Fuel filter blocking? Check your tank!
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Fuel filter blocking? Check your tank!

I report this experience in the hope that it may help someone.

Advertisement

2007 C5 Hdi 2.2TT, 125,000km. Premature blockage of fuel filter at 75,000km i.e. filter 35,000km old. Since then changed every 20,000km.

Recently the fuel filter, only a few thousand km old, appeared to be blocking again. (Beep - speed management system faulty - depollution system faulty). To Citroen agent, error code showed low fuel pressure, same as previous time.

Fuel sample from tank showed a lot of suspended matter. Further investigation showed the tank had heaps of gunk adhering to the sides and bottom.

The Citroen mechanic tells me it is the result of a reaction between Australia's poor quality diesel and the Eolys additive. Not the first time he has seen it. If this is indeed so, there must be a few PSA Hdi's of this vintage and mileage out there heading for similar problems.

The tank was removed and cleaned, lines cleaned, and fuel filter replaced. Seemed OK, and presumably will be until time allows more gunk to accumulate.

Now, I am not a very mechanically minded person, and the above is as it was told to me, and I really cannot add much to this. I have noted comments about fuel filters blocking on this forum, and wonder if they have the start of similar troubles.

It will not surprise you to know that Citroen Australia declined any goodwill contribution.

Regards, Lukewarm.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

THe C4 here did the same thing at 16,000kms from new... They replaced the injection pump, injectors and a few other things..... Before the changed the fuel filter fixing it. Gee's I wish we could have the parts they'd removed. They have to be worth a fortune!

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

There are (or certainly were pre crash) a number of threads in the Peugeot forum on this subject. I have no direct knowledge on your vehicle, but as I recall in Peugeots the eolys fluid is injected into the tank when you replace the filler cap (it has magnets in it to trigger the sensor. If you do a lot of partial fills, excess fluid may be injected.

It's getting more popular, Ford, Volvo and even Kia are using the stuff. Wonder how it compares to the AdBlue the trucks use?
    206 GTi 2003
    VW Golf 118TSI 2009 ( the wife's)
    Bedford CF 1980
    Valiant VJ Ranger 1974
    "Driving a 206GTi makes you feel like you're 18" Jeremy Clarkson

Thread Information