1972 DSpecial - front hub/driveshaft greasing
  • Help

Default 1972 DSpecial - front hub/driveshaft greasing

I reckoned it was about time to run a grease gun over the various grease nipples on my 1972 DSpecial - but noticed the existing grease on the front wheel hub and driveshaft grease nipples is a translucent red colour. What type of grease might this be, and should I be using a particular type of grease here? A quick look through the Autobooks manual doesn't seem to mention anything, apart from "Shell Retinax AM" for the tri-ax units, to protect the teflon bushes. Any ideas?

Also, where else should I be greasing, now I'm at it. For example, my old Dyane had all sorts of odd places needing regular greasing - king-pins, knife edges, etc etc. Any similar odd spots on a DSpecial, or is it just the front hub/driveshaft grease nipples (and are there any more I should be
    looking for?)

Cheers!

Advertisement

http://www.agua.nu/ds-files/tony-jac...be%20Chart.pdf
    Found in less than 60 seconds searching in the STICKY at the top of the forum.
    The Manual Thread
    3rd post, click on link, look for D, green CD, lubrication chart.

Hope this helps.

That's great - just what's needed! So, anti-roll bar and rear suspension balls, on top of the driveshaft universal joints which I'd found. On my car there are also grease nipples on the top and bottom of the front wheel hubs, not shown on this chart, which I presume feed the front wheel hub/bearings.

So, it seems from the chart that there grease types are nothing too special - universal joint and wheel bearing grease respectively. What do you reckon the red coloured grease is that was used previously - anything particular?

It's the high temperature stuff surely?

Quote Originally Posted by danspooner View Post
    What do you reckon the red coloured grease is that was used previously - anything particular?
    Dan, without appearing too cynical, there would be any number of red coloured greases on the Australian market in the past 20 years and it would be impossible to be accurate in any analysis without definitive, accurate description.
    Red grease doesn't quite define anything accurate other than a colour.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by danspooner View Post
    That's great - just what's needed! So, anti-roll bar and rear suspension balls, on top of the driveshaft universal joints which I'd found. On my car there are also grease nipples on the top and bottom of the front wheel hubs, not shown on this chart, which I presume feed the front wheel hub/bearings.

So, it seems from the chart that there grease types are nothing too special - universal joint and wheel bearing grease respectively. What do you reckon the red coloured grease is that was used previously - anything particular?
    Dan,

Front wheel bearings are enclosed and lubricated for life. The grease nipples you are referring to are for the upper and lower ball joints attached to wheel bearing casting. For the rear articulate joint - get a grease gun needle (will look like the attached drawing). This will allow you to just slip the needle into the rubber cover without having to remove anything.

The nipple on the drive shaft does not provide grease for the Hooke joint needle bearings (they are permanently greased). It only provides grease for the internal pivot. Do ensure that all the needle bearings are covered with their nylon dust/water caps, however.

Depending on year of car and repair parts installed in the past - you may also have nipples on the tie rod ends. In the front wheel wells there should be three rubber plugs on each side - you will find grease nipples behind all three. It can be hard to nearly impossible to adequately get grease into them if the gun is not equipped with a flexible hose. Even if you think you have a solid connection, use a flashlight and watch the nipple area as you inject grease.

Steve

Thanks all for your advice - and noted re the red grease, seems it could be more or less anything, rather than something particular that's always red.

Cheers!

Fellow Frogger!

I recentely found this info on the DS front pivot and hub.

http://www.citroen-ds-id.com/index.h...Pivot_Hub.html

Also navigate through the links on the right hand side and find the advise on how to install a grease nipple to keep them lasting for longer than eternity!

There is also a complete PDF you can download...

As my front right wheel bearing is making a groaning sound i think this will be my next investment!

Cheers,

Harley

Thread Information