My rusty BX...
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: My rusty BX...

Default My rusty BX...

Some of you may well remember me moaning about the terrible state of my car, and how I doubted it would pass another MOT later this year.
    Well, I have the solution to the problem.... I bought another car.

It's another BX 1.7 TZD turbo, that I heard about through word of mouth, that has been sat in a garage for the last 7 years. The guy who sold it to me tells me that his father who owned the car, is now in a care home with Alzheimers, and will not be driving again.
    This car has a REALLY good body. In fact the floor, sills, A pillars (all well known places for BX rust) are just as good as the day they left the factory.

Advertisement

The plan, is with all the spares I have, over the next few weeks, build a really good car that will last for many years.

I'm going to buy several tins of body cavity wax, and also stone chip, and hopefully rust proof the car, before changing the engine... (he'd been running it on chip fat) which had already wrecked one engine, but he still didn't learn! The engine is currently OK, but wrong for the car, so as I have a known good one, I'll use that.

I will need to change a few plastic parts as they are scruffy, and of course the instrument panel which is standard, and is very basic...(I'll fit the one from a BX 16v) but that's no biggie!

You'd be forgiven for thinking you are seeing double...
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

Great buy. Great find actually. I've never seen significant rust on a BX. It is amazing what is sitting in sheds. A bit like the red CX Pallas advertised here not long ago.

Enjoy it.

You won't have a spare non-cracked dashboard I suppose........ I've never seen one intact!!

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post

You won't have a spare non-cracked dashboard I suppose........ I've never seen one intact!!

Cheers
    Yes, I have 3! do you mean the vent for the air blowers, or the whole black dashboard?

JBN

I think you deserve an over achievers award for rust in the BX. I have never had the patience to get past the plastic to see if there was any metal in a BX.

John

Quote Originally Posted by smiffy1071 View Post
    Yes, I have 3! do you mean the vent for the air blowers, or the whole black dashboard?
    Three!!

Well, I've cracks in the main dash and disintegration in the air vents.

How on earth to pack and ship such a thing economically? We'll be in UK for a few days in June but it is hardly hand-luggage.

Let me ponder this.....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    I think you deserve an over achievers award for rust in the BX. I have never had the patience to get past the plastic to see if there was any metal in a BX.

John
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Three!!

Well, I've cracks in the main dash and disintegration in the air vents.

How on earth to pack and ship such a thing economically? We'll be in UK for a few days in June but it is hardly hand-luggage.

Let me ponder this.....
    No indeed not! Last time I tried to send the windscreen vent to Australia, they told me I wasn't allowed to due to its weird size!

Maybe if you are buying other things while you are here, you could send it all in a big crate?

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Why bother .... you'd spend a fortune getting the dash here..... And the first time you drove the car in daylight .................. The replacement would crack

I need a replacement dash without cracks for my CX too.... but there's no point as I know it would just crack the first time I used the car on a hot day

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Why bother .... you'd spend a fortune getting the dash here..... And the first time you drove the car in daylight .................. The replacement would crack

I need a replacement dash without cracks for my CX too.... but there's no point as I know it would just crack the first time I used the car on a hot day

seeya,
    Shane L.
    You're right of course. I'd like one intact to use as a mould from which I could get a properly finished GRP cover that would fit over the debris, which at least is in place more or less, and hold the bits together!

Cheers and thanks for the sensible comment!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Thanks to smiffy several years back I got a full set of working doors for the 3cubicles in the center of my dash. They were never even opened, yet all 3 broke within weeks. The plastic expanded so much in the heat, it obviously smashed all the hinges. Even if kept out of the sun, I wouldn't be surprised if the dashes cracked themselves sitting in a hot shed. It's the plastic unstressing itself as it expands.

Sadly bloody poogoe had taken over Citroen by the time the series II CX came along. They put a bloody BX plastic in it Everything poogoe didn't touch with the "facelift" is still perfect though

seeya
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Wonderful smiffy! Wish we had the TZD's here!

Ps, when I do decide to import a black dash I will talk to you!

In case you didn't know, the TZD is very much like 16v as far as trim goes... dashboard, exhaust, door locks (with the extra bit to tell you if it's open) it's nearly all the same!

Quote Originally Posted by frog View Post
    Wonderful smiffy! Wish we had the TZD's here!

Ps, when I do decide to import a black dash I will talk to you!
    There's a diesel in Perth, re wagon, very much a workhorse.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Ok, so I thought it was about time I got on with re-commissioning this car. First thing to do, was to get rid of the small ammount of rot in the front left inner wing.

So after removing the outer wing, it reveals this

From the inside it looks like this

Not a horrifying amount of rot, but I'd still prefer it wasn't there.
    first thing to do, is cut all that out with a grinder

until it ends up looking a bit like this

Then using some cardboard, make some templates to roughly the right shape

Next cut the plates from a sheet of steel....or if like me you are really mean and
    don't want to spend money on sheet steel, why not cut up a spare car wing...

Next, hammer the plates into roughly the right shape

and weld them into position

After this has been done, don't forget to paint with undercoat, and a decent rust inhibiting pant.

