Love that Xantia
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 12345 Last
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Love that Xantia

Default Love that Xantia

Our Xantia SX just rolled over 200k so off to Jason to have a new timing belt fitted and other while you are at it jobs.

Parts replaced:

Timing belt
    rollers for belt and tensioner
    Water Pump - the old one had just started to leak - perfect timing
    O rings in the hydraulic pump as it had been weeping on the alternator- common Xantia issue
    Pressure regulation solenoid, Converter lockup solenoid - gearbox had put itself into limp mode 4 times in the past 6 months. What came out had white electrical sockets what went in have black, the later type. Maybe the 3rd type since the birth of the AL4
    Hydraulic Suction hose replaced - you could never get a 10 year old one off the pump in one piece

I went to pick it up, admittedly I had given it a wash and polish before I took it, turned around and started to drive up the incline to the roadway in my wife's lovely white Xantia. For a moment I thought is the engine running, simple logic says it must be as the car is gaining speed up an incline. The motor is soooo quiet now it is hard to believe. With the car clean I could have been driving a new Xantia. It must be the rollers and possibly the water pump, that weren't obviously noisier before but with the noise removed it is noticeable.

It gets better, the AL4 is even smoother than before. yes it can be caught out, it is an AL4 after all but in normal operation it is smoother now

Love that car

Advertisement
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    Our Xantia SX just rolled over 200k so off to Jason to have a new timing belt fitted and other while you are at it jobs.

Parts replaced:

Timing belt
    rollers for belt and tensioner
    Water Pump - the old one had just started to leak - perfect timing
    O rings in the hydraulic pump as it had been weeping on the alternator- common Xantia issue
    Pressure regulation solenoid, Converter lockup solenoid - gearbox had put itself into limp mode 4 times in the past 6 months. What came out had white electrical sockets what went in have black, the later type. Maybe the 3rd type since the birth of the AL4
    Hydraulic Suction hose replaced - you could never get a 10 year old one off the pump in one piece

I went to pick it up, admittedly I had given it a wash and polish before I took it, turned around and started to drive up the incline to the roadway in my wife's lovely white Xantia. For a moment I thought is the engine running, simple logic says it must be as the car is gaining speed up an incline. The motor is soooo quiet now it is hard to believe. With the car clean I could have been driving a new Xantia. It must be the rollers and possibly the water pump, that weren't obviously noisier before but with the noise removed it is noticeable.

It gets better, the AL4 is even smoother than before. yes it can be caught out, it is an AL4 after all but in normal operation it is smoother now

Love that car
    Lovely story. I'm pretty fond of ours too. Much under-rated and undervalued cars I reckon.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

JBN

Yes, I agree with the above sentiments. I hope mine lasts forever as I like the look of the Xantia. I like the handy hatchback. I love the brake pedal and accelerator pedal being on the same plane, I reckon its good for a 1/3 of a second saving in response time compared to normal cars where you lift the right foot, find the pedal and then push it down for ages.

John

Default Well said, Sir!

I have to agree with you folks...

I'm planning to keep mine forever (parts availability notwithstanding)...

Cheers,

Andrew Matusiewicz
    1999 Xantia SX 16 valve 5 speed (jetzt mit Komfortkugeln )

I would sell ours tomorrow if it was worth any thing when your offered only 3grand for a 110,000k. Car might as well drive it into the ground unless it bleeds to death first
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

With 2 Xantias In the family, I echo Greg's sentiments.
    My series 1 SX was bought as an insurance write-off with approx 170 000ks and no service history. Since being returned to the road it has done around 30000ks, and beyond normal servicing has needed only a pulley, a thermostat, a catalytic converter, and strut tops. It sits for long periods unused, and does have a slight weep from the heater when first restarted, but this is the only item other than a new muffler that presently requires attention. Passengers who know nothing about cars generally think it's a relatively new vehicle, rather than over 15 yo and something the media would have you believe should never have been allowed back on the road.
    My mother's series 2 SX is so little used that it's servicability is not indicative of the model, and it is now requiring age-related maintenance. It may be worth very little compared to the initial 1999 purchase price, but when you want to keep it that doesn't really matter.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

JBN

It is funny how we often value things on the price we paid for it or could get for it if we sold.

There is always someone, somewhere, who can provide the same product/service at a lower price, and those that look at price alone are this man's fair game.

