BX Clutch linkage and Hoses advice needed
  • Register
  • Help

Default BX Clutch linkage and Hoses advice needed

I need some help. As all can imagine mechanics in the lovely central west are very reluctant to fix anything Citroen.....wait til I eventually get another CX or even a GS.....but more poor little baby TZI is a little unwell at the moment. The clutch is pretty much non existent at the moment. It happened all of a sudden sitting at the lights one day the pedal started feeling strange the the car start to stall. Now I have spoken to DS motors and they diagnosed it as the linkage that joins onto the gearbox either being seized or cracked. Does anyone have any good replacements, or know where to get them? I figured it just started to play up because I have bought a second car (as a back up and every dirt road I drive on seems to sacrifice another hydraulic hose...).

The other issue is I am very over the front hydraulic leak. They should make LHM into currency, they sure do charge enough for it in the country. You should have seen the look on the face of the REPCO guy when I asked for it. He was like LH what? But they managed to get it for me so can't complain. The leak is from this one annoying hose it is one of the large ones coming out of the green reservoir, the one closest to the radiator. If anyone has a complete one even with holes in it that I can take in to get copied (joys of the country lots of hydraulic hose places) that would be greatly appreciated.

The last issue besides no heater, The Hydraulic pump fan belt keeps getting loose and screaming. This is so annoying. Does anyone else have this problem?

Advertisement

Other then that its still fun having the only BX in town. There is two other old Citroens around, a '78 CX Pallas Diesel in fabulous green (so want it!) and there is a blue DS Pallas hidden in Narromine, it was the local doctors car who bought it new......I am trying to track that one down.....

Fellow Frogger

The heater is often down to the tap failing.

Is the belt wearing out prematurely and working its way down the valley of the pulley? Does the pump momentarily bind up as it runs??? Could be failing.

If the clutcj cable arrangement is the same as a for a 16 Valve (not sure??) look at where the clutch cable housing end fits on the firewall as it can break up and you lose adjustment. The plastic end can let go there.

You could probably make up something, but many return lines join up together, so you'd need to address that. Maybe, you will be better off with a new hydraulic return harness? They are available as far as I know and you might find this thread of help as there was a similar problem:
    WTB BX 16 Valve bits

Thanks for that, that was very helpful....but alas, have replaced all those. Now its time for the high pressure ones....

Does anyone have more diagrams of the hydraulic hoses for the BX? I have now saved the ones that are on the link above but the High pressure lines would be great, Possibly the back also?

Fellow Frogger

The high pressure lines are not rubber and you should only ever need to replace them if there has been impact damage, chafing or corrosion (unlikely here). If it's leaking at the back look to the boots, return lines in nylon and rubber, perhaps even the height corrector. If it's leaking badly at the front, look at the steering pinion, which is a common failure point, but a pain to get at.

I will take a Picture tomorrow of the one that I mean so its clearer

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    The high pressure lines are not rubber and you should only ever need to replace them if there has been impact damage, chafing or corrosion (unlikely here). If it's leaking at the back look to the boots, return lines in nylon and rubber, perhaps even the height corrector. If it's leaking badly at the front, look at the steering pinion, which is a common failure point, but a pain to get at.
    Years ago I noticed fine mist under the BX (a 19TZi) in the early morning sun. It was a micro-hole in the main HP pipe from pump to regulator (fiddly shape doesn't come near to describing it) and we had it repaired. Basically found a hose place prepared to silver solder a reinforced flexible hose onto shorter lengths that fitted into pump outlet and regulator inlet. This repair is 7 years old and just fine. Our problem was getting exactly the right pipe as a spare part.

I can't imagine how you'd get the thing out unless you pull out the radiator and God knows what else, if that pipe is the one. It is quite a shape!!

Ours had chafed where a rubber sleeve had dropped out.

The good news is that repairs can be achieved.

Equally, when you know which pipe it is, I'd imagine someone would have one. I know where there is one on a dead car but honestly haven't the day spare that it would take to drive there, pull half the front off the car and retrieve the pipe, or I'd offer. Oh, I don't know the condition of the pipe either! Probably OK.

Best of luck.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Forgot to say how nice to hear of a loved BX. They seem to be disappearing fast over here.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger!

Gudday Gazelle,

Hydraulic pump drive belts need to have the correct rating. Belts designed to drive alternators will not do. Using even high quality alternator belts they will invariably fail (after several tightenings) within a couple of weeks.

Dunno who your local supplier is, but perhaps a call on the local truck parts dealer? Generally there is evidence of multiple fabric layers showing through the sides of the successful belts.

I have used Citroen belt 5750.F9, Dayco Top Cog 15315 and Bando RAF2315 10A 0795 with success.

Regards,

fento

Thread Information