Blown out a sparkplug
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Blown out a sparkplug

Took the '23 5 speed out for a run and when accelerating --- BANG ---. I limped home and found the spark plug, still attached to it's lead, by the side of the tappet cover. It's the 4th one back nearest the bulkhead. As I suspected, I think the thread is stripped, as the plug keeps turning when screwed in. I've heard mention of "Helicoils". I think this is a new thread that is somehow inserted. I'm wondering how to tackle this repair. It's obvious, I remove the tappet cover but the tubes that the spark plugs go into are attached to the head, if I remember right. I'm hoping that I don't have to remove the head to get access to the stripped thread. Before I embark on the job, could I get some advice on how I proceed. Thankyou Michael

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Michael
    What you want is SAV-A-THREAD spark plug port repair kit,made by Helicoil.This uses a solid thread insert which is not a helicoil in the normally accepted sence . You will find the job Interesting To make a mild under statement!But siince I have done it several times it carnt be too hard,There has been much discussion here previously. I got my Kit on ebay US. Amazon have them too.Best of luck.
    Woody

1000+ Posts

Default Stripped ?

Quote Originally Posted by brian woodcock View Post
    Hi Michael
    What you want is SAV-A-THREAD spark plug port repair kit,made by Helicoil.This uses a solid thread insert which is not a helicoil in the normally accepted sence . You will find the job Interesting To make a mild under statement!But siince I have done it several times it carnt be too hard,There has been much discussion here previously. I got my Kit on ebay US. Amazon have them too.Best of luck.
    Woody
    Hi
    Woody is spot on with his reply. Ordinary helicoils can be a bit of a pain for plugs and can come out when removing the plugs in the future.

Care when tapping the hole so it is square is the tricky bit. A piece of tube or pipe to keep it central in the tube would help. If you are not confident doing the job, then probably any decent engine repair shop would do it for you at a reasonable cost I would think.
    Jaahn

Fellow Frogger!

Default thanks

Thanks Woody. Did I have to take the head off to do this work. If I can get the tube off, can I do it from the top without taking the head off. Michael

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

the tube should only be a press fit into the head and should come out
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Fellow Frogger!

Default remove metal tube

The metal tube surrounding the spark plug won't budge. I've tapped it with a rubber mallet and tried to turn it with some round pliers. I don't have a damaged head to practice on and I don't want to damage it. Any ideas on how to remove it? Michael

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Michael
    There,s no need to remove the tube,I never have,but you will have to extend some of the tools in the Kit.You can blow out the swarf by blowing up the exhaust pipe(eg with an electrolux) and turning the engine till the breeze comes through the plug hole.
    Woody

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Michael,

KD Tools manufacture a taper and Loctite locking sleeve that comes with a tap that has the standard spark plug hex head to drive it.

Using a normal 1/2 inch drive plug spanner you need to wrap one turn of electrical insulating tape around the spanner which is then acurately located in the plug tube to ensure the tap is square.

Grease around the tap picks up the alloy shavings, and cleaned a couple of times during the operation generally ensures there are no shavings in the engine.

Make certain the thread is degreased, screw the sleeve insert onto an old spark plug, tighten to buggery, remove old plug and job finished. No need to even remove the rocker cover.

Make certain you get the right length of sleeve, should match the correct reach spark plug thread length.

Regards,

fento

Fellow Frogger!

Default nearly done

Not having had experience with the repair of a stripped thread, I've proceeded cautiously, equipped with the advice I have received from this thread and some more. I was keen to see the stripped thread but the tube wouldn't budge. I didn't do any damage, as I had advice to insert a 30mm diam. solid steel "pipe" into it and turn it with a chain wrench. A 1/2 '' drive fitted perfectly. Anyway, no luck there. As advised, I proceeded with the tube in place. I was keen on the heicoil insert but I didn't want the little tab ending up in the combustion chamber. It has to be snapped off after insertion. At Bursons in Bendigo, I purchased an ABW spark plug insert (part No. 70412) for just over $53.00. Using a 1/2'' drive socket with 30mm diam. I proseeded to turn the tap supplied. It only cleaned up the stripped thread and would go no further. After carefully measuring the plug insert, it was decided that a 15mm drill bit was the correct size to drill it out. I turned it by hand using petroleum jelly to retain the swarf. This was successful and this afternoon I successfully used the tap (supplied) to cut the thread for the insert, again using liberal amounts of petroleum jelly. It's looking good! I'll make sure I get as much of the swarf out before degreasing the thread and using the loctite when inserting the thread insert. The use of a magnet has worked well for removing the tap inside the tube after winding it out. Thankyou for the advice. I feel that I have been able to make informed decisions realising I only get one chance at this. Michael

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by IDear View Post
    Not having had experience with the repair of a stripped thread, I've proceeded cautiously, equipped with the advice I have received from this thread and some more. I was keen to see the stripped thread but the tube wouldn't budge. I didn't do any damage, as I had advice to insert a 30mm diam. solid steel "pipe" into it and turn it with a chain wrench. A 1/2 '' drive fitted perfectly. Anyway, no luck there. As advised, I proceeded with the tube in place. I was keen on the heicoil insert but I didn't want the little tab ending up in the combustion chamber. It has to be snapped off after insertion. At Bursons in Bendigo, I purchased an ABW spark plug insert (part No. 70412) for just over $53.00. Using a 1/2'' drive socket with 30mm diam. I proseeded to turn the tap supplied. It only cleaned up the stripped thread and would go no further. After carefully measuring the plug insert, it was decided that a 15mm drill bit was the correct size to drill it out. I turned it by hand using petroleum jelly to retain the swarf. This was successful and this afternoon I successfully used the tap (supplied) to cut the thread for the insert, again using liberal amounts of petroleum jelly. It's looking good! I'll make sure I get as much of the swarf out before degreasing the thread and using the loctite when inserting the thread insert. The use of a magnet has worked well for removing the tap inside the tube after winding it out. Thankyou for the advice. I feel that I have been able to make informed decisions realising I only get one chance at this. Michael
    Michael - actually you do have more than just one chance. The downside is the second or third go-round requires removing the head and taking it to a machine shop

Steve

Thread Information