The people that do have a valid grumble about the Xantia are those that bought new and sold after a few years at a loss.

Those other people that grumble (but with a smirk) are those that bought a Xantia second hand at a very reasonable price. Not difficult to do in a country with a popultaion of 21 million of which 20 million hate Citroen.

The latter get a car which was very well built (for a Citroen) and well built against any other car. Their weak point is the electrics/electronics, but they are not Robinsoin Crusoe in that regard. They are roomy, practical (hatchback), comfortable and handle well. Thieves are not interested in stealing Citroens and in general no one takes any notice of a Xantia. This is possibly due to the fact that no Australian can pronounce the name. If it was name FOOTY or BEER or HOLDEN or FALCON, that would be a different matter.

Owning a Xantia puts you into a very select league of intelligent, astute people who buy a car for specific well thought out reasons. This select group is completely different to those that buy an big SUV (Sexually Under Valued) because everyone else does. They don't know why they bought a vehicle that is hard to park, easy to reverse over kids/pets/bicycles and costs a bomb to fill up with fuel, but the guy next door must know the reason or someone in the street must know because they all have them.

Vive le difference.

John

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    It is funny how we often value things on the price we paid for it or could get for it if we sold.

There is always someone, somewhere, who can provide the same product/service at a lower price, and those that look at price alone are this man's fair game.

The people that do have a valid grumble about the Xantia are those that bought new and sold after a few years at a loss.

Those other people that grumble (but with a smirk) are those that bought a Xantia second hand at a very reasonable price. Not difficult to do in a country with a popultaion of 21 million of which 20 million hate Citroen.

The latter get a car which was very well built (for a Citroen) and well built against any other car. Their weak point is the electrics/electronics, but they are not Robinsoin Crusoe in that regard. They are roomy, practical (hatchback), comfortable and handle well. Thieves are not interested in stealing Citroens and in general no one takes any notice of a Xantia. This is possibly due to the fact that no Australian can pronounce the name. If it was name FOOTY or BEER or HOLDEN or FALCON, that would be a different matter.

Owning a Xantia puts you into a very select league of intelligent, astute people who buy a car for specific well thought out reasons. This select group is completely different to those that buy an big SUV (Sexually Under Valued) because everyone else does. They don't know why they bought a vehicle that is hard to park, easy to reverse over kids/pets/bicycles and costs a bomb to fill up with fuel, but the guy next door must know the reason or someone in the street must know because they all have them.

Vive le difference.

John
    Agreed. I was only wondering yesterday whether I'd ever find a suitable replacement for the Xantia. Then I decided, yet again, that it was a waste of good time speculating as I'm keeping it for years to come.

In Archrival's defence, however, he has had a couple of horrendous and pretty troublesome/stupid failures (and it is a V6). They were, if I recall, heater assembly stuff and the HP steering pipes, which seem to fracture on V6 cars and not on the 4 cylinder cars. His is a really nice car actually, but I can understand why he probably prefers his Cadillac.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

Default Bit too much 405 in it?

Quote Originally Posted by ARCHRIVAL View Post
    I would sell ours tomorrow if it was worth any thing when your offered only 3grand for a 110,000k. Car might as well drive it into the ground unless it bleeds to death first
    Another citroen nut I know has been working on a couple of Xantias. They have a lot of design and parts commonality with the 405, so are just as unpleasant to work on.

He actually prefers working on Ds and, having done engines and wrecked 405s I have to agree.

Our 405 turns into a pumpkin midnight on the first of June...at least I don't have to feed it LHM. The heater doesn't leak because the core is a modified VZ commodore unit.

I do have a brand new(unpainted spare part) Xantia sedan tailgate with a small chip in one corner leaning against the back of the shed if anyone wants to come and get it.

As to Xantias, I'm glad I didn't, but I'm just as glad others did. The unloved ones will become scrap, the loved ones will become treasured. There needs to be a few sheds around to fill with Xantia spares (possibly those sheds being cleaned out of red fluid D spares?)

It wasn't long ago that someone would give you a carton to take a D away.

Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Llewellyn View Post
    Another citroen nut I know has been working on a couple of Xantias. They have a lot of design and parts commonality with the 405, so are just as unpleasant to work on.

He actually prefers working on Ds and, having done engines and wrecked 405s I have to agree.

