Chinese AL4
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Chinese AL4

Fellow Frogger!

Default Chinese AL4

Re the thread posted some time ago about the Chinese AL4 rebuilt gearboxes. Does anybody know about this. Did the member go ahead with it?. A quoted price yesterday of $1500 is cheap, but what are the pitfalls re customs etc, and how much did it eventually cost landed on Aussie soil.
    Anyone gone down this road?. Anthony.

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

More update, I know the word Chinese makes everyone shudder, it does me. But if they can reco a box and then retail it for $1500, and give 12mths warranty what hell are our trannie shops doing, apart from ripping us off. Sea freight is $200 by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by shanadoo View Post
    But if they can reco a box and then retail it for $1500, and give 12mths warranty what hell are our trannie shops doing, apart from ripping us off. Sea freight is $200 by the way.
    find out how many hours it takes to remove, refresh and then reinstall a gearbox, multiply it by roughly $100 per hour plus the cost of parts, and then decide if our local rebuilders are ripping anyone off.

I can have a few dents removed from my (japanese pro model) trumpet for $200, or I can buy a new POS trumpet ex china for $150.
    On paper, the chinese offering looks attractive by comparison, but the reality is something completely different.

Jo

That is why dead gearbox is car scrapping time here .
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post
    I agree. Seen a couple of C5 going cheap with doggy gearboxes lately, maybe there's something to be said for buying locally made, plenty of good s/h parts available. Reconditioning a gearbox or anything here seems to cost almost twice the price of doing the same job in many overseas countries. Could be our high labor rate or hot sun. Plus there are those owners who've had the same gearbox overhauled, and overhauled and, well you get the picture and it's not solely related to French stuff. As my previous boss would say to those eager young mechanics "know your product, and get it right the first time, if it requires a second time, you won't be workin' here. Good policy.
    But still China raises questions, it's a long way to claim warranty. Like to find someone who's bought a China box. Or maybe I should just forget the "hole" damn exersize and leave it on the side of the road.

I think you should send a PM to Peter Boyd from Mapleton. I know he was getting a local automatic mechanic to recon an AL4 using a spares kit sourced from China.

Cheers,

Ken W

JBN

Tke caution before you embark on this venture. I have heard that the mechanic's name is Dim Sim and the guy that gives the lifetime warranty is called Mr Hu.

John

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
    I think you should send a PM to Peter Boyd from Mapleton. I know he was getting a local automatic mechanic to recon an AL4 using a spares kit sourced from China.

Cheers,

Ken W
    Thanks Ken, I didn't know Peter was the guy rebuilding the Al4, only knew it was happening up the coast. I'll contact him. Many thanks, Anthony.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    Tke caution before you embark on this venture. I have heard that the mechanic's name is Dim Sim and the guy that gives the lifetime warranty is called Mr Hu.

John
    Ho Ho Hu you may well be right.

Tadpole

Default Al4 woes...first gear slipping

Hi Guys,

Did you end up importing the Chinese Al4? cheers.

Default Al4

Hey Anthony,

I haven't got a complete chinese AL4 gearbox but got hold of a valve body from Alibaba.com last year. The pressure reg was clagged in mine which was causing the trans to thump when leaving traffic lights etc so I decided to replace the complete valve body which has the pressure regulator in it.
    It seems to be working fine and have not noticed anything unusual about it in driving conditions. It made the trans very smooth again.
    It cost $450 delivered to my door from memory.

I wasn't aware a complete transmission was available and would like to know how good they are.
    Most transmission places will charge anywhere from $1,500-$3000 for a complete rebuild.

Fellow Frogger

China is a very large market for PSA, so you will probably find half the bits in PSA packets come from there anyway. A valve block is easy to post, but a whole gearbox is another matter. Finding a local agent for a decent Chinese rebuilder would be the best way to approach it if need be. If you are not doing the R&R work yourself, I wouldn't consider it because the R&R labour is expensive and you will pay to R&R any failed transmission you buy in, making it a potentially false saving.

Depends if the Chinese made Citroen/Peugeot products are "assembled" via CKD or actually "manufactured" in China...

Worth an avenue of investigation...
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

If it came down to trying out a 1500 unit or scrapping a car because a local one is 5000 I'm sure some would consider it worth a shot.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    find out how many hours it takes to remove, refresh and then reinstall a gearbox, multiply it by roughly $100 per hour plus the cost of parts, and then decide if our local rebuilders are ripping anyone off.

I can have a few dents removed from my (japanese pro model) trumpet for $200, or I can buy a new POS trumpet ex china for $150.
    On paper, the chinese offering looks attractive by comparison, but the reality is something completely different.

