C5 gear problem
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: C5 gear problem

Tadpole

Default C5 gear problem

Hi all,
    My 2001 C5 diesel displays "automatic gear fault" and locks into 3rd gear as it warms up. When it does this, I turn the ignition off and on and all is good again for the rest of the day even if I stop again. All the faults in the computer have been cleared, and the transmission oil has been replaced with the genuine french stuff. Has anyone got any thoughts regarding this?

Advertisement

Was the oil wear counter in the gearbox ECU reset when the oil was changed?

Is the car saying there are any stored fault codes?

Cheers,

Ken W

Fellow Frogger!

Default Gearbox oil

I just bought a second-hand 2007 diesel C5. It had its first service yesterday. After reading horror stories of Citroen gearboxes I thought I would be pro active and have the trans fluid change. My new mechanic told me it was an exclusive Citroen oil. It cost $220 .
    Per litre! And it takes 4.
    Didn't buy that!

Cheers

David

Tadpole

Yeah, thanks Ken, this has been a bit of an ongoing problem for quite a while, and all faults have been cleared many times. I will check that the oil wear counter was sorted out though. Tah.

Tadpole

Default gear box oil

Hi Dave, Sounds to me like you were nearly ripped. My C5 is a 2001 model and the manual says it takes 2 litres. I drained the old fluid out and it was 2 litres exactly. The genuine oil that I bought from Brisbane Citroen cost me about $75 including freight. Cheers James

Fellow Frogger

Fairly sure you'd need 4 litres to do the AL4 change, so you may have underfilled it. Did you follow the procedure to let the internal weir overflow at 60C? The manual gearbox may use 2 litres and you'd need 2 x 2 liter ATF bottles, but the automatic gearbox has a larger capacity than the amount you can change.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Auto

I knew enough to stay away from the AL$ as Shane calls it. Mine is the 6 speed (Aisin Warner ?)

1000+ Posts

Default AL4 problems ?

Quote Originally Posted by jassey View Post
    Hi all,
    My 2001 C5 diesel displays "automatic gear fault" and locks into 3rd gear as it warms up. When it does this, I turn the ignition off and on and all is good again for the rest of the day even if I stop again. All the faults in the computer have been cleared, and the transmission oil has been replaced with the genuine french stuff. Has anyone got any thoughts regarding this?
    Hi,
    The usual problem. Search this forum for AL4 etc and read. Its all been said before.

Most likely the valves failing. They play up when cold and the computer detects a fault and goes into the limp home mode. Then you reset and they work OK for the rest of the trip.

The old valves were superceeded by a new type some time, early 2000s. You need to have the new style fitted and the software upgraded as recommended for the new valves. Get a quote before you start.

In my opinion this fault is not cured or avoided by changing the oil, despite what some people say. However changing the oil is good for other problem. The oil will be changed again as the transmission needs to be "opened up" to remove the valve body to access the valves. The 2 new valves fit in the same as the old ones. They are available through non Citroen suppliers but the software upgrade is probably not.

Jaahn

Fellow Frogger

One would typically replace the pressure modulation electrovalve and possibly leave the one, which is identical (Edit: Must be identical.) , for the converter lockup since it does less work. The valve block needs to come out to do the job, so you get fresh oil at that point.
    Last edited by David S; 18th May 2012 at 09:28 PM.

You need to get the fault codes read. Like David S my money would be on a pressure regulation fault so you need to replace that solenoid. You will get a later type now, supposedly better and certainly feels that way as we just fitted one to our Xantia
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Tadpole

Default C5 gear problem

Thanks everyone, Geez, it just seems to get more and more complicated. I think I'll pursue the valve replacement angle (and hopefully without a second mortgage) and see what happens. Cheers. James

Thread Information