Our 405 turns into a pumpkin midnight on the first of June...at least I don't have to feed it LHM. The heater doesn't leak because the core is a modified VZ commodore unit.

I do have a brand new(unpainted spare part) Xantia sedan tailgate with a small chip in one corner leaning against the back of the shed if anyone wants to come and get it.

As to Xantias, I'm glad I didn't, but I'm just as glad others did. The unloved ones will become scrap, the loved ones will become treasured. There needs to be a few sheds around to fill with Xantia spares (possibly those sheds being cleaned out of red fluid D spares?)

Bruce.
    Not quite "damning with faint praise" there Bruce. Not even faint praise.

Our Xantia has never needed working on except standard maintenance and the heater radiator at 14 years. What's more our work Commodore cost a fortune to replace its heater radiator and it was only about 3 years old at the time.

I'd suspect the newer they are the worse to work on, just about regardless of brand. Looking under a Megane Sport bonnet yesterday, the Xantia looks like a 1950s US V8 engine compartment in comparison, for space and access.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Our Xantia has never needed working on except standard maintenance and the heater radiator at 14 years.
    I've had my 1999 Xantia SX since new - to date its travelled 235,000km.

In that time the sum total of work on it has comprised regular servicing (including spheres, pads, rotors and a new battery), along with replacement of the heater core.

That's it.

In my mind a reliable proposition by any standard.

Cheers,

Andrew Matusiewicz
    1999 Xantia SX 16 valve 5 speed ( jetzt mit Komfortkugeln!)

Quote Originally Posted by XantiaHead View Post
    I've had my 1999 Xantia SX since new - to date its travelled 235,000km.

In that time the sum total of work on it has comprised regular servicing (including spheres, pads, rotors and a new battery), along with replacement of the heater core.

That's it.

In my mind a reliable proposition by any standard.

Cheers,

Andrew Matusiewicz
    Still running the original strut mounts??? I replaced ours as, in my mind, preventative maintenance, at 12 years. The old ones looked perfect. But I binned them.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

I really did like my 96 Xantia with the number plate XANT1A , but it was jinxed from day 150 or so! Twice I got hit in the arse , and twice I hit someone in the arse! The fourth time John Hunter finally wrote it off. Then I bought the Salvage rights and resold it through the Trading Post after getting a few bits for it and using panels salvaged from the previous prangs. Daniel, the next owner didn't fare so well either as a truck him and also he did the diff soon after! I don't think it is still alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bertie View Post
    I really did like my 96 Xantia with the number plate XANT1A , but it was jinxed from day 150 or so! Twice I got hit in the arse , and twice I hit someone in the arse! The fourth time John Hunter finally wrote it off. Then I bought the Salvage rights and resold it through the Trading Post after getting a few bits for it and using panels salvaged from the previous prangs. Daniel, the next owner didn't fare so well either as a truck him and also he did the diff soon after! I don't think it is still alive.
    That wasn't a Friday car, it was a Friday 13th car.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    That wasn't a Friday car, it was a Friday 13th car.
    Perhaps so.

Still running the original strut mounts??? I replaced ours as, in my mind, preventative maintenance, at 12 years. The old ones looked perfect. But I binned them.
    YUP!

As I understand the strut issue isn't an issue for series 2 Xantias, as their mounts are constructed quite differently.

Having said that, I am nonetheless checking the mounts every 10,000km.

Cheers,

Andrew Matusiewicz

Quote Originally Posted by XantiaHead View Post
    YUP!

As I understand the strut issue isn't an issue for series 2 Xantias, as their mounts are constructed quite differently.

Having said that, I am nonetheless checking the mounts every 10,000km.

Cheers,

Andrew Matusiewicz
    Understood. Thanks. Good idea to keep an eye on them - my understanding is that even if the rubber fails, the strut rod can't go up through the hole. "New" type strut mounts are on mine now.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Default 3rd time's a charm!

Great to hear plently of Xantia appreciation out there. Thanks Greg C for getting us started.

I've had three since October 2007 and loved them all. The third (which I only bought the other day) is a well-kept one owner '99 SX 5 speed wagon - an absolute credit to it's first owner.

