DS: Lower when parked?
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger! Inspector Clouseau's Avatar

Default DS: Lower when parked?

I expect this will sound like a dumb question to aficionados but, as a new owner, I don't know what the answer is. I raise my car to 3 to put it in the garage. Is it OK to just leave it there once parked or is it best to lower fully? I would have thought lowering would quickly take any pressure off the spheres, but I've been told it doesn't matter. What are the learned opinions of AFers?

Advertisement

Thanks

DS

Why do you raise it to 3?

I just leave them on normal. Putting it to low will only take you longer for it to raise up when you want a drive. Whatever height its on it will only sink to bumps stops over time anyway.
    Citroen Car Club of New South Wales member.

My Citroen ID21F can be seen here http://www.flickr.com/photos/frontdr...7605999522616/

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I quite often do .... It depends where there leaking from at the time. If you have return leaks in the suspension boots/lines, it'll leak less if you drop it down

seeya
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

It doesn't matter what position the car is in when parked.
    Most people simply leave the car in normal height.

The spheres don't need any special treatment from their owner, other than to checke the pressures every couple of years and keep them topped up. Your reward for this will be a continuing superb ride, provided you are using the correct spheres.

Default DS: Lower when parked?

I certainly need to raise my DS a little when driving in to the garage at the top of our reasonably steep drive. Otherwise, the exhaust will scrape at the bracket for the flexible joint when passing over the join with the level garage floor.

Keeping the adjusting handle in the raised position makes sure that I remember to have the car at the right height when driving out next time.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by kenlin View Post
    I certainly need to raise my DS a little when driving in to the garage at the top of our reasonably steep drive. Otherwise, the exhaust will scrape at the bracket for the flexible joint when passing over the join with the level garage floor.

Keeping the adjusting handle in the raised position makes sure that I remember to have the car at the right height when driving out next time.

Cheers
    Perfect logic. I come up a notch to get into the work carpark and leave it there so the height is right when I leave.

Makes not the slightest difference to the spheres, but Shane's point is good! If you release the pressure it won't leak in other places if they are misbehaving.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

At any of the intermediate heights the hydraulic pressure in the front and rear suspension systems depends on the load upon them. Front and rear pressures will be different. If no appreciable additional load is placed in the car (e.g., the boot is not full of bricks), system pressure will not be high. Suspension system pressure is only high if you place the lever on full height and leave it there until the pump cuts out. At that point, the suspension is at full hydraulic system pressure. I prefer not to leave a DS at that pressure. Any hydraulic car, actually. When I am raising the suspension to change a wheel, I generally turn the engine off as soon as the suspension arms have reached the bump stops. That way the pressure in the lines is not much more than normal pressure. My answer to your question is to either leave it on low or one of the intermediate settings, but not on high.

Roger

Fellow Frogger! Inspector Clouseau's Avatar

Thanks all for the advice. I need to put mine up a notch to get it safely over a drain on a roadbase driveway. I think the hydraulics are in good condition as it takes quite a while to sink down once parked - I suppose that's the test ??

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

Default You forgot the cat!

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Clouseau View Post
    Thanks all for the advice. I need to put mine up a notch to get it safely over a drain on a roadbase driveway. I think the hydraulics are in good condition as it takes quite a while to sink down once parked - I suppose that's the test ??
    The D did have a nickname, the Parisian cat killer... I used to park mine low to stop it flattening the stubbourn old yellow cat.

I've also noted that the suspension boots, particularly the rears. last longer if the car is parked on stands. Rounds of firewood under the side jack points and under the towbar if it has one.

The various CX I have which still go are parked on bricks to stop the suspension boots cracking.

Bruce.

Thread Information