The Dog Ate My Car!
  • Register
  • Help

Default The Dog Ate My Car!

This is what remains of the identification plate of my DS23. It's the combined result of corrosion and the unwanted attention of an energetic standard poodle puppy who was learning what was good to eat and what was not by chewing on everything.
    I heard that there was at one time a fellow in Tasmania (not you, Richo) who could re-create such plates, but that is all the information I have. This one wouldn't pass muster at Vicroads and the problem must have come up before. Does anyone have any ideas?

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Dog Ate My Car!-rimg0395.jpg  
    2006 C5 2.0 HDI estate - daily driver
    1981 2CV - The Amelie project is complete.
    1930 C6F torpedo - My Great Folly! Project under way.

Strewth John, that's one cabbaged ADR plate.
    Perhaps under thecircumstances you might be able to score a replacement from the authorites, or at least a dispensation.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

That' one should pass, the main thing is the number that matches the cars VIN is there. Was there a rust hole under it on the skuttle ?

seeya
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Not sure about Victoria, but the plate is not required for rego in NSW. ( previous rego papers showing the chassis number are a big help in this)

How did the dog manage to chew on the plate if it's pop rivited on all four corners and positioned way up on the top of the scuttle ?. that's one seriously strange dog,no offence intended. Like shane said,as long as the appropriate VIN are still visible ,should have no problems with VicRoads Joe
    1975 Citroen DS 23 Pallas

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Amopallas View Post
    How did the dog manage to chew on the plate if it's pop rivited on all four corners and positioned way up on the top of the scuttle ?. that's one seriously strange dog,no offence intended. Like shane said,as long as the appropriate VIN are still visible ,should have no problems with VicRoads Joe
    You obviously dont know standard poodles! they are seriously inventive when they want to get at something, you should see ours when the ball goes under the ID when the suspension is down, lying on her side with the paws as far as possible under the car and kicking. But dont worry John they do settle down a bit when they are over 2!

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Not trying to sound flip about your problem, but have you asked a custom-car or a streetrod builder? It seems they would have to go through the process of plating their one-off creations, surely they would have an idea of who to talk to. I don't know jack-all about VIN plates for you guys, but it seems you have the all-important VIN still clearly visible, along with the paperwork tying it to the car. I can't think the problem would be insurmountable. Hell, it may be as easy as being simply told to use what you have, and you've provided a laugh to your DMV.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Quote Originally Posted by John P View Post
    This is what remains of the identification plate of my DS23. It's the combined result of corrosion and the unwanted attention of an energetic standard poodle puppy who was learning what was good to eat and what was not by chewing on everything.
    I heard that there was at one time a fellow in Tasmania (not you, Richo) who could re-create such plates, but that is all the information I have. This one wouldn't pass muster at Vicroads and the problem must have come up before. Does anyone have any ideas?
    There's a place just down the road from us here in King St Airport West that make them. They do mainly private imports. There's no signs out the front, I think they work for Vicroads, if you tell Vicroads what happened they might send you here.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Thanks for all your responses. Joe, I removed the plate. There were only two rivets left and yes, Shane, there was a hole under it. It's a basket case but I may have a lead on a good hull. The dog will be two by then and just might have calmed down. no sign of it yet. This mangled plate would never adorn a good rod or street machine, HRE, you're right. so there must be a solution. Between that thought and Shane saying the presence of the VIN is all they need, I should take it to Vicroads and ask. Our local branch in Seaford are very helpful. but that will be after the raid.
    Great, David. That's the way ahead.
    Last edited by John P; 8th May 2012 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Dave's post.
    2006 C5 2.0 HDI estate - daily driver
    1981 2CV - The Amelie project is complete.
    1930 C6F torpedo - My Great Folly! Project under way.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

My fathers car has some tiny holes behind the plate too. roof rails aside, it's hull is remarkably good. I wonder if the ocmpliance plates end up removed by people that are chasing water leaks into the dash area

Certainly there must be quite a bit of moisture getting into the dash if the compliance plate has a hole behind it! (they could have chosen a better place to attach these, than where they would be constantly wet and retain moisture between the plate and skuttle).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

One thing is obvious.: Standard poodles have good taste.

/ducks
    /Daffy ducks

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

Default Minature poodles

Quote Originally Posted by daffyduck View Post
    One thing is obvious.: Standard poodles have good taste.

/ducks
    /Daffy ducks
    Does that mean minature poodles have to eat Skodas?

Thread Information