DS Lights acting weird !!
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Icon9 DS Lights acting weird !!

Hi I recently had the front wing off my DS to carry out some repairs,... I have just put the wing back on and connected all the wiring as per the colors on each one etc.. however my high beam will only work on one side and when the high beams are switched on the brake wear pad lights up on the dash !! any suggestions as to WTF is going on ? http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/confused.gif

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by darrenhendley View Post
    Hi I recently had the front wing off my DS to carry out some repairs,... I have just put the wing back on and connected all the wiring as per the colors on each one etc.. however my high beam will only work on one side and when the high beams are switched on the brake wear pad lights up on the dash !! any suggestions as to WTF is going on ? http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/confused.gif
    Darren,

You have some wires crossed - the brake wear circuit is a ground connection. The problem with trying to use those color codes is that after 40 odd years of engine heat they are no longer the right colors. If the car still has the OEM loom in it, the wires are also length matched at the connection point. IOW the shortest connection on say the main loom will mate up with the longest connection in the fender (wing) loom. If all else fails then you will have to trace each individual wire with a VOM.

It quite advisable to number code those connections prior to disconnecting them.

Steve

UFO

Wot he said. you've literally got crossed wires.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Icon3

Yes, as above, you have a crossed wire or two...

I just replaced the connectors on the right hand guard for the very same reason, have a look here for more information. I have marked the colours on the circuit diagram for reference.

GreenBlood’s D(very)Special Rejuvenation 2009>

The diagram for the left hand guard the one you will have removed is here.

The list of 'numbered' associated parts is here. you are looking at 5,6,7,8,9,14

Once you have corrected the conections, an easy way to avoid the problem in the future is to use a permanent marker and using a dot system mark corresponding connections 1 dot/ 2 dots/ 3 dots etc.

Good luck, Steve's tip regrading the lengths of the wires at the bulkhead is a good one, gives you a second guess

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS Lights acting weird !!-lh_guard_circuit.jpg   DS Lights acting weird !!-electric_part_numbers.jpg  
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I thought everyone hooked them up by trial and error like me .... ie: turn the parkers on.... Find which one is hot car side, then hook a wire on in turn until you find the parker glows....

so if the indicator glows ... next wire, high beam ... next wire, low beam ... next wire ...... .... "Now that wire is the bloody horn" you think to yourself as you rub the back of your head where it bashed into the bonnet .... etc....

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    I thought everyone hooked them up by trial and error like me .... ie: turn the parkers on.... Find which one is hot car side, then hook a wire on in turn until you find the parker glows....

so if the indicator glows ... next wire, high beam ... next wire, low beam ... next wire ...... .... "Now that wire is the bloody horn" you think to yourself as you rub the back of your head where it bashed into the bonnet .... etc....

seeya,
    Shane L.

Did it that way a couple of times and then decided 'the hell with it' . Went to the local hardware store and got a booklet of adhesive numbers used by electricians to label wires. Carefully cleaned the outside of the connector sleeves with solvent and then applied like numbers to either end of the connections. That was 30 years and a number of different cars ago.

OTOH I just recently had a custom wire loom make up by Bill Heacox of our club (CCC - in the US) and he installed Molex connectors going from the main loom to the fenders (wings). Makes disconnecting/reconnecting a 10 second affair

Steve

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Citroenfan View Post
    OTOH I just recently had a custom wire loom make up by Bill Heacox of our club (CCC - in the US) and he installed Molex connectors going from the main loom to the fenders (wings). Makes disconnecting/reconnecting a 10 second affair

Steve
    Careful, Steve. Saying that name 3 times in succession is like summoning Betelgeuse.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Put the flame suit on once you suggest connector blocks as a replacement.

That being said, I decided early on in my ownership of Moby that fiddling around with those stupid and poorly designed little sausages was time wasted out of my life. After the second time I fiddled around in the dark trying to resurrect the headlight only to find the connectors were tarnished so much they didn't conduct, my decision was made.

My car has multi-way connectors on each side and the wiring inside the guards is modified to my own specifications. (Relays, connectors and additional facilities for Super Oscars etc. All in a water resistant {Tupperware} enclosure)

And to those who defend M. Citroen's way of doing it, I say Pah! (But in a nice way!)

