D Special various
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default D Special various

My recently restored D in now on the road and running well.I have fitted a Powerspark Electronic Ign Kit which goes fine,time will tell!I got a set of leather seat covers off ebay uk,they,re good value at 700 pounds,but not equal to the ones from Citron Pieces.
    My main problem ot the moment is damned rattles,there seems to be one behind the dash,although I,m shure its not.maybe its the bonnet,Does anyone know what the two L shaped brackets which seem to be placed to support the windscreen,but dont ,attached with 2 M5 scews are really supposed to do?
    Woody

Advertisement

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by brian woodcock View Post
    My recently restored D in now on the road and running well.I have fitted a Powerspark Electronic Ign Kit which goes fine,time will tell!I got a set of leather seat covers off ebay uk,they,re good value at 700 pounds,but not equal to the ones from Citron Pieces.
    My main problem ot the moment is damned rattles,there seems to be one behind the dash,although I,m shure its not.maybe its the bonnet,Does anyone know what the two L shaped brackets which seem to be placed to support the windscreen,but dont ,attached with 2 M5 scews are really supposed to do?
    Woody
    When working on the motor etc. you can set the bonnet to a vertical position and set using the two brackets.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

The bonnet is set in a vertical position by using a bracket that fits in two holes in the bonnet hinge arms. There are drawings of such a tool in the manuals. I made one by bending a 6 inch nail (and hammering out its bullet head).

The l-shaped brackets set the height of the rear of the bonnet in closed position.

Roger

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    The bonnet is set in a vertical position by using a bracket that fits in two holes in the bonnet hinge arms. There are drawings of such a tool in the manuals. I made one by bending a 6 inch nail (and hammering out its bullet head).

The l-shaped brackets set the height of the rear of the bonnet in closed position.

Roger
    I stand corrected, thanks Roger - always something new to learn and store for future use

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Dear God I wish my bonnet fitted better on the passenger side. Amen.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Response

I,m pleased that consensus has been found on that issue.I wiil now go down to the shed and adjust the L brackets.I recall that the,re also some M7 adjusting screws with a rubber buffer,they must play a role too.I have noticed that the rear of the bonnet moves around quite a bit at speed ,no doubt that is causing some rattles.
    Woody

Default bonnet adjustments

My understanding of those L brackets is that, once correctly adjusted, they will 'pull down' the bonnet when closed. In other words, the 2 'points' at the end of the bonnet hinge (pointing backwards) will hook below the L bracket and thus keep the bonnet firmly down when closed. Without the L brackets, you can actually lift up the bonnet at the rear an inch or so and may cause rattling/flapping at speed.

The bolt, which adjusts the horizontal height of the bonnet at the rear does indeed need a rubber cap. If you look carefully at the hinge, you'll see that it will sits on the hinge when closed. Without the rubber, you'll have metal on metal.

Then the hinge itself can go back- and forwards; the bonnet can also be adjusted back- and forwards. All in all, plenty of meccano to go in all directions! The final result should give you a perfectly fitting bonnet.

Cheers,

Bernard

Quote Originally Posted by brian woodcock View Post
    My recently restored D in now on the road and running well.I have fitted a Powerspark Electronic Ign Kit which goes fine,time will tell!
    Brian,

Which kit did you use? And how is it performing?

Thanks,

Toby

Fellow Frogger

Here is a clip holding a bonnet up vertically ... it's a rod or long bolt bent into a C shape.

D Special various-d_bonnet_clip.jpg

I think you will find an extension on each bonnet hinge. When set correctly these extension hook under the "L" shaped bracket on the base of the A pillar. They are meant to secure the trailing edge of the bonnet. If they are not set correctly you will see the bonnet lift and float at the A pillar when driving at speed or into a strong headwind. They will also prevent the bonnet from moving forward and rubbing on the leading edge of the front doors.

Thread Information