Ratrod conversions
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

Default Ratrod conversions

Hi everyone...

Looking through page 24 of the ebay listings at the discussion on putting citroen hydralics in other cars;

Two possibilities I have been thinking about using BX or Xantia front struts.

One is the Subaru liberty, which has struts all around. It is a simple case of fitting a belt drive Citroen hydraulic pump in addition to the normal power steering pump, finding somewhere for the spheres and fitting regulator, accumulator etc. The car would require both Dextron (for the steering) and LHM (for the suspension)

The other is the EA82, Toyota Corolla. This is the first front wheel drive model and available with the old narrow deck 4 series twin cam or can be retrofitted with the later hairier twin cams.

I have not looked at one, but the first front wheel drive Toyota Celica may also be capable of being modified to accept BX or Xantia front strutsboth front and rear and, despite Bertone's best efforts it is prettier than a BX

The Ro 80 could also be converted, but they have a ride as good as a 604, so I'd want to leave it alone.

In all cases the original vacuum assisted brakes would be retained.

Now who's got a few dead BXs with good struts, hydraulic lines, pumps etc?

Bruce.

I don't think there is any risk of 'Harriet" being rat rodded except in photoshop!

Advertisement
    Last edited by Bruce Llewellyn; 17th May 2012 at 12:04 PM. Reason: typo

Harriet will remain the same as I bought it. No rat-rodding will ever take place!

I had a GS with a 12A Rotary and that was fun. Double the power of a 1220 and got an indulgent 220km a tank if I was hammering it hard. Used to blow the doors off most morons at the lights who tuned in to the provocative exhaust sound the GS omitted. One time I pulled up to the second set of lights, and the driver in his Commonwhore spat at my car!

An Ro80 with hydraulic suspension would be an interesting idea, but they do have an exceptional ride as you mentioned.

I'm sure Steeley would have some dead BX's or DS Motors for your Frankensteining
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Quote Originally Posted by donat View Post
    Harriet will remain the same as I bought it. No rat-rodding will ever take place!

I had a GS with a 12A Rotary and that was fun. Double the power of a 1220 and got an indulgent 220km a tank if I was hammering it hard. Used to blow the doors off most morons at the lights who tuned in to the provocative exhaust sound the GS omitted. One time I pulled up to the second set of lights, and the driver in his Commonwhore spat at my car!

An Ro80 with hydraulic suspension would be an interesting idea, but they do have an exceptional ride as you mentioned.

I'm sure Steeley would have some dead BX's or DS Motors for your Frankensteining
    A few Ro80 owners have swapped in Mazda Wankel engines with good results, too.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by donat View Post
    for your Frankensteining

Haaahaaaaaa!!! Funny.

You have an Ro80? Original, or Mazda-fied?

How about doing it the proper way. Fitting BX or Xantia struts to a C4. Then it would have the suspension it should have had all along. It is within 50mm the same size as a BX so the rear subframe should be able to fit with a bit of persuasion. Get the modern diesel economy with the good ride.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Fellow Frogger!

Why not buy a vehicle with hydraulic suspension already in place, like Rover, Rolls Royce, BMW etc, the list goes on. Or maybe the latest British front line tank, just the thing for Friday supermarket shopping and it'll save you all that muckin' about and knuckle damage.

You need to be looking at it the other way fit a WRX drivetrain into a GS

Default Ro 80

It's original 65,000 miles but it was rebuilt and refused to start. It was siezed when I got it. I've driven an original, and I'm inclined to put a Renault 30 V6 I happen to have lying around in it.

Default Wrgsx

Quote Originally Posted by d coupe View Post
    I looked. The rex motor etc will fit if one takes the simple expedient of cutting the centers out of the floopans and swapping them over except for the rear roll bar and height corrector... Fuel tank becomes a problem etc. etc. hence the thinking along the lines of fitting BX struts in place of coil spring struts- the hole is already there and the suspension geometry can be preserved.

Default Hydraulic roller

I've got DS why would I need a boring old roller?

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

From Jint Nieman's site:

http://www.citroen-ds-id.com/ds/Land...uspension.html

It appears there was a fair amount of money thrown at this, but the result is pretty impressive. Additional bonus points for the Nissan V6 power.

Also, Jerry Hathaway built the custom trailer for his Bonneville SM using an electric-motored hydraulic pump and a lot of suspension hydraulics.

What you're proposing, Bruce, can be done. The biggest question mark is how good your fabrication skills are.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Quote Originally Posted by d coupe View Post
    A late model, high output BMW motorcycle motor would probably make an interesting GS. Been done to 2CV's.

Thread Information