Current shape c5 long term running
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Current shape c5 long term running

I have been wandering for a while about how these cars are going, and I think nearly all wild be hdi models, but I stand to be corrected.

Have people had any of the following:

1. Significant repairs with under 100,000ks
    2. Niggling silly little repairs - my 4 cylinder one that I got new in 2002 had a myriad of these that would have been extremely costly if out of warranty
    3. Economy, and I know these are variables, but how many k's out of Normal running, suburban with some long straight runs each week
    4. Brake pads are supposed to be big consumable with these and need changing with rotors, some have appeared on this board with unhappy owners. Is this accurate. How do rear pads go long term?
    5. Tyre wear, what are they like on tyres that are properly maintained?
    6. Servicing - what is the actual interval, and do Ciroen rip it out of you at service time? I guess that depends wher you buy it from.
    7. Resale - there are several on net at around 30 grand that would be now out of warranty, and people must have approached dealers to get trade in valuations. To be asking say 30 grand, would those people have been offered closer to 20?

I have been considering one for a while and might consider updating the c4 in coming months, but some of the things I have mention turn me off a little, and it would be great to confirm once and for all.

Advertisement

Chris Mortimer

Fellow Frogger

A problem for vendors of used examples is the lower new car prices. Many private vendors would be hoping to get a bit more. You can buy a new C5 from about $35K at present, so that colours the used market. Spend another few thousand and you upgrade from a 1.6 to the 2.0HDi with a 6 speed if you don't mind losing hydraulic suspension, the electric handbrake and some other trim and feature niceties. For a lot of people that model is the perfect move up from a C4 as they don't have to fear some of the complexity of most C5's.

Point 2: Due for 20,000km service and no issues so far.

Point 3: Heavier on fuel than my 406 HDi but then again a heavier car. Last two fills 1884km with on board computer showing 6.0l/100km (my rough est. was 15.?km per litre - over 40mpg) The on-board computer has shown between 5.8 and 6.4l/km over the 20,000km.

Point 3: no issues yet

Point 4: tyres seem to be wearing OK. The again we are not heavy brakers (ie we don't run up to lights or stop signs and slam on the brakes at last minute like so many do)

Our travelling is into and out of town (16km round trip) with a little bit of running in town, each day. Then there are occasional trips to Albany (120km return) and to Perth (900+km) so have done the 20,000 in under 12 months.
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

The annoying thing with Citroen is the reconfiguration of the car under the same configuration name. My 2009 C5 Comfort cost me $53k and was much higher specced than my 2011 C5 Comfort which cost me $44k. That would have hurt the resale of my 2009 car, not that I sold it. Lately I understand there are all sorts of problems with bluetooth. So even if your friend recently bought what you want, it is uncertain that is what you get in the showroom, or if you order one. The devil is in the detail. If I bought another new, I would want in writing precisely what the options are, their connectivity etc etc.

But no wear problems on tyres for me. Rear brake pads under 15,000 wore down on the 2009 car and required machining of the rotors. Fuel economy seemed fine in both cars, especially the newer one. No minor issues at all. Very well built.

No problems at 20,000km Much more power than my 2003 C5. Bluetooth works OK as far as I am aware ( phone connection ). Gearbox good. Economy great on a run, 6,2km/ l. Very well made. Had an incident on a fast run on a country road (well graded gravel). Got too confident at 110k and came over a rise to confront a bend that was loose pebbly gravel, eased off and immediately the car corrected itself ( leaving me weak at the knees). My wife can still read or use the computer without complaining on a drive. Nice car. Good value. Allan.