Next, I thought it would be a good time to change the leaking pressure regulator, and flow dividing valve. Luckily for me, I have a known good spare one on a scrap car (I took it off the road in sep 2010, and it was just fine then) so it was just as easy for me to change the whole thing.
    As this major part of the Hydraulic system was off, I also thought it would be a good time to change the LHM fluid, which instead of bright green, was a straw colour. Luckily here in the UK, it's really easy to get genuine Total hydraurincage.
    Before I put this fluid in the car, I thought I'd best check if the bleed nipples on the brake callipers would turn.... not a chance!
    Lucky for me, about 5 years back, I scrapped a couple of CX's which I had the foresight to remove the rear callipers from, and have cleaned up. CX and BX rear callipers are the same, and I deliberately left the nipples loose. also, I have the front callipers from my scrap car.
    Now, here was very nearly a BIG problem, the flexible front brake hoses didn't want to undo from the callipers I was taking off the car and if I didn't have spare brand new ones which I'd bought 4 years ago when you could still get them, I'd be stuffed! (before you all start telling me these are easy to get, as anyone with a 16v car will tell you, ABS hoses are different.. the calliper end is the same, but the other end has a 9mm hole instead of an 8mm hole.)

After that was completed, I thought I'd ditch the coolant, which has been in there since the beginning of time. I'm glad I did, it was rusty brown, so at least the car now has proper coolant in, and I won't have to worry about cold weather.

That's all for now, to be continued....

Aren't those steel wheels shitty? I think so too.

Have just taken delivery of this set of Citroen Saxo VTR wheels.

They are in excellent condition, but require putting in the hot parts cleaner at work, and then a new set of 185 60 14 tyres.

More to follow, including how to add all the wiring to upgrade the standard boring dash, to a full 16v spec with all the gauges working!

Thanks for keeping us updated smiffy, means I don't have to go on BXclub for a fix! Those wheels should look alright! Geez it would be nice to have a hot parts cleaner at my disposal!

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post

John
    I tend to agree there I didn't think plastic could rust.

Its funny from one side of the planet to the other, we've wrecked dozens of BX's and I've never seen a rusty one, in fact there have a very good reputation as far as rust goes.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

You guys need to see what the salty water does to cars .... it's simply unbelievable how they rust. That's why I'm forever saying "get it up on a hoist" when people are looking at cars imported from the UK. If you look at the XM forums, there even doing full sill replacements on them over there. The plastic bits last though

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by frog View Post
    Thanks for keeping us updated smiffy, means I don't have to go on BXclub for a fix! Those wheels should look alright! Geez it would be nice to have a hot parts cleaner at my disposal!
    I can't tell you how useful it is to have one of these

Great for engine blocks, wheels, hubs, and if you leave an oily engine block or cylinder head in there for about 30 mins, it comes out looking like new!

Meanwhile, for those who don't have access to one of these, wait till your parents, or wife go to bed.... and put your bits in the dish washer!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    You guys need to see what the salty water does to cars .... it's simply unbelievable how they rust. That's why I'm forever saying "get it up on a hoist" when people are looking at cars imported from the UK. If you look at the XM forums, there even doing full sill replacements on them over there. The plastic bits last though

seeya,
    Shane L.
    I've seen and been involved with dozens of UK cars and yes they rust badly. The CX safari's I've restored were all very rotten but Aussie CX's had quite a rust reputation also so its no surprise the UK cars were bad.

But the BX is such a rust free car here had its hard to believe they could rust. We've had one sitting out the back for years with doors missing and its still as solid as a rock. If it was a CX/DS/GS it would be long gone by now.

Over there the rust problem is so bad that motor mechanics are expected to know how to replace sill panels and do basic welding jobs. Here thats a panel beaters job. A UK mechanic I knew use to replace outer sills on XJ Jags all the time and was amazed that our mechanics couldn't do that.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Wow, my BX has no rust in it, and my dash has no cracks. Vasoline seems to have solved all, though not the rust. My BX has even had to cope with Australian sun. The only thing that I would like replace is the plastic vents near the windscreen, bit I am going to superglue them......

Damn!

I just took the drivers side front wing and plastic inner off, so I could wash inside the wheel arch.....in order to paint it.
    Just under where the LHM tank is, there is a hole the size of a 50c coin, and another hole a little bigger.
    So, I'll need to buy my friend with the welder some more beer!
    Still, I'd rather find all this now, instead of after it's on the road and then have to pull it all to bits, and be without a car!
    I'm going to put the car on ramps (no, not a lift, I've not got one of those yet) so I can wash all the crap from under the car, in fact I'll even drop the fuel tank while I'm at it, so the whole of the underside of the car can be painted with rust inhibiting stone chip paint.
    I really don't want to do this job again!
    Last edited by smiffy1071; 17th September 2012 at 01:34 PM.

Amazing, that car must never have had an LHM leak to be rusty underneath the tank! Usually LHM gets slopped all over that area whenever you top it up

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

It was too dark to take photos, but I will get some pics before it gets welded.
    I wasn't entirely surprised, as I've seen them go there before.
    I did manage to replace the fog light wiring harness though

good to see there are some still trying to keep BX's on the road in the uk

i only saw 1 in my 2 yrs there (2009 - 2011) (a red 16v BX in letchworth) saw a few ZX's though all over the traps

though its getting to be just as hard to see a BX here now as well

as for those saying the BX never rusts here in Australia
    i have had 2
    both had rust in the front pillar where the top of the windscreen is

and other known rust point

but both had LHM leaks so no rust in the engine area

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information