CX Cruise control
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wiley_coyote

Thread: CX Cruise control

Default CX Cruise control

In a boys day out yesterday Fred and I finally got onto fitting an aftermarket cruise control to "Queeny" my 1981 CX automatic.

Advertisement

I'd already pondered most of the questions and thought about where to place the various components. The only alteration was to the placement of the underbonnet control unit.

Image 1: A - control unit
    B - vacuum line
    C - hole in firewall for cables
    D - cable from in-cab controller
    Red line shows the path of the throttle cable from its attachment to the cars throttle to the control unit.

Image 2: is underbonnet view
    Image 3: is attachment of throttle cable sleeve to existing cable
    Image 4: attachment of throttle cable to existing cable - must have minimum of 40mm free movement.
    Image 5: vacuum tube at carburettor
    Image 6: control unit on wheel arch - keep clear of bonnet strut when closed.
    Image 7: location of existing hole through firewall used to run cables
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CX Cruise control-planning.jpg   CX Cruise control-dsc8402.jpg   CX Cruise control-dsc8403.jpg   CX Cruise control-dsc8407.jpg   CX Cruise control-dsc8408.jpg   CX Cruise control-dsc8409.jpg  

CX Cruise control-dsc8410.jpg  
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

Default CX Cruise control - cabin fittings

Now to the inside work. Firstly a place to place the command module. In the recessto the right of the steering column seemed the place to go as there was a grommet through the firewall just behind it.

Image 1: AP 60 Cruise Control command module
    Image 2: cable from command module going to cruise set/cancel buttons
    Image 3: control buttons
    Image 4: cables to connect to the stop light sensor on the floor behind brake pedal
    Image 5: cables connected via piggy back male terminals
    Image 6: location of pickup for power to command module. As the horn is attached through the ignition (ie only comes on when ignition is on) it should provide the power for the unit. It will mean cutting the insulation (marked B) and soldering in the orange cable (marked A) from the command module.

Not shown is the earth cable which I placed under a screw holding the under dash panel - to the right of cable in Image 2.

Is there an easy to reach ignition controlled power source that I should use in preference to the horn power cable?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CX Cruise control-dsc8411.jpg   CX Cruise control-dsc8412.jpg   CX Cruise control-dsc8413.jpg   CX Cruise control-dsc8418.jpg   CX Cruise control-dsc8419.jpg   CX Cruise control-electric.jpg  

Last edited by rmac; 11th April 2012 at 08:22 PM. Reason: added earth info
    Current Cars
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1991 Mazda E2200

Default CX Cruise control - sensor fitting

Question for the experienced among you: where to place the sensors to pick up speed of vehicle. Suggestion is on inner drive shafts as close to the diff as possible. Which is more accessible - right hand side or left? Do I take the wheel of to gain access or is it best to come up from below?
    Current Cars
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1991 Mazda E2200

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rmac View Post
    Question for the experienced among you: where to place the sensors to pick up speed of vehicle. Suggestion is on inner drive shafts as close to the diff as possible. Which is more accessible - right hand side or left? Do I take the wheel of to gain access or is it best to come up from below?
    Use the drivers side driveshaft between the diff and carier bearing if you can. that part of the shaft only spins and doesn't move around

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Use the drivers side driveshaft between the diff and carier bearing if you can. that part of the shaft only spins and doesn't move around

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Thanks for that advice Shane. I've just had an email from Bob Senn telling me the same thing. Won't get to it again until Friday but will post more pics once I get to it.
    Current Cars
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1991 Mazda E2200

UFO

Do I take the wheel of to gain access or is it best to come up from below?
    Like anything on a CX or DS - start from the boot.

Shane's suggestion is best and for other's interest I believe it is the best place to fit CC sensors for the likes of BXs etc too.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thanks for that advice Shane. I've just had an email from Bob Senn telling me the same thing. Won't get to it again until Friday but will post more pics once I get to it.
    When I put aftermarket cruise control on my Peugeot 504 Diesel wagon way back in 1983, I place the magnet(s) on the exposed REAR axle shaft spindle and the sensor on the drum brake plate that the cylinder and works are attached to. This avoided running any more wiring in the engine compartment. Worked flawlessly. A similar approach might work on a D, dunno....

BTW, cruise control is worthless in Korea, you never get enough open road! Better to spend your money on a dash or visor mounted TV/DVD player to watch while your in the parking lots they call "expressways" here.
    Last edited by wiley_coyote; 13th April 2012 at 03:21 PM. Reason: detail, grammar

I probably should mention I've never bothered to fit one to a CX. I prefer to be in control of the cars speed. Having said that, the PSA made cars can be extremely uncomfortable to drive for any length of time (the BX for example is the most hideously disgusting car I"ve ever driven... The driving position from hell). I did consider fitting cruise control to my CX at one point (to avoid speeding fines ) .... However I soon realised I'd need an expensive stepper motor driven cruise control setup (as the turbo'd motor would be blowing rather than sucking like the vaccum actuators would require).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Went out this morning to attach the magnets. Car is low so went to start the engine
    Barely enough battery power to turn the engine over.

Had to put the charger on and now wait until their is enough to start her. This is a re-occuring problem - their seems to be a drain on the battery that flattens it after five or six days. Had the car out and about last weekend (with the battery on trickle charge for the week prior and it was indicating a fully charged battery)

Have taken the grill below the bumper off and will straighten and re-paint it while I wait. Parked too close to a log and when the car settled ...
    Current Cars
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1991 Mazda E2200

Maybe a cruise control like this one might be a better bet for CXs as they already have split speedo cable. Don't know if we have a 'GM' style speed cable whatever that means

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...d=46/prd46.htm

You can buy the sender unit separately as well

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...cat/cat311.htm

Would work on the turbo as well
    Last edited by Greg C; 13th April 2012 at 06:07 PM. Reason: more info
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

..... (the BX for example is the most hideously disgusting car I"ve ever driven... The driving position from hell)..........
    seeya,
    Shane L.
    It was owning a BX in Germany in the 1980's that introduced me to VW ownership. My back stopped aching after the switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    Maybe a cruise control like this one might be a better bet for CXs as they already have split speedo cable. Don't know if we have a 'GM' style speed cable whatever that means

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...d=46/prd46.htm

Would work on the turbo as well
    Interesting. You would need to ensure the cable connections are the same. Mine already has the trip computer plugged in at that join from memory. So you'd need to find somewhere else to put it

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Interesting. You would need to ensure the cable connections are the same. Mine already has the trip computer plugged in at that join from memory. So you'd need to find somewhere else to put it

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Oh well, If there were a simple fix, it wouldn't be a Citroen.....
    fbergincit likes this.

I probably should mention I've never bothered to fit one to a CX. I prefer to be in control of the cars speed. Having said that, the PSA made cars can be extremely uncomfortable to drive for any length of time (the BX for example is the most hideously disgusting car I"ve ever driven... The driving position from hell). I did consider fitting cruise control to my CX at one point (to avoid speeding fines ) .... However I soon realised I'd need an expensive stepper motor driven cruise control setup (as the turbo'd motor would be blowing rather than sucking like the vaccum actuators would require).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    A few s here.

Well done Ross! Most impressed. When you really have it working I'll love to see it, and perhaps pay you to do another!!

I guess Ross' desire for cruise control relates to WA geography. Our daughter has just returned from Mount Barker in the Xantia, raving about comfort and cruise control etc. WA distances and traffic densities definitely suit cruise control. I love it. Used to work a fair bit at Southern Cross, a modest 450 km east of Perth, and the single greatest improvement in my trips there in hire cars was the advent of cruise control. I could relax and watch the road instead of worrying about the speedometer and police speed traps.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Well I finally got the magnets attached to the drive shaft. Connected the power and checked it out. Guess what! It actually worked. Drove to Perth last Saturday and it was great to be able to set it and let the cruise control worry about the speed.

Also used it on Sunday when I travelled up the freeway on my way to Whiteman Park and again on my way home. Very happy with the addition.

PS sorry - No photos of fitting to drive shaft - its too b!$@#!% difficult to get to let alone get a photo without a hoist.
    Current Cars
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1991 Mazda E2200

Well I finally got the magnets attached to the drive shaft. Connected the power and checked it out. Guess what! It actually worked. Drove to Perth last Saturday and it was great to be able to set it and let the cruise control worry about the speed.

Also used it on Sunday when I travelled up the freeway on my way to Whiteman Park and again on my way home. Very happy with the addition.

PS sorry - No photos of fitting to drive shaft - its too b!$@#!% difficult to get to let alone get a photo without a hoist.
    Well done! Missed you at the CCD as I'd only just got home overnight and it was too much to contemplate.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Thats great. Our BX had a cruise control with the magnets on the driveshaft. It never worked though.

What we all want to know, does it make any difference to fuel economy?
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

JohnW: I did check at the SIVA group to see if you were there. I can at least give you some advice on where to place the various components now - and how to get to some of the more inaccessible places

GregC: I've not refuelled since the trip up and back - in the CX anyway. I'm away for ten weeks so will get to it on my return and let you know what it came out to. Will have to do a few calculations from previous fills to see what the comparison is.
    Current Cars
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1991 Mazda E2200

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    Thats great. Our BX had a cruise control with the magnets on the driveshaft. It never worked though.

What we all want to know, does it make any difference to fuel economy?
    Ours too - a Dana unit and by the time we got the car it wasn't working either!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

JohnW: I did check at the SIVA group to see if you were there. I can at least give you some advice on where to place the various components now - and how to get to some of the more inaccessible places

GregC: I've not refuelled since the trip up and back - in the CX anyway. I'm away for ten weeks so will get to it on my return and let you know what it came out to. Will have to do a few calculations from previous fills to see what the comparison is.
    Thanks Ross. Ireland?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Germany, Poland, Hungary and a three day sojourn to Switzerland. Around six weeks and then around three in Eire.

Picked up a new C4 Picasso (1.6 HDi with six speed manual) yesterday on our arrival in Frankfurt then drove 520km up highway 7 to Hamburg. Something surreal about cruising at 120-30kph and having others pass you and disappear within ten seconds - 200kph plus. Grant Dorrington and Bob Johnston would have apoplexies. All that speed and not a single accident nor deaths for the trip.

So much for our nany state.
    Current Cars
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1991 Mazda E2200

Germany, Poland, Hungary and a three day sojourn to Switzerland. Around six weeks and then around three in Eire.

Picked up a new C4 Picasso (1.6 HDi with six speed manual) yesterday on our arrival in Frankfurt then drove 520km up highway 7 to Hamburg. Something surreal about cruising at 120-30kph and having others pass you and disappear within ten seconds - 200kph plus. Grant Dorrington and Bob Johnston would have apoplexies. All that speed and not a single accident nor deaths for the trip.

So much for our nany state.
    Sounds wonderful. Have a great time. You're driving a bit slowly for the conditions.

Alex was in Budapest a few weeks back - it was -13 but no doubt will have warmed up - it is a very interesting and lovely place. Have a "palinka" for me.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Thread Information