radiator crud
  • Help

Thread: radiator crud

Fellow Frogger!

Default radiator crud

I think that in the past I have been a little sceptical about the value of the "panty-hose in the top radiator hose" filter championed by the Paas bros and others. No longer, I am now a fully-paid-up convert.
    Attached is a photo of a "sock" that I've just pulled out of the top hose of my early DS19. It had completely filled the hose and was obviously restricting flow, but it was still pulling crap out of the system.
    Good one, Gilberthenry.
    roger

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails radiator crud-tophosecrud_1.jpg  

It can't be beat - all of my D's past and present have Razzamatazz under the bonnet with thanks to Messrs Paas.

I've tried fishnets for a slightly Gallic touch, but they've proven to be useless
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Quote Originally Posted by lhs2.1 View Post
    I think that in the past I have been a little sceptical about the value of the "panty-hose in the top radiator hose" filter championed by the Paas bros and others. No longer, I am now a fully-paid-up convert.
    Attached is a photo of a "sock" that I've just pulled out of the top hose of my early DS19. It had completely filled the hose and was obviously restricting flow, but it was still pulling crap out of the system.
    Good one, Gilberthenry.
    roger
    Wow! Cool matchbook, btw!

Quote Originally Posted by donat View Post
    .....I've tried fishnets for a slightly Gallic touch, but they've proven to be useless
    Does the forum have a "Post of the Year" Award?

Fellow Frogger

The fishnets would only attract Alexander Downer!

So, why are we getting crud anyway? Was it a dirty system that's now running proper coolant and becoming cleaner?

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    The fishnets would only attract Alexander Downer!

So, why are we getting crud anyway? Was it a dirty system that's now running proper coolant and becoming cleaner?
    He'll be talking about his DS19, I reckon a 55 year old DS that's possibly "rested" for many years over the last few decades possibly wouldn't have a spotless cooling system. Certainly my fathers traction collected a HUGE amount of crap in the stocking we fitted (it's engine had been sitting on the floor out of the car for at least 15years from memory).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!

Wow, I'll do this at the weekend, does it matter which end of the hose its at? ie: radiator end or engine end??

Cheers

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet View Post
    Wow, I'll do this at the weekend, does it matter which end of the hose its at? ie: radiator end or engine end??

Cheers

Ed
    Usually seen it done on the return line to the radiator (top line) on the engine side, just after the thermostat. Install it on the radiator end and you risk blocking the radiator tubes, not to mention the difficulty in removing it when the sock expands inside the radiator tank.

Installing it on the lower (suction) hose to the engine block could cause the water pump to cavitate = disaster!

This technique can remove junk that has been floating around in the system for years, including factory casting sand!
    Last edited by wiley_coyote; 11th April 2012 at 02:26 AM. Reason: clarification

Fellow Frogger!

Default stocking

It has to be easy to clean and change so we've always installed the stocking at the top hose where it joins the radiator. In all the years of using this filtering system, we have had no problem with it being drawn into the tubes. Even if we've cut it a bit long and the end can be seen when the radiator cap is removed; you will see it "wallowing" about like a giant slug. BE WARNED! A Traction radiator doesn't have the pressure overflow under the radiator cap. A very short stocking (the sock) must be used to prevent the stocking from reaching the pressure release hole on the top of the radiator on the passenger side. If it does reach it, it can block the hole and a build up of pressure will blow the seams in the radiator. Was it Steeley, up Maleny way that first suggested the stocking method. Remember to clean or replace it often until the system is clean. I get my supply from the local OP SHOP. Michael

Thread Information