Xantia wheel height
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Xantia wheel height

I have an early Xantia, like the BX's suspension. On raising the car with the height lever, it rises as is should, but on then placing the car on stands & placing the height lever on lowest level, the wheels do not retract as they do on my later Xantia. Is this normal for early Xantias or have I a problem?

Advertisement

Regards

agd123

JBN

Are you saying that both the rear wheels and the front wheels don't retract? The big difference between the Xantia and the BX is the Xantia has an anti-sink sphere at the rear.

I have a 95 Xantia, but is is a VSX with hydractive suspension. Apart from also having an anti-sink sphere at the rear (near the height corrector), it also has a hydractive sphere centre rear and on the front (below the battery near the radiator). To get the wheels to retract, I need to set the height control lever to low and leave the engine running for quite a while for this to happen.

John

The height lever does not act directly on the height correctors as it does on a BX. Instead it acts via an electric motor, so ignition has to be on to get the message from the lever through to the height correctors.

As this height adjustment system creeps out of calibration, I have found that you sometimes need to prop the car up on stands above the low position to get all the pressure to drain back out of the suspension system, especially at the back.

Ken W

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
    The height lever does not act directly on the height correctors as it does on a BX. Instead it acts via an electric motor, so ignition has to be on to get the message from the lever through to the height correctors.

As this height adjustment system creeps out of calibration, I have found that you sometimes need to prop the car up on stands above the low position to get all the pressure to drain back out of the suspension system, especially at the back.

Ken W
    Early Xantias did not have the anti-sink sphere and sink just like BXs. My 1995 car, non-hydractive, has anti-sink but the height control is a manual link to the correctors, no motors. Mine does tuck up its wheels when on stands and set to low.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information