My wiring is neat, easily disconnected (and re-connected) and reliable. Three things that the factory didn't consider all that important I suspect.

Coping with the shortcomings of the factory wiring design is supposed to be character building. At my age I consider my character is already as built as it's going to be so anything else is just gilding the lily!

End of rant. Is it time for my medication yet?

Cheers, Pottsy.

Note: the above is intended as a non confrontational statement and is not intended in any way to precipitate argument, heated discussion or angst. In other words, please don't yell at me!
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") On the road! (Woohoo!)
    1957 Slough 2CV ("Alphonse") Waiting in the wings
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Also waiting in the wings
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

What Pottsy said!
    Unless you want full concours standard replace as required and upgrade as necessary. Relays are a God send for proper lighting, electric fans and after market fuel pumps. New high quality wire also removes (prevents) dents in the shed wall from flying spanners caused by voltage drop through rotted wire and connectors.
    Use tags/numbers/bits of string on the loom if it helps. I do and I help re-wire trains, and there French!
    Brendan

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by pottsy View Post
    Put the flame suit on once you suggest connector blocks as a replacement.
    Cheers, Pottsy.

Note: the above is intended as a non confrontational statement and is not intended in any way to precipitate argument, heated discussion or angst. In other words, please don't yell at me!

I totally applaud you and your car Ray, you are driving yours whilst mine has been off he road for 3 years - and when I say driving I mean you've been having a ball competing in various motor sport events etc. You take that flame proof suit off and relax

I've become a little obsessed fussing and fixing mostly through frustration waiting for weather conditions to allow me to get on with the body work on my car, the sort of work that I wouldn't do if the car were on the road.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Tadpole

great thanks all !
    I will get back to trying to solve the problem this weekend
    thanks for the wiring diagram steve I also think as Pottsy mentioned it may be something to do with the actual connections not conducting properly ???

Cheers

Fellow Frogger!

great thanks all !
    I will get back to trying to solve the problem this weekend
    thanks for the wiring diagram steve I also think as Pottsy mentioned it may be something to do with the actual connections not conducting properly ???

Cheers
    Hi Darren,

It was Chris who supplied the electrical diagram - not me. I would have just pointed you in the direction of 814 V1 .

You problem is not doggy wiring - at least not yet....... The real problem is that over time a lot of the colors used to code the wire ends sort of morph into one no-name color. Your best bet, right now, is to use the length code to sort out the proper wires. Absent of that is to use a VOM so that you can tag the wires in the main loom for lights (dipped and normal), horn. indicators, etc.

Anyone who know me is well aware that I am not even close to an being interested in preserving 40 to 50 yo wiring technology. I have two D's - my 72 DS21 Pallas BVH and a 69 wagon (Safari). The 72 is my daily driver - when I am not riding either of my 40+ yo racing bicycles. And while I still marvel at the overall design and technology of the D series, I have extensively modified and upgraded those parts/systems of my car(s) that were prone to failure. I try to maintain them in such a state that going on a 6,000 mile trip with nothing more than an oil change being needed.

OTOH one can look at the original wiring harness as a character building.......... Another way of looking at it is that the original systems were really good for about 10 years. Sort of the expected life of cars in those days. It is only us 'nut cases' that are still using them as everyday transportation some 30 or more years after they were suppose to be replaced.

One note - on your fender (wing) loom. There are two ground leads at the head lamp end of the loom. One is for the lighting circuits - the other is for the brake warning system.

Steve

Tadpole

Tried all of the above and managed to figure out were the correct wires go,...but now I have another
    Problem ! The lights now work but are duller than the right hand side ? It's like they are only half as bright as the other side ? The also take a slight bit longer to come on it's probably only about a few milliseconds but still slower than the other side ?

Icon3

Tried all of the above and managed to figure out were the correct wires go,...but now I have another
    Problem ! The lights now work but are duller than the right hand side ? It's like they are only half as bright as the other side ? The also take a slight bit longer to come on it's probably only about a few milliseconds but still slower than the other side ?
    Sounds like a bad earth/ground - the wire from the harness that crosses from the guard to the front chassis? Try cleaning the connectors. That's my best guess

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Thread Information