BX 16V window switches
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: BX 16V window switches

Default BX 16V window switches

I'm beginning to think that whoever made the switches for the Valver is related to LUCAS prince of darkness.

I used to be able to wind the front passenger window up and down by using the down button on the drivers side and the up button on the passenger. The down button on the drivers side wont work at all now so the passenger window is stuck up. Further to that the drivers side window works when it feels like it and the lhd side rear window switch is now starting to play up. I need to fiddle with it to get the window up.

Some investigating has revealed that the internals of the switches are going high resistance. So I can get voltage out of them when the motors are disconnectted, when the motors are hooked back up, 12 volts is dropped across the high resistance switch as current starts to flow.

I've got Denton at Euro Auto care to see if he can source some replacement switches. I'm also going to drench them in some contact cleaner. Surely it couldn't hurt.

Oh and too keep me on my toes the rear wiper has ceased to function. I'm guessing another dodgy switch.

Are the switches shared with the 405 ? Or any other cars ? This would allow me to widen my search. Maybe I need to purchase another BX as a source of spares, SWMBO would no doubt be unimpressed.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by b707 View Post
    I'm beginning to think that whoever made the switches for the Valver is related to LUCAS prince of darkness.

I used to be able to wind the front passenger window up and down by using the down button on the drivers side and the up button on the passenger. The down button on the drivers side wont work at all now so the passenger window is stuck up. Further to that the drivers side window works when it feels like it and the lhd side rear window switch is now starting to play up. I need to fiddle with it to get the window up.

Some investigating has revealed that the internals of the switches are going high resistance. So I can get voltage out of them when the motors are disconnectted, when the motors are hooked back up, 12 volts is dropped across the high resistance switch as current starts to flow.

I've got Denton at Euro Auto care to see if he can source some replacement switches. I'm also going to drench them in some contact cleaner. Surely it couldn't hurt.

Oh and too keep me on my toes the rear wiper has ceased to function. I'm guessing another dodgy switch.

Are the switches shared with the 405 ? Or any other cars ? This would allow me to widen my search. Maybe I need to purchase another BX as a source of spares, SWMBO would no doubt be unimpressed.
    Apart from the plastic quality, the switch quality is my main BX grumble. No doubt there are lots of S/H ones around, but why would you bother! Be good to find new ones. Good luck. I bought a BX parts car recently and the odd new switch helped my decision!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

For your immediate question- yes. They're shared with the 405, the CX Series 2, and the 505 Series 2.

The switches can be pulled apart for cleaning, but that requires a little patience and some good motor skills. Contact cleaner won't hurt. John's got the right idea- if you can find some new switches, go for it.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

405 Series 1 have the same. Usually the complaint is about the drivers side auto switch, this is much harder to source, so if yours is good count your self lucky!

I've taken a few apart and cleaned them up successfully, just pry the rocker off gently and clean all the contacts thoroughly. If it's already not working there isn't much to lose.

If anyone has broken switches send them to me!

EAI have window switches listed for a 405.

http://www.eai.net.au/p405parts9.html
    405 Mi16 2.2 litre race car up for sale soon. For details contact me on 0438 106 430.

Lap times- Sandown 1 27.9
    Phillip Island 1 53.8

Previous Frenchies-
    1988 205 Gti
    1998 306 GTi6
    1997 306 N5 sedan
    1996 306 N3 XT hatch
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Avocado
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Trak Yellow
    1975 Renault 5 Guernsey, Channel Islands
    1972 Renault 4 Guernsey, Channel Islands

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Yeah there the same in teh XM too. I cleaned them all in my CX about 10years ago, now the passenger window has to be wound down from the drivers side, and up from the passenger side It's a 5minute fix to pop them apart and clean. You'll find the CX switches have light bulbs inside each switch too (other than that there the same).

I cleaned all the XM buttons when we first got it too. There all intermittant again now. The difference is you'll end up with the seat stuck in "midget position" and not be able to drive the car .... or be left with the bloody sunroof wide open in that car

seeya,
    Shane L.
    PS: BX 16valvers are a good source for mirror switches to suite the CX too.
    Last edited by DoubleChevron; 13th April 2012 at 11:04 AM.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

1000+ Posts

Just clean the switch contacts. Not only froggy cars have that problem. It's just the nature of switches/arcing. I coat them with the Wurt stuff and hope it takes longer for the contacts to deterirate.
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

UFO

I can tell you that spilling a large cup of coke across the rear window switches in a BX (central mounted) gums them up. But a pull apart and clean up with metho did the trick.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Success froggers. As sugeestted I pulled them apart. Just the plastic rocker section. I didn't have any contact cleaner but I found a bottle of Septone wax and grease remover.

A swirl around in a jar full of the stuff and the 3 front window switchers are now serviceable. The one touch up function on the drivers window still plays up but altogether I can't believe how simple and easy it was to bring them back to life.

AF again to the rescue.

The same treatment with the grease and wax remover has also got the rear wiper switch working again. The washer has never worked so I removed the reservoir to find the wiring to the pump was unplugged. By the look of the light corrosion on the terminals, it's been unplugged for a while.Plugged it back in and the washer works fine.

So all the little electrical gremlins fixed in less than 24 hrs. Thanks AF.

UFO

Now you've blown it! The car will be preparing a surprise for you any minute now
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Now you've blown it! The car will be preparing a surprise for you any minute now
    Did somebody mention..........gremlins??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1xqrdtJs8w
    Last edited by Hotrodelectric; 14th April 2012 at 02:37 AM. Reason: forgot the link....
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

The same treatment with the grease and wax remover has also got the rear wiper switch working again. The washer has never worked so I removed the reservoir to find the wiring to the pump was unplugged. By the look of the light corrosion on the terminals, it's been unplugged for a while.Plugged it back in and the washer works fine.

All of them????????????????
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Success froggers. As sugeestted I pulled them apart. Just the plastic rocker section. I didn't have any contact cleaner but I found a bottle of Septone wax and grease remover.

A swirl around in a jar full of the stuff and the 3 front window switchers are now serviceable. The one touch up function on the drivers window still plays up but altogether I can't believe how simple and easy it was to bring them back to life.

AF again to the rescue.
    I'm curious to know what you actually pulled off what? Did you lever the rocker and its surround off the base of the switch and leave the insides alone (can you do this without springs and sundry tiny things flying everywhere?

Nice outcome.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    I'm curious to know what you actually pulled off what? Did you lever the rocker and its surround off the base of the switch and leave the insides alone (can you do this without springs and sundry tiny things flying everywhere?

Nice outcome.
    Yes that's right, after removing the switches from the trim. I levered the rockers off the base. No issues with springs or contacts flying out. Just keep the switches upright so nothing falls out.

Yes that's right, after removing the switches from the trim. I levered the rockers off the base. No issues with springs or contacts flying out. Just keep the switches upright so nothing falls out.
    Oh the one touch up/down buttons on the drivers side switch appeared harder to remove without damage. As I just wanted to get the windows operational, I just removed the rocker portion.

The one touch up/down buttons are still problematical as they don't spring back and feel as though they don't make a reliable electrical contact.

After fixing the switches. I found in a box of spares thar came with the car, rear passenger switchers and a front window switch. Unfortunately no 4 button one touch up/down drivers side switch. I think these switches would still need a clean before installation.

Thanks for that. I have a few good spares for mine - gold really.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Thread Information