how to drive on ice
  • Register
  • Help
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Default how to drive on ice

For those that haven't worked out yet .... you lift off mid corner and stand on the brakes to get the tail around ..... Then stand back on the "go" pedal to try and pull it back straight

Turn the volume off and enjoy

Advertisement
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Leave the sound on the first part and listen to crowd roar for the ds, which is slightly better than the reaction I get driving up Brunswick street.

Adrian

Current;

Xantia V6 Exclusive Auto 2000

Past;

CX25 GTI Turbo series 1 1985
    DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984 Parts
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

Thanks for that

Or you can drop in here during January/February/March:-

http://www.mhmk.fi/

and for 20 euros you can have a go to your hearts content in your rent a car. During winter they clean a race track on ice. One for cars another for bikes.

Word of warning, studded tyres don't give you anywhere near the traction you might imagine.

The relatively low speeds on tight track and snow banks mean that you would have to be unlucky to damage your car even if you loose it.

My preference is to get the tail out initially with the handbrake, but in a front wheel drive you can left foot brake while you accelerate, locking the rear to get it out initially.

After couple of hours on the ice, my daughter was surprisingly proficient.

JBN

The GS's were most impressive. Citroen 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th. Wow. I reckon they would have done even better if there were more cars in the race.

I doubt if I will experience those sort of driving conditions in Sydney during my lifetime. Unless Hell freezes over, I won't even experience those conditions after my lifetime.

John

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FIVEDOOR View Post
    Thanks for that

Or you can drop in here during January/February/March:-

http://www.mhmk.fi/

and for 20 euros you can have a go to your hearts content in your rent a car. During winter they clean a race track on ice. One for cars another for bikes.

Word of warning, studded tyres don't give you anywhere near the traction you might imagine.

The relatively low speeds on tight track and snow banks mean that you would have to be unlucky to damage your car even if you loose it.

My preference is to get the tail out initially with the handbrake, but in a front wheel drive you can left foot brake while you accelerate, locking the rear to get it out initially.

After couple of hours on the ice, my daughter was surprisingly proficient.
    Your going to get a hell of a fright first time you pull the handbrake on in a DS/GS/CX/proper Citroen

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Who says you can't have fun in a car? I've never driven a GS but I reckon if I didn't have Moby Dick I'd be in the market for one now!

That's some lovely footage. Love the concept of the "binary thottle", it's either off or flat.

I was reminded of driving on ice last weekend while taking part in a motorkhana in my Mini (now called the "R&D'luxe" becuse I use it for Research and Development before writing articles about it's various components for a national Mini magazine) but I digress.

The aforementioned motorkhana was held at Pakenham on wet grass which quickly turned to slushy and very slippery mud.

One of the techniques that got me around the course was one I've used before to good effect (many years ago in a Renault 4), that of getting the wheel spinning fast enough to fling the tread clogging mud out of the treads before the wheel again comes around again to meet the mud. One can easily achieve this by being flat out in as high a gear as possible. I reckon I saw 60mph on the old school speedo ( in 4th gear) a few times while feverishly opposite locking, heaving on the handbrake occasionally and laughing hysterically all the while.

I mention this on a French car forum for a couple of reasons. The main one is that my Mini, and a few others, were soundly beaten on the day by a well driven 205 Si, which may, I suspect, have a Quaife diff. The only Mini that came close also has a Quaife.

My bog standard diff would have been working hard, but to no avail. A measure of the wheel spin is that the whole car, white roof and all, finished the day a uniform brown mud colour.

Great Fun!

In the various events I've driven the DS at something approaching full noise, I've also encountered such slippery surfaces, and the same techniques work, just more terrifyingly! Flinging a 3 meter 600 kg Mini around is less terrifying than sliding a 2 tonne 5 metre behemoth, but it's "good scary" not pants wettingly scary.

The feeling and techniques are very similar, just the scale is different!

And on the same general topic. Many years ago I read an interview with one of the many "Death Wish Scandinavian" rally drivers of the 1970's where he mentioned the technique of "blipping the throttle" while understeering on ice. The theory is that if you spin the wheel fast enough you'll melt the ice immediately under the tyre and gain a brief moment of grip. This, combined with the wheels on full lock, will gradually bring the nose around in short bursts. Obviously only applicable to FWD. It needs to be alternate bursts of power and no power to allow the wheel to grip as it winds down before spinning again to melt the next patch of ice, ideally to the right (or left) of the previous bit thereby causing a gradual turning motion. (Where the front goes, the back's usually gotta follow!)

On my way home from a rally in the mountains way with a couple of passengers back when I had my Renault 16, I found myself in just this situation. Full lock, sliding gently towards a concrete culvert at walking pace in 1st gear. (Yes it was snowing and icy in the Noojee hills).

Having nothing to lose I applied brief bursts of throttle while keeping a death grip on the wheel and suction on the seat. I can still feel the relief and amazement at the way the car jerked around with each rev of the motor until we were through the corner and driving quietly onwards, without bending the old beast.

It was a long slow drive down the mountain, but we're here to tell the tale, and remember the technique.

Looking at the way the rooster tails are appearing in the DS footage early in the above video suggests that the same techinique may have been in use there. Mind you, I wouldn't have the cojones to do it that fast in Moby!

A very entertaining bit of footage. Incidentally, does anyone know of others from the Citroen PR department that are accessible?

Cheers, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") On the road! (Woohoo!)
    1957 Slough 2CV ("Alphonse") Waiting in the wings
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Also waiting in the wings
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Your going to get a hell of a fright first time you pull the handbrake on in a DS/GS/CX/proper Citroen

seeya,
    Shane L.
    I'll have to go with left foot braking then

Here is an ice driving instructional video: (The first bit anyway....and some later)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pCJV7NcMcI

Note position of engine.....
    Last edited by Kim Luck; 20th May 2012 at 10:14 PM.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Banned

[QUOTE=DoubleChevron;1063790]For those that haven't worked out yet .... you lift off mid corner and stand on the brakes to get the tail around ..... Then stand back on the "go" pedal to try and pull it back straight

ah those were the days! when a car company had promotional material instructing you on how to get a car sideways around a corner...
    Last edited by alexander; 20th May 2012 at 11:07 PM.

Thread Information