The first was a '97 VSX Turbo CT which, once I put through its mid-life rejuvenation (struts, clutch, wheel bearings etc.) was simply wonderful. Oh how I miss going up hills and around corners in that baby But just a little bit thirsty, cramped to work on and little bit small cargo-wise for my liking, so it was sold to a fellow in Worrigee NSW. (I miss it so much I've even a few times considered seeing if he wants to sell it back to me, but I like sleeping indoors at night .

So in only October last year I found the second one, a very nice '99 SX 5 speed wagon. A big contrast to the Turbo CT. Capacious, significantly more economical, easier to work on and with a few Series 2 niceties that the Turbo didn't have. But..... despite my efforts at being open-minded I have not been able to get to like the leather upholstery (and I can't stand seat covers). So since I found the third car with beautiful velour seats and all the ticks in the right boxes, the fate of No. 2 has been sealed. That said, I know I'll miss it too. (I haven't done up an ad for this car yet, but will list it in the 'Cars for Sale' section asap).

Anyhoo, it's taken three attempts, but I'm so glad I've persisted and have found a nice one that suits me really well. If I can help it, I'll have it on the road for many years to come.

Harvey.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    So in only October last year I found the second one, a very nice '99 SX 5 speed wagon.
    Harvey.
    Where did you find it, and how many K's had it done. I gave up looking and got a C5 wagon this week. Shame we didn't get the VSX wagon here, wouldn't mind a low mileage series2 manual!

Fellow Frogger!

I have 2 xantias a series 1 turbo and a v6 series 2
    The series 2 is a slightly better car than the turbo
    The v6 motor IMHO is a great motor
    When the coolant leaks were sorted I would rate the cars as really reliable
    Any how good cars but not worth a great deal with there inherent annoyances

Fellow Frogger!

I have put new engine mounts on the v6
    Much smoother
    Looks like they sag over time as there were no major splits

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    Great to hear plently of Xantia appreciation out there. Thanks Greg C for getting us started.

I've had three since October 2007 and loved them all. ...

The first was a '97 VSX Turbo CT which, once I put through its mid-life rejuvenation (struts, clutch, wheel bearings etc.) was simply wonderful. Oh how I miss going up hills and around corners in that baby

Harvey.

Hi Harvey

I have had a Turbo CT for the last 6 years - has now done about 220,000 km. It's also a '97 Series I. Interesting to hear what you had to overhaul - I've not had to touch any of the things you mentioned!

The problems with mine have mostly been rubber - all rubber return lines have been replaced, the brake valve boot ripped and filled the driver's footwell with LHM , and the lower control arm bushes have been done a couple of times. No doubt the engine mounts need replacing.

Naturally I've had to replace disks and pads, and I've replaced the alternator (oh and of course the brushes in the radiator fans have needed attention). There have been a few problems common to Xantias (the cabin fan for example), but the drive train has been fantastic.

Totally agree with you about the fun factor - it is the only car I've owned that partially replaces the motor bikes I rode when younger. I'm surprised to hear Sherman say he prefers the V6 - I have driven a couple of V6 406s and found that you had to rev them much harder to get anything out of them.

Cheers

Alec

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Llewellyn View Post

Bruce.
    Just noted this post
    Xantias are just like any car to work on
    Which job qualifies them as ":hard to work on"?
    Some one on this site said the motor might have to be removed to do the timing belt
    It is this sort of lack of knowledge that gives a car the reputation 'hard to work on"
    If you want hard to work on try a transfer case on an Austin Champ whilst half buried in mud

JBN

Generally I agree that the Xantia is easy to work on. More room in the engine bay than the BX it replaced.

There is one area where Xantias are a pain. That is the rubber tubing for LHM return lines. It snakes around the back of the LHM reservoir and disappears.

Unfortunately, the first foot is close to the engine and the rubber gets brittle exposed to the heat. If you can't effect a good splice into the existing rubber before it disappears from view, it is a real pain. Worse on a VSX.

John

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman View Post
    Just noted this post
    Xantias are just like any car to work on
    Which job qualifies them as ":hard to work on"?
    How about accessing the radiator fans? Removing the front bumper is a pig of a job (OK, some may say they can access the fans without removing the bumper, but I like my knuckles as they are), virtually impossible without a workshop manual (or access to AF) to find all the hidden nuts and bolts.

By comparison it's a breeze on my 605 - I was able to understand how to remove it just by looking.

Cheers

Alec

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Thread Information