Penrite LHM
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 35

Thread: Penrite LHM

  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger! b707's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    ACT Canberra
    Posts
    181

    Default Penrite LHM

    Any body here use the Penrite LHM plus fluid? I mainly use the ELF LHM stuff but the Penrite stuff is easier to get as most Autobarn and a lot of other spare parts places stock Penrite oils.


    According to their website it should be fine.

    Advertisement


    If not I will try see if their is a CCC of NSW member stockist in Newcastle.

    http://www.penriteoil.com.au/product...luids/lhm_plus

  2. #2
    Fellow Frogger! mberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Broom
    Posts
    815

    Default

    the penrite is fine, i used for years without any side effects. The Elf is probably Total, given it's the same company. I believe the Total will be available in retail very soon. Not sure if it will be an exclusive to a single chain or everywhere. I would keep an eye out for it at Autobarn.

  3. #3
    VIP Sponsor David Cavanagh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Romsey, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    4,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by b707 View Post
    Any body here use the Penrite LHM plus fluid? I mainly use the ELF LHM stuff but the Penrite stuff is easier to get as most Autobarn and a lot of other spare parts places stock Penrite oils.


    According to their website it should be fine.

    If not I will try see if their is a CCC of NSW member stockist in Newcastle.

    http://www.penriteoil.com.au/product...luids/lhm_plus
    LHM is what the stuff is. Who makes it isn't important.
    All European oil companies make it but only a few import to Oz.
    We stock Bendix but have stocked ELF, Penrite, Total. Who ever has the best price.
    David Cavanagh

    FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

    03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

    34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042


    [email protected]

    https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

  4. #4
    VIP Sponsor richo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hobart, the other planet
    Posts
    1,445

    Default

    I beg to differ on the brands and qualities.

    Penrite is more viscosity stable at a range of temperatures than the Bendix.
    Penrite doesn't have the same dye strength as the other brands, being closer to a straw colour..

    As yet, I haven't done a full comparison on the Total LHM Plus but suspect it will be similar to the Penrite.

    On a quality basis, the Penrite is excellent.
    Currently I'm using Bendix. Total is next year.

    When driving a BVH equipped car there are components which react to fluid viscosity experienced with variations in operating temperature.

    On a non BVH car I can detect no difference between the brands performance.

  5. #5
    UFO
    UFO is offline
    CitroŽn Tragic UFO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Gerringong, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    9,666

    Default

    There are two CCCNSW members in the Newcastle area who stock LHM for sale to members. Check a "Chevrons" for contact details.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

  6. #6
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by richo View Post
    I beg to differ on the brands and qualities.

    Penrite is more viscosity stable at a range of temperatures than the Bendix.
    Penrite doesn't have the same dye strength as the other brands, being closer to a straw colour..

    As yet, I haven't done a full comparison on the Total LHM Plus but suspect it will be similar to the Penrite.

    On a quality basis, the Penrite is excellent.
    Currently I'm using Bendix. Total is next year.

    When driving a BVH equipped car there are components which react to fluid viscosity experienced with variations in operating temperature.

    On a non BVH car I can detect no difference between the brands performance.
    Fascinating, thanks. I can't imagine picking a difference with the Xantia but your description suggests, as you said, that you might well on a BVH car.
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  7. #7
    1000+ Posts gerry freed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lauderdale, Tasmania
    Posts
    2,884

    Default

    It is sold here in the supermarkets. If you are bored with the shopping pick up a couple of cans and leave them on the salad dressing shelf.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

  8. #8
    1000+ Posts michaelr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post
    It is sold here in the supermarkets. If you are bored with the shopping pick up a couple of cans and leave them on the salad dressing shelf.


    I had a good chuckle at that idea until it dawned on me that you might have actually done it!
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

    DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

  9. #9
    Fellow Frogger! b707's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    ACT Canberra
    Posts
    181

    Default

    excuse my ignorace, what the F%$k is BVH?

  10. #10
    BVH Roger Wilkinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warrnambool
    Posts
    2,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by b707 View Post
    excuse my ignorace, what the F%$k is BVH?
    The only F%$k thing about it is that it is F%$king awesome.

    Boite Vitesse Hydraulique, aka hydraulically controlled gearshift. Available only on DS. The earliest D was available only in BVH. Once you have driven a well setup BVH you will not want to go back to a BVM (manual geat shift).

    Roger

  11. #11
    Fellow Frogger! mberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Broom
    Posts
    815

    Default

    here, here, the bvh is so underated. how many are left out there? not many, I'd say..... 30 maybe? I'm only guessing, but they are becoming rare in Aus. I love getting other D owners to drive mine, they enhance the whole D experience to another level.

  12. #12
    Fellow Frogger! mberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Broom
    Posts
    815

    Default

    p.s. I'm still die...ing to take yours for a spin Roger!