TRT

Quote Originally Posted by qmusic View Post

1. Significant repairs with under 100,000ks
    Nothing so far.
    2. Niggling silly little repairs - my 4 cylinder one that I got new in 2002 had a myriad of these that would have been extremely costly if out of warranty
    Agree, and a bigger problem is getting dealer to fix them.
    3. Economy, and I know these are variables, but how many k's out of Normal running, suburban with some long straight runs each week
    First 25,000 km averaged 6.8l/100k. But my C5 is 2.2 litre which has official combined cycle of 5.9l/100k. I think the single turbo version has 6.9? Others may be able to comment on that. I get 6l/100k on trips.
    4. Brake pads are supposed to be big consumable with these and need changing with rotors, some have appeared on this board with unhappy owners. Is this accurate. How do rear pads go long term?
    Mine seems OK, but I'm a soft driver as far as brakes are concerned.
    5. Tyre wear, what are they like on tyres that are properly maintained?
    Seems fine so far. I also have a 2005 C4 and got 70,000 k out of those tyres. Hopefully something similar out of these?
    6. Servicing - what is the actual interval, and do Ciroen rip it out of you at service time? I guess that depends wher you buy it from.
    I get service every 10K, and yes they do rip you off. Once out of lease, I will switch servicing to local garage. 10k oil changes are about right, but local dealer charges an extra $400 to 'check' tyre pressures, fluid levels, etc.
    7. Resale - there are several on net at around 30 grand that would be now out of warranty, and people must have approached dealers to get trade in valuations. To be asking say 30 grand, would those people have been offered closer to 20?
    I haven't considered this. Am looking at keeping for 5 years.

I have been considering one for a while and might consider updating the c4 in coming months, but some of the things I have mention turn me off a little, and it would be great to confirm once and for all.

Chris Mortimer
    I'd not recommend a C5 unless you intend keeping for some time. All Europeans have a limited market for resale, and Citroen is probably an extreme example of this. I would expect a dealer to try and give you $25k for a 2-year old and sell it for $35k. Which is same as most European cars of similar price.

My C5 is 12 months old with 28,000 Km on the clock. But its the 2.2 litre twin turbo which I understand is rare in Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Tristesse View Post
    Lately I understand there are all sorts of problems with bluetooth.
    True, in that they come without Bluetooth.
    The recommended after-market device is a Parrot - there's some info on Citroen UK site.
    One issue is the lack of info up front about what is included in the car as standard, and the owner's manual is inaccurate too.
    The satnav models also come without a USB connection.
    My dealer installed one for me, which works with thumb drives but so far I've been unsuccessful getting an iphone/ipod connection to happen.

Fellow Frogger!

Default C5

Thanks folks, and that has been really helpful.

It would be good to hear from some folks with cars of even higher milages.

I have owned two, a four and a six.

The four was essentially good, but had lots and lots of teething problems soughted out under warranty. The six was a catastrophe and cost me mega bucks.

It is interesting to hear about Bluetooth, and that is one thing you could not go without once you have had it. I reckon it should be standard in all cars, especially since most people have phones and iPods.

The depreciation is a factor I would like to know more about, because if I were to buy, there would be a lease and a residual, and I fear that after three years, the payout may be considerably more than the value of the car, especially if it had done about 100,000ks.

The brake pad issue is still a grey area, and one of the reasons I didn't buy a C5 this time around. The car I purchased has just needed brake maintenance for the first time, and that is pads on four corners at 60,000ks. I suspect on C5 with those k's, you would have gone through a couple sets of pads and rotors, but am guessing.

The service intervals on diesel, aren't they 15000 k services for c5?

Glad to hear that quality has been greatly improved, and small costly things seem not to be occurring for people.

Chris M

TRT

It is interesting to hear about Bluetooth, and that is one thing you could not go without once you have had it. I reckon it should be standard in all cars, especially since most people have phones and iPods.
    My C5 Exclusive has USB & bluetooth standard, but no satnav. They seem to change the specs a bit between cars. Agree it's one of those things that you can't do without once you've had it.

The depreciation is a factor I would like to know more about, because if I were to buy, there would be a lease and a residual, and I fear that after three years, the payout may be considerably more than the value of the car, especially if it had done about 100,000ks.
    I did the figures on a 2 year lease and they came out OK, but that was before the recent 20% reduction in new car prices.

Citroen Australia have now set 10K service intervals because Australia is classed as arduous driving conditions. If it was just a service that would be OK, but I was charged over $500 by dealer for my standard 20K service (basically nothing more than an oil and filter change) a few weeks ago. I think that alone is a good reason not to buy a Citroen.

Fellow Frogger!

Citroen Australia have now set 10K service intervals because Australia is classed as arduous driving conditions. If it was just a service that would be OK, but I was charged over $500 by dealer for my standard 20K service (basically nothing more than an oil and filter change) a few weeks ago. I think that alone is a good reason not to buy a Citroen.

I wonder if Audi, BMW, Benz, Lexus dealers et al do things any different ?

Sceptically, Richard

Folks,

My C5 Comfort Tourer came from one of the early shipments. It had a few recalls and a new engine fusebox fitted under warranty but no other problems since. Rear brakepad wear was poor for the first set of pads but fronts lasted 50kkm. Discs still looking good. Front tyres would also have been good for 50kkm except that one developed a bulge just before it was really worn out. Rears will go 70kkm I reckon.

With advice on how turbos like clean oil, I would think a 10kkm oil change would be a good idea but mine has only been serviced about every 17kkm at the start.

No other problems to report except for an appetite for fuel filters. I always get a quote for a service from the Citroen dealer first before I book it in. This helps to minimise the surprise I got after they changed the rear brake pads. I have also started supplying parts for them to use as well.

I do bluetooth with a Blueant and burn mp3s to a CD for music.

Cheers,

Ken W

My C5 comfort sedan is 2.0hdi and was delivered new to me in November 2009 - warranty expires in 6 months or so. It is a 2008 build and has a lot of the Exclusive features - full leather seats with heating, massage etc., side and rear blinds, .... and the wonderful "reversing" wing mirrors (possibly my most used "toy" on the car). Just ticked over 40,000km.
    It has not been an easy road with the first problem, a faulty relay, bringing the car to a full stop in the first few months. Replacement fuse box fitted the following day. It is currently at the dealership (day 5 today) awaiting Frances go ahead to replace yet more parts in relation to the auto selector having trouble coming out of Park (sometimes sticks for up to a minute) having so far replaced the "brake switch" and secondly "relays" - I think "solenoid" is next on the list. They have also just ordered a new steering rack from France on instruction from Citroen - the "bulletin" fix (parts came from France for that too!) was tried a few weeks ago but lasted 4 days before a steering shudder returned. What else..... oh, yes, the "multi-function" display (speedo etc.) was replaced due to menu issues. I have now had the running light bulbs replaced, 1 at a time, at a price for each bulb of $140 plus labour. (Mental note to self to turn that "safety feature" off). The service guy actually thinks the car needs a new "body computer" based on some of the electronic glitches it has had but France won't come at that so we are going one step at a time (the costly way - glad I am not footing the bill!).
    Brakes.... rears at 28,000, front at 29,000 (only because they noticed the fronts while it was in for the rears and it took almost 1,000km before the parts arrived - no, I didn't drive to Sydney to get them!)
    Tyres.... original Michelins lasted a tad over 30,000km and had been rotated efficiently so they all wore out together, except for one that suffered in the early days from being on the front left and from new was scrubbing the outside edge very badly. After a rotate and front wheel alignment (at my expense) that tyre lasted out its life at the rear.
    Fuel consumption... most of my running is inner metro and suburb, very short stop start, with an occasional longer run thrown in for a bit of fun. Generally under stop start suburban I am looking at between 9 and 10 l/100. Throw in some longer runs (10km or so in suburbs and near areas, hils etc.) and we do between 8 and 9. Highway running at or slightly above speed limit varies from best of 5 to about 6.5 dependant on bodies in the car, luggage, overtaking, air temp etc.

Having said all that, I am in love with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Pak Mungkin View Post
    My C5 comfort sedan is 2.0hdi and was delivered new to me in November 2009 - warranty expires in 6 months or so. It is a 2008 build and has a lot of the Exclusive features - full leather seats with heating, massage etc., side and rear blinds, .... and the wonderful "reversing" wing mirrors (possibly my most used "toy" on the car). Just ticked over 40,000km.
    It has not been an easy road with the first problem, a faulty relay, bringing the car to a full stop in the first few months. Replacement fuse box fitted the following day. It is currently at the dealership (day 5 today) awaiting Frances go ahead to replace yet more parts in relation to the auto selector having trouble coming out of Park (sometimes sticks for up to a minute) having so far replaced the "brake switch" and secondly "relays" - I think "solenoid" is next on the list. They have also just ordered a new steering rack from France on instruction from Citroen - the "bulletin" fix (parts came from France for that too!) was tried a few weeks ago but lasted 4 days before a steering shudder returned. What else..... oh, yes, the "multi-function" display (speedo etc.) was replaced due to menu issues. I have now had the running light bulbs replaced, 1 at a time, at a price for each bulb of $140 plus labour. (Mental note to self to turn that "safety feature" off). The service guy actually thinks the car needs a new "body computer" based on some of the electronic glitches it has had but France won't come at that so we are going one step at a time (the costly way - glad I am not footing the bill!).
    Brakes.... rears at 28,000, front at 29,000 (only because they noticed the fronts while it was in for the rears and it took almost 1,000km before the parts arrived - no, I didn't drive to Sydney to get them!)
    Tyres.... original Michelins lasted a tad over 30,000km and had been rotated efficiently so they all wore out together, except for one that suffered in the early days from being on the front left and from new was scrubbing the outside edge very badly. After a rotate and front wheel alignment (at my expense) that tyre lasted out its life at the rear.
    Fuel consumption... most of my running is inner metro and suburb, very short stop start, with an occasional longer run thrown in for a bit of fun. Generally under stop start suburban I am looking at between 9 and 10 l/100. Throw in some longer runs (10km or so in suburbs and near areas, hils etc.) and we do between 8 and 9. Highway running at or slightly above speed limit varies from best of 5 to about 6.5 dependant on bodies in the car, luggage, overtaking, air temp etc.

Having said all that, I am in love with it!
    The C5 must impress in so many other ways to make up for its mediocre reliability. I wouldn't be impressed if it was my car in and out of the workshop for repairs.

Would hate to have had to foot the bills if it was out of warranty.

Fellow Frogger!

Default C5

The other concern is that when lots gets fixed or replaced under warranty, the thing loses its "innocence" and gets molested by too many hands.

Yep, they do all the warranty repairs alright, but bits get taken out and put back, and I wonder sometimes if the car is ever really the same. A bit like a bingle in some ways.

Rattles and noises form the the car doesn't really feel the same.

I guess in Pak's case the warranty keeps it as for the moment, and I suspect that it will be ok by the expiry, as mine was. My car had a massive amount of things:
    seatbelts front
    Instrument cluster from a faulty tachometer
    Fuel cap not closing
    Rear boot not shutting and locking, coming undone when being driven
    Window motor
    Door handle
    Hub caps perpetually falling off

That was a 2002 petrol four cylinder car which I have long parted with, but after many warranty claims was ok for some time after warranty ended, and I think the two things after warranty were good old anti pollution and coils I think, and weird messages from computer like unlocked boot when it was firmly locked. McCarrols service said it was computer on its way out, it was then that I traded, and that was with 127,000ks and seven years old.

The V6 is another story

Chris M

Update on my C5 and the transmission getting caught in PARK issue..... France asked them to remove a "transmission control cable" and see if it works then. It apparently does (for now) so in the morning when it has been reported to France and they have instructions here in Adelaide we will find out what needs to be done... I am guessing replacing the faulty "control cable" will be the go. Will keep you all posted.

David
    (Pak Mungkin is my Indonesion travel nick-name!)

Quote Originally Posted by b707 View Post
    The C5 must impress in so many other ways to make up for its mediocre reliability. I wouldn't be impressed if it was my car in and out of the workshop for repairs.
    Would hate to have had to foot the bills if it was out of warranty.
    I think there's a mistaken impression here.
    After 9 glorious years with a Xantia I'm on C5 break no. 3, first two replaced primarily for lease expiry reasons.
    First one was a 2005 facelift model, petrol unfortunately with insufficient grunt to keep my spouse happy.
    Second was diesel, as is current one.
    As well as being great to drive, all have been very reliable, except for one incident with the second one - 2008, current shape.
    That was the widely-reported thing with the car suddenly deciding that it needed to STOP NOW, tell me that something terrible was wrong with it, then limp home. Replacing the fusebox fixed that.
    The 2008 had the rear brake pads replaced quite early as reported above. I gather that the newer ones lasted better.

TRT

Default Interesting . . . .

Have just noticed that next service for the C5 is set at 38,000 km (it had 23,000 when it had the 20K service). So services so far are 10K, 20K, and (nearly) 40K.

TRT

Our C5 had a 20,000km service yesterday. Cost $380.10 (Labour $203.20, oil filter $24.01, oil $80.00 etc)

Note on printout:
    Front Tyres 6mm
    Rear Tyres 7mm
    Front Brakes 11mm
    Rear Brakes 9mm

I'll be mighty peeved it that means they expect service to the brakes next time around (on windscreen sticker as 30,600km) as my first E2200 van went to 320,000km on its original brake pads and my current one is 220,000km and it hasn't required pads or discs.

My 2000 406HDi has never had anything done to the brakes and just this moring I put in the first replacement battery since new. At 160,000km that is OK.
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

Oh, I also forgot the drivers door hinge mechanism that had to be replaced at the 15,000km mark. It was picked up by the service manager when he opened the door, he could tell by a clunking sound that had obviously crept up on me - I hadn't noticed it!

David

Update on the C5 X7 Comfort 2009 (40,000km) - new "gearbox" coming out from France for it, full auto replacement.

David

Update on my C5 and the transmission getting caught in PARK issue..... France asked them to remove a "transmission control cable" and see if it works then. It apparently does (for now) so in the morning when it has been reported to France and they have instructions here in Adelaide we will find out what needs to be done... I am guessing replacing the faulty "control cable" will be the go. Will keep you all posted.

David
    (Pak Mungkin is my Indonesion travel nick-name!)
    I thought Pak Mungkin suggested that! Go there a lot? I'm there fairly regularly - saw an immaculate BX in Jakarta late last year to my complete amazement. Hydraulics???

Anyway, all that I read doesn't exactly encourage me to trade my very reliable Xantia for a C5. Most of those discussed fill me with horror. No doubt there are lots out there behaving themselves. I hope.....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Update on the C5 X7 Comfort 2009 (40,000km) - new "gearbox" coming out from France for it, full auto replacement.

David
    Good grief. What warranty do you get on the new transmission?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger!

Default Got the message......

Thanks all for the replies for long term running reports.

I think I'll remove this car from the list of possibilities.

The brake business is really unimpressive, and those who justify it by saying they are on leases or salary packages etc, whatever you want to call them, all ultimately pay for these things.m

Having to import your own parts from overseas is a pain in the arse, and who wants to do this with a new car?

With a new car, we should be hearing that ALL IS GREAT, not "my car needed all new brakes at 30k", or "my car just had a new transmission at 40k".....wouldn't people agree?

I really hope people at Ateco monitor boards like this and note these issues.

I have looked at the new C4, but what a boring offering compared to the previous model. C3 is also not my cuppa tea.

I looked at fuel consumption figures for C4 HDi in previous shape, but the car is quite thirsty compared to other makes, so might leave that option too.

Chris M

Default tasi c5

Dear qmusic.
    In the last week I have covered approx. 1300km in my latest C5. Its average fuel consumption has been 5.7 l/ 100km.

In this this time it had a service and the wheel alignment checked. No faults found.Cost $400.00.

My mate who bought his C5 at the same time and is coming up to his 30,000km service has had no faults.

Our driving is mainly "country".

My C5's have been the most reliable/comfortable cars I have owned. I must comment here that the cut and thrust of city/ suburban driving must pose a greater stress on any vehicle ( and the driver). It would be interesting if we compared style of driving, area of driving and how many owners stick to the maintenance schedules of their vehicles and relate this to what type of transport should be chosen for each persons needs.

I chose the Citroen for its ability to cover distances in comfort and economy. I would not chose it for a town car. However maybe it would cope.
    Allan

[PS. Re. the brake wear. I did bring this up with the Service supervisor and the pads/disks were checked and they were OK.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information