking up to the French, but that's probably not the case with the current system Diag Box. Don't forget that successive software updates may address a particular issue, but that issue may not be affecting your car, so you would be making a mistake to think that the latest version must be installed to make it work.

If you go to a dealer, they can hook the car up and check for any available updates, but they won't just do this unless asked or if there is a problem to address. It takes time, costs real money and it's not always a trivial exercise. You also have the risk of rendering an ECU useless if you get it wrong.

You also need to know that some versions of software must be upgraded in conjunction with updated versions for another ECU. So, there has often been an engine ECU upgrade that is essential to make a gearbox ECU upgrade work.
    Last edited by David S; 20th May 2012 at 11:49 PM.

1000+ Posts

Default Soft bloody ware !!

“Lexia 3 for the software upgrade?
    I must admit to not knowing for sure, but that seems logical, particularly if you have say a V42 or later.
    Richo”
    Hi Richo , Thanks for the reply. Does anyone know if the Lexia 3 units that you can buy for a reasonable price come with software that includes updates for the cars software. Engine, transmission or? If so what models and engines etc. What upgrades?
    It would be cheaper to buy a Lexia than go to the dealer for the upgrade, judging by the prices I have been told.

Quote "If you fit the later (from around 2001???) 'black' electrovalves to replace the original 'white' type, you must change them as a pair and ensure the software is updated to at least a particular version (the number/reference will vary by model) before you try the gearbox. Software after that version will run either type of electrovalve. You can replace just one with the same type though and that's typically the one for line pressure modulation. The valve block comes out and you need to be careful of pinching the harness and setting the linkage up properly. It also involves a change of oil and the level checking routine.
    It was possible to do the updates offline from CD using Proxia and Lexia without hooking up to the French, but that's probably not the case with the current system Diag Box. Don't forget that successive software updates may address a particular issue, but that issue may not be affecting your car, so you would be making a mistake to think that the latest version must be installed to make it work.
    If you go to a dealer, they can hook the car up and check for any available updates, but they won't just do this unless asked or if there is a problem to address. It takes time, costs real money and it's not always a trivial exercise. You also have the risk of rendering an ECU useless if you get it wrong.
    You also need to know that some versions of software must be upgraded in conjunction with updated versions for another ECU. So, there has often been an engine ECU upgrade that is essential to make a gearbox ECU upgrade work.
    David "

Hi David, Thanks for the extensive reply. A few questions.

Are the original “white” valves still available.Which valves do the Renault transmissions have?

Who had the CDs to do an upgrade. Dealers or aftermarket suppliers.

What are the identifying numbers or names for the software. How might I know what I currently have fitted. Can it be determined by a scanner.

As I do not have a resident dealer I have to travel a couple of hundred Kms to access a dealer. Is it possible for a Peugeot dealer to do it ?
    Jaahn

Fellow Frogger

If the car is operating correctly, leave it as is. Doing an update for the sake of it is not necessarily going to be of any benefit.

Are 'white' electrovalves available? No idea, but after almost 10 years of the black ones being in use I'd expect not. Better to change to the black ones if and when a problem arises. There was some system of stamping 'BW' on the end case if it had the black solenoids fitted, but you wouldn't rely on that.

Before every dealer/workshop was expected to have fast internet connections, the factory sent out CD's to dealers etc. and they would update the software on their diagnostic tools. Under that system, the CD's would have had some limited provision for updating the ECU software.

Generic scanning tools can certainly read fault codes, so they may well be able to obtain the software versions in each of the ECU's. Unlike the fault codes, which are used in many makes, the software version info won't mean much without factory documentation. Software updates are really best left to a Citroen dealer. You could ask a Pug dealer, but my guess is that they can't.

We just replaced the white ones with black ones and have left the software alone. Seems to be running fine. Interestingly we had the solenoids replaced just after we got the car in 2004 and were told by the dealer the car now has the later C5 style solenoids. Does that mean there have been 3 types of solenoids in AL4 production
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Thread Information