sagging screen rubber!
  • Help

Default sagging screen rubber!

Hello, just bought a DSuper 5 and within 24 hours I've dropped a bollock! I applied Waxoyl behind the front screen rubber and now it's like a sulking 3 year old's bottom lip, it's gone all baggy and away from the stainless steel triim!
    I cleaned the Waxoyl off with white spirit and then meths.

Has anyone else had this problem? Will the rubber return to normal? Should I stick it to the stainless steel trim? Should I replace the rubber completely?

Advertisement

What a balls up!

It is a relatively simple job to remove and replace a DS windscreen. Given that you were already concerned about rust in that area why not pull out the glass, give the area a proper clean up and fit a new rubber? It should only be an easy day's work.

http://www.franzose.de/en/Citroen-DS...ngen/ANR35019/

There are two major areas liable to rust, one where the screw holds the joiner piece at top centre of the screen and the other at the base of the side pillars where the rubber finishes... there is a blob of sealant there that tends to hold water.

Since you will also have the bonnet off you can also treat the areas under the bonnet hinges as rust there can destroy the car.

Come to think of it, you could also replace the roof seal while you are at it and treat the roof frame too. If the roof seal has leaked and there is water damage to the frame also check carefully the front floor where fixed to the sill sections.

Don't forget to remove the B and C pillar trim as the C pillars especially can be perforated by rust allowing water to access the rear parcel shelf and even the fuel tank compartment under the back seat. The tank is easily removed to rectify rust here though not so easy to replace. A thorough cleaning of the tank, internal sealant and new gauge sender unit is a good idea too.

If the fuel tank compartment has rust check also the floor sections in the rear anti roll bar compartment and the trailing arm mounts.

For parcel shelf repair you will need to remove the rear window which is as easy as the front screen. This will give access to the areas below the window and also parts rusted by the boot seal, and the rain gutters revealed by removing the rear guards. If rust is found here you should also inspect the rear bumper mounts.

PS Congratulations on your new D Super 5 and welcome to Aussie Frogs !

Below is a photo I took of replacing my windscreen rubber:

And another of the screen in place:

Last edited by michaelr; 11th April 2012 at 12:22 PM. Reason: PS
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

NNNNNNNNoooooooooooooooooooooo...... Don't open pandoras box

You have been warned...... I'll post piccies of what you'll likely find if you pull roof and screen ..... Even where your faced with an extremely good rust free hull.... You really don't want me to scare you

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    NNNNNNNNoooooooooooooooooooooo...... Don't open pandoras box

You have been warned...... I'll post piccies of what you'll likely find if you pull roof and screen ..... Even where your faced with an extremely good rust free hull.... You really don't want me to scare you

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Come on Shane, no need to scare the guy. I was just suggesting a proactive way to maintain the car. Maybe I got a bit carried away.

Seriously though Badabec, it would be worth while simply replacing the windscreen rubber if it is at all suspect. The glass is held in place by just a few bolts and brackets. I am sure you could find a Citroen club member locally who could give you a bit of guidance if needed.

Actually I reassembled my car with the old seal as there was just no way I could get the screen into place single handed with the new rubber so had to leave that job for another day. It is definitely a two person job.
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by badabec View Post
    Hello, just bought a DSuper 5 and within 24 hours I've dropped a bollock! I applied Waxoyl behind the front screen rubber and now it's like a sulking 3 year old's bottom lip, it's gone all baggy and away from the stainless steel triim!
    I cleaned the Waxoyl off with white spirit and then meths.

Has anyone else had this problem? Will the rubber return to normal? Should I stick it to the stainless steel trim? Should I replace the rubber completely?

What a balls up!
    You guys are so mean...

...but oh so true, if you have an unknown quantity, you will need to investigate possibilities/ probabilities of rust. As Michael has well described at least remove the inner C Pillar trim and have a dig around with a screwdriver - this will give a good indication that your roof is leaking or not - water runs down the inside roof gutter and rots the gutter rails, C-Pillar and rear parcel shelf.

I'd definitely vote for a new windscreen rubber, so you will need to remove the front screen, this will also expose any potential rust in the screen frame etc.

New 'Grey' or 'Black' rubber can be purchased through Citroworld, 45Euro less VAT? Freight is usually cheaper out of the Netherlands.
    http://www.citroworld.com/tableaux/i...42&itemId=1691

Once the screen has been re-fitted you'll need a soft mastic to seal the underside to the scuttle.

Have look at the video in this post, having a friend around to help would be a good thing.

GreenBlood’s D(very)Special Rejuvenation 2009>

...and here for the mastic in place.

GreenBlood’s D(very)Special Rejuvenation 2009>

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger

If he's lucky, the inside of his C-pillar will look as good as this one ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sagging screen rubber!-leftcpillar_baseinside_sml.jpg  

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

They really are strange the way they rust. When my father bought his DS ( it was the one David Cavanagh had for sale many years back ....). It looked like a bucket of sh!t, but drove really nicely and the hull on it look brilliant. Infact I'd go as far as saying it's one of the best "un-restored" hulls I've ever seen.

We put it up on his hoist, pulled the pallas sill covers off, checked under and over it. Ran our hand around the roof gutters in the car (they felt excellent), pealed back the windcreen rubber at the mid point.... the screw holding the trim looked to be into good solid metal .....

Pull the rear guards.... and it's the sort of car you wouldn't dream of "restoring". It's so sound you'd just leave it alone.

Even the seal holders look good. They are good enough you could patch them up and paint them (I'd be converting it to that modern sealing rubbers if it was my car though).... ... Bloody incredible right ?? The boot floor and walls appear to be perfect and unrestored/bodged.

Under the carpets.... perfect, untouched heavy pallas sound deadening pads .... *heaps* of sound proofing. The hull looks damn near as good as the day it left the factory with the carpets out on the inside.

Do you guys really want to see what was found when we popped the roof off...... It's scarey

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sagging screen rubber!-a1.jpg   sagging screen rubber!-a2.jpg   sagging screen rubber!-a3.jpg   sagging screen rubber!-a4.jpg   sagging screen rubber!-a5.jpg   sagging screen rubber!-a6.jpg  

sagging screen rubber!-a7.jpg  
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Thread Information