  13. #13
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mberry View Post
    here, here, the bvh is so underated. how many are left out there? not many, I'd say..... 30 maybe? I'm only guessing, but they are becoming rare in Aus. I love getting other D owners to drive mine, they enhance the whole D experience to another level.
    Flicking a BVH car between third and fourth on a windy slightly hilly road is an experience to cherish. As is gliding around town. What a superb system. I still have to pinch myself to think when they were producing it.
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  14. #14
    Member cactus61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    112

    Default

    the change on my bvh has just been further tuned (thanks stuart) and feels perfect and with new michelins on each corner (thanks longstone & aussie frogs); I was in quiet joy driving it again today on a short run, a big part of that was the joy of the bvh system.how many other cars give you such feeling of joy just noodling around? I'd suggest none. but I think you all knew that
    1974 DS23 'Borg'

  15. #15
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cactus61 View Post
    the change on my bvh has just been further tuned (thanks stuart) and feels perfect and with new michelins on each corner (thanks longstone & aussie frogs); I was in quiet joy driving it again today on a short run, a big part of that was the joy of the bvh system.how many other cars give you such feeling of joy just noodling around? I'd suggest none. but I think you all knew that
    We're off to France next week but I'd love to try it again re-adjusted later in the year. I suspect September might work - busy year. I'm just in awe of BVH cars. What an amazing system.
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  16. #16
    1000+ Posts Wildebeest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Perth Western Australia
    Posts
    2,672

    Default Penrite...

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    We're off to France next week but I'd love to try it again re-adjusted later in the year. I suspect September might work - busy year. I'm just in awe of BVH cars. What an amazing system.
    Johnno, off to La Belle eh. Going to Francois "Ollondes" inauguration?
    Bugger, too late to give you my shopping list.

  17. #17
    1000+ Posts gerry freed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lauderdale, Tasmania
    Posts
    2,884

    Default

    D.D once described that hiss and click as it goes into gear as the soul of CitroŽn. I agree.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

  18. #18
    BVH Roger Wilkinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warrnambool
    Posts
    2,300

    Default

    I listen for the slight whistle as it goes into gear.

    Roger

  19. #19
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Wagga Wagga
    Posts
    342

    Default

    The only clicking my D has ever made is the click from the flat spots in the ball bearings in the rear suspension rods. It hisses all the time though (4 speed manual) when settling at rest.
    Back to LHM. I have just bought a 20 litre drum of Penrite LHM plus, cost $480 incl. freight through Bursons.
    As for LHM quality, living in rural NSW I use any brand LHM I can get. Have never been disappointed, but then ignorance is bliss.

  20. #20
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    16,326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moulton2speed View Post
    The only clicking my D has ever made is the click from the flat spots in the ball bearings in the rear suspension rods. It hisses all the time though (4 speed manual) when settling at rest.
    Back to LHM. I have just bought a 20 litre drum of Penrite LHM plus, cost $480 incl. freight through Bursons.
    As for LHM quality, living in rural NSW I use any brand LHM I can get. Have never been disappointed, but then ignorance is bliss.


    It's $13 a litre through the CCCV. I also suggest trying EAI in melbourne if ever travel to Melbourne.

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  21. #21
    VIP Sponsor David Cavanagh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Romsey, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    4,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by b707 View Post
    excuse my ignorace, what the F%$k is BVH?
    I didn't know either but I wasn't game to ask, we always refered to them as hydraulic shift.

    I just got another box of LHM and this time its Ferodo brand Never heard of it

    Has a Federal Mogul logo on it so must be part of them.?

    The bottle just says Ferodo LHM+ mineral hydralic fluid for Citroen vehicles.
    David Cavanagh

    FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

    03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

    34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042


    [email protected]

    https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

  22. #22
    1000+ Posts gerrypro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Camperdown 3260 Australia
    Posts
    3,023

    Default

    BVH Stands for Boite de Vitesse Hydraulique ( I think I have spelled it correctly?????)
    It means literally 'Hydraulic Box of Speeds' or in English:- hydraulically operated gearbox.
    Cheers Gerry

  23. #23
    Fellow Frogger! b707's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    ACT Canberra
    Posts
    181

    Default

    Never driven a BVH car probably never will. Is the closest modern day interpretation the VW groups DSG (Yes I know its a dual clutch system) automated manual box. Hopefully the BVH systems come with reliability included.

  24. #24
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    16,326

    Default

    the closest modern thing is the EGS gearbox use by citroen, it's electro-mechanical though. Not hydraulic.

    You can only get it with crashy, thumpy, shuddering suspension though.

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  25. #25
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Symar/ca/usa
    Posts
    607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    the closest modern thing is the EGS gearbox use by citroen, it's electro-mechanical though. Not hydraulic.

    You can only get it with crashy, thumpy, shuddering suspension though.

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    Actually the closest current system to the BVH is that used on current Fiats/Alfas/Ferraris. Made by Magneti Marelli and is called the "Selespeed" system. Uses a electric hydraulic pump and hydraulic fluid to shift/control a manual clutch and normal gearbox controlled via computer. Has an accumulator and runs at a pressure of around 50 bar.

    Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •