How do you fill glazing?
  • Help

Default How do you fill glazing?

Finally finished de blinging the CX over the last few weeks, and attending to some of it's little problems like a scrape I put in the side. (enjoy some pics below )

But how do I EASILY fill the cracks formed by the paint glazing? (see the last pic)....I've sanded a lot of the roof back...but not to metal, I wanted to just use a filler, prime, and lightly spray. Any ideas???

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How do you fill glazing?-picture-4.jpg   How do you fill glazing?-picture-7.jpg   How do you fill glazing?-picture-5.jpg   How do you fill glazing?-picture-6.jpg   How do you fill glazing?-picture-8.jpg   How do you fill glazing?-picture-9.jpg  

Last edited by Stuart Dammery; 12th April 2012 at 08:23 AM.
    1980 CX2400
    2000 Xantia Wagon

If you do not take it back to solid primer or bare metal the CRAZING will return before your eyes as the paint dries the paint as it is is stuffed the chemical cohesion is gone due to years of heat and ultra violet .
    you maybe lucky and it could be the clear top coat applied to blend in some previous repair but to be on the safe Side if your going to put any work into it back to metal and get a friend to blow some 2 pak on it
    IF WASN'T FOR THE RAIN AND THE SUN EVERYTHING WOULD LAST FOREVER
    Last edited by ARCHRIVAL; 11th April 2012 at 12:18 PM.
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

It has to go back to bare metal. You have no choice. the existing coating has completely failed.

BTW: it's only 1/2dozen screws to remove the stainless trim and boot hinges. It'll look pretty bad if you just try to mask like that. It would take less time to remove that trim than to mask it

You need to grind that rear quater panel back to bare metal and work the metal a little and fill it. You can't just bog over the existing damage.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I'll sand back to metal then...and Shane most of the shots are before and afters...the rear panel was fixed properly....so all done bar the roof.
    1980 CX2400
    2000 Xantia Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Dammery View Post
    I'll sand back to metal then...and Shane most of the shots are before and afters...the rear panel was fixed properly....so all done bar the roof.
    Just paint strip it. You'll be there for a month of Sundays sanding it. Paint stripper will have it all off in a hour. Then clean it up using 80 grit paper and an electric sander. It'll be ready to prime in a couple of hours.

We used to use a product called isolator and was intended to seal off old repairs and damaged paint to stop it bleeding through, don't know if you can still get it.

Best way is to strip it back to metal and start again
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

frenchconnect@bigpond.com

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Now there's a good idea...thanks dave
    1980 CX2400
    2000 Xantia Wagon

Woops ... I thought they were all the befores To get a good job it's all in the preperation. Think 100hours prep == 1hour painting... It's a hell of a task..... but a lot of fun

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Dammery View Post
    Now there's a good idea...thanks dave
    Careful with stripper on a CX roof. You have all the crevices of that sunroof there. keep the stripper away from the sunroof and edges of the roof. The CX roof guttering is where layers get spot welded together. If you get stripper into the seems/sunroof it'll come back and bite you later when your trying to paint it (unless you can guarantee you have cleaned every last bit of it off).

One of those stripping discs in a rotary polisher/sander would probaby be safer if you keep it moving and don't overheat any of the metal.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

most of the dameage is centralised...so can keep away from the gutters and sunroof. She'll never be perfect, doesn't need to be, but she looks so much better after removing the horrible two piece spoiler and all the reflective tape.
    1980 CX2400
    2000 Xantia Wagon

Fellow Frogger

You might as well just unbolt the two boot hinges as they are only held on by 2 nuts/studs either side. You then eliminate an edge.

What we used to do was put masking tape, sometimes a couple of layers thick over the edges and bits we didn't want the stripper to damage, like window rubbers.

When doing bonnets and horizontal panels mask up the edges along the panel gaps so stripper doesn't get between the panels.

Get a good stronge steel scraper and off you go.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

frenchconnect@bigpond.com

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Fellow Frogger

The trick with steel scrapers is to keep the end sharp with a file. Hold the scraper so it's standing up on a flat file and draw it along the file to get a square edge at the end of the blade. I find it works best near the head of the file. Then remove any rough edges by drawing both sides of the scraper blade flat across the file. You are less likely to scratch the surface this way. It makes a significant difference and you need to sharpen it fairly often. Also, a roll of coarse steel wool and proper gloves will prove helpful.

Hey Stu.....Wasn't that fence of yours was it? Last time I recal I was in a CX there it jumped out at me!

Same one Andy...but I did a better job than you did LOL
    1980 CX2400
    2000 Xantia Wagon

1000+ Posts

A couple of things I have used in the last 12 months -one in extreme circumstances was a belt sander -wonderful when making a mate's C20 Chev tow truck look good after punching a Hyundai down the road 100 ft. after it blocked his path-Thats what you Getz when you don't check the rear view mirror!!!
    The other is the fibre wheels that are around now[Times are a changing Dave-They are grouse!!]
    I would think it unwise to use on fibreglass but whoever is watching do yourself a favour and grab one at the hardware joint next time you are there.When you need it you will be glad you bought it.
    Bunnings definitely have-Josco Brumby strip-it discs.About 12 buckeroos.

Pekay

Thread Information