Jo
    Therein lies the problem, with our greed of charging 100 bucks an hour and taking far too long to do the job as well. We are the first to complain about the high cost of labour but are the first to run of on a strike because a union promised 50 cents extra in our pay after they held a Aussie owned company to ransom then the workers bleat when it shuts down and heads of to China which the unions secretly wanted in the first place as they are actually working for the international banksters who want to own the world plus 10%.

Fellow Frogger!

The parts are made under licence to supply the french owned plant that's building them in China, You will also find that all major manufactures around the world are getting their parts made in China.

Tadpole

Sorry guys, I should have supplied more information.

The AL4 boxes are rebuilt by Ningbo Sanboo.

http://www.sanboo-transmission.com/p...ly-780131.html

$1350 plus 200 sea freight- Jack Weng claims 18-20 days shipping.

I have asked for more details about the parts used in the rebuild and if they have any Aussie references they can supply. He has already supplied conflicting info about the warranty. On the web page they claim 12 months/30K but in his email to me he specifies a warranty of only 6mths/10K.

He claims it is a simple swap- no need to re-program the ECU. Any thoughts on this?

If you have the 100Hz solenoid drivers in your current firmware, then you're good to go.

A "warranty" in this case, hearkens to Samuel Goldwyn: A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on. You would be unlikely to send it back!

Tadpole

I forgot to add that my box is now slipping in 1st gear (first gear). I bought the car new and the box has been a dud from the start. Had the solenoids replaced by Peugeot last year and now this! All other gears are still okay so we are currently driving in "manual"- starting off in 2nd. Not good.

Had two quotes from local guys so far and both want $4-5K to overhaul the box completely- neither wanting to just fix 1st gear alone. "To many comebacks mate..."

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Brissiebill View Post
    Hi Guys,

Did you end up importing the Chinese Al4? cheers.
    Nah didn't wan't to spend the money. Bought friction & seal kit [ex china, genuine PSA made in Germany]
    and a gasket from Citroen dealer. Surprise Surprise, only place here who had one $24. Don't know what the China man uses, he couldn't supply one. Drove well after but now dropped it's bum electrical wise. Big Mystery so far.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Brissiebill View Post
    I forgot to add that my box is now slipping in 1st gear (first gear). I bought the car new and the box has been a dud from the start. Had the solenoids replaced by Peugeot last year and now this! All other gears are still okay so we are currently driving in "manual"- starting off in 2nd. Not good.

Had two quotes from local guys so far and both want $4-5K to overhaul the box completely- neither wanting to just fix 1st gear alone. "To many comebacks mate..."
    Yeh been there, what a bummer. But you can take the back off the box and replace just the E1 clutch, and do the E2 while you're there. That saves pulling the box out and you only need to lower the motor slighty. I reckon a days work would fix it. But I would do that before the filter becomes contaminated, box out and strip to replace that. Buy E1 + E2 friction plates + E1 piston and use the old gasket.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post
    Oh how wise. If only wreckers prices here would allow us to do that without having a complete physical breakdown.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by CUB_075 View Post
    Hey Anthony,

I haven't got a complete chinese AL4 gearbox but got hold of a valve body from Alibaba.com last year. The pressure reg was clagged in mine which was causing the trans to thump when leaving traffic lights etc so I decided to replace the complete valve body which has the pressure regulator in it.
    It seems to be working fine and have not noticed anything unusual about it in driving conditions. It made the trans very smooth again.
    It cost $450 delivered to my door from memory.

I wasn't aware a complete transmission was available and would like to know how good they are.
    Most transmission places will charge anywhere from $1,500-$3000 for a complete rebuild.
    Hey good price, did it come with all the solenoids? I know some sell them complete.

Tadpole

Thanks Shanadoo. How come both of the tranny guys insisted on complete overhauls?

Some more info from Sandoo:

"really sorry, the guarantee is 1 years or 30000 kilometers .
    the ECU you mean the computer board? it do not included.
    we replace the valve body, repair kit, piston, friction plate, oil filter and so on."

Fellow Frogger

Do you also get a conveter? If so, make sure it's the right one for your model.

You can pull the E1/E2 clutch packs / shaft out of the gearbox, but it may be a fiddle getting it back in as I recall. If you are gong in there, make sure you find out how to select the correct end plate for the larger of the two friction packs - there are different thickneses to set the clearance.

The fit of the bush for the shaft in the end plate is supposedly a factor in bad 1-2 shifts, so you might want to check that. There is an improved (claimed!) aftermarket bush from a US company called Sonnax and a couple of years ago their website had some good information under the term DPO. Similarly, the fit of the converter into the pump bush was another possible